Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 18, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #6,106 of 9,173
Actually I did more A/B on enable / disable of the Sound Enhancement App and again it really depends on the song. Some I can't tell the difference while others I can but very slight.

Yes, it is not easy to observe. That is a for sure thing :wink:. Don't worry though. It will always be there to play with :D. It really did take me a while before I could confirm it, and paid attention to it. Sony wouldn't be a fool to make it so "obvious" :wink:

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #6,107 of 9,173
  It took me a few days to really get used to the sound signature of the Z7 because at first I was a bit underwhelmed. Once I had enough brain burn-in time I fell in love with them and haven't reached for any of my other hp's much at all. 

Same here - out of the box, I was "underwhelmed".
But the more I listened to them, the more I liked
and appreciated them.

I continue reaching for my other headphones - but I've come to the conclusion
that the Z7 is a remarkable piece of engineering, workmanship, ergonomics, artistry, and
technology.

Oct 19, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #6,109 of 9,173
I just had a little brain fart, I totally see why it sounds like I converted 320 mp3 to flac. I was watching my OU Sooners kicking the crap out of K State and just flat out made I stupid mistake.

Anyways, I have to say I'm loving the quality of the flac files as I listen to them through my Z7. The only thing I hate is how much room they take up. I only have a 32g micro SD card so I ordered a 128g that I should have next week.

Be sure to get a fast card (Class 10, UHS 1) of good quality
to maximize your write speeds and minimize glitches.
I recommend Samsung Pro (not sure if they make the Pro in
micro format) and Sony (Sony makes several versions; choose
the fastest).

Samsung does make the 64GB in the Pro version; it's considerably more expensive than the Sony.
(I just checked it for you :))
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Class-Adapter-MB-MG64DA-AM/dp/B00IVPU88U/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1445238880&sr=8-5&keywords=class+10+micro+sdhc+64+samsung

Sony makes a 64 and a 128.  I use Sony cards in my DSLR's, but I haven't used this particular model.
Still, I  trust that they know what they're doing in this regard.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Memory-SR64UY2A-TQ-VERSION/dp/B00X1404E4/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Memory-SR64UY2A-TQ-VERSION/dp/B00X1404E4/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

BTW, The 64G is a third of the price of the 128G and does hold a lot of music, even in FLAC.

Oct 19, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #6,110 of 9,173
http://www.head-fi.org/t/639945/can-the-read-speed-of-micro-sd-effect-audio-quality

The faster the card doesn't necessarily mean the less jitter / noise. Sony's Premium Sound micro SD card is actually slower than their generic counterparts.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #6,111 of 9,173
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/639945/can-the-read-speed-of-micro-sd-effect-audio-quality

The faster the card doesn't necessarily mean the less jitter / noise. Sony's Premium Sound micro SD card is actually slower than their generic counterparts.

I'm not sure if that speed would affect jitter or noise;
I don't see why it should.  It does however affect the
amount of time spent loading information onto the card.

As to the Sony Premium Sound micro SD card, that's
simply a marketing name.  For all I know It could be a
Class 4 in actual fact.  That's why I specified a 
Class 10 UHS 1 micro SD card.  I've had good
experience with the Sony and Samsung brands
but I imagine there are other good quality cards
(and some not so good...)

Oct 21, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #6,113 of 9,173
Got my Kimber 1.2m cable today. Initially I wasn't getting anything on the right channel and freaked me out. Upon closer inspection there were glue residue on the miniplug's tip from the packaging. Problem solved! :D

A little bit more transparent again with the mids and highs, very nice!  BTW the cabling is not as stiff as I thought (since I have old school Black/Blue Kimber 8TC for my home speakers and those are much stiffer).

I re-read the translation on the Sony Headphone Park segment on the development of the MDR-Z7, and yes it was designed to be capable of being driven straight off the Walkman, but to unleash its full potential it will need a PHA-3 and balanced cables.

Development: http://www.sony.jp/headphone/special/park/kiseki/insidez7/

Review: http://www.sony.jp/headphone/special/park/kiseki/reviewz7/

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #6,114 of 9,173
You don't need the PHA-3 if you can have TRRS out on your ZX2 to Z7. The thing is though, the Z7 is already warm, thick in sound signature....the ZX2 is also warm and thick by nature....they both combined to be bassy, cozy, wet, fluid, romantic....but if you are a fan of more analytical sound. It won't satisfy you. However for fluidity and musical flows this combination is one of the best. It stay right on the edge of musically fluidity and analytical sounds.

So yeah, if someone came from the R10 or SA5000, they will not find the details retrieval here from ZX2+Z7, only pure musical and romance

Best to balance out the ZX2 signature with some brighter headphones.

I found out that it does wonderfully with !DR-SA5000....keep in mind that I am neutral, organic, realistic tastes. But I still like the Z7 bass and fluidity. Best to have both :D like me lol....

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #6,115 of 9,173
One of the big reasons I bought my Fiio X3II when I got my Z7 is to balance out the warmth of the headphone with a more neutral less warm player. At first I didn't like it very much and love the way my HM-601LE sounded, which from the way you described the ZX2 and Z7 pairing is a lot alike. Once I added my little C&C BH amp to the equation I like the pairing of the X3II and Z7 a lot now especially with flac files. I still use my 601LE from time to time but most of my listening these days is done from the X3II.

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #6,117 of 9,173
  Development: http://www.sony.jp/headphone/special/park/kiseki/insidez7/

Review: http://www.sony.jp/headphone/special/park/kiseki/reviewz7/

Is there an English translation available by any chance?

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #6,118 of 9,173

Is there an English translation available by any chance?

This is Bing translate to English:

Can play in retrospect says that hires the quality synonymous with being about 15 years ago, the CD of the top high-quality disk media as born SA-CD already reaches 100 kHz a world was born. Its high was born as the headphones for a play area is QUALIA010 and Sony headphones during more than a decade, has faced the world hires in. Over this long period of MDR-Z7 emerged as the flagship model of the Sony a new hires sound machine were aged.

If it hires world compared to CD, 96kHz/24bit 3 times 192kHz/24bit in any boasts about 6.5 times the amount of information presented. Even the type of reverb ingredients are added in the recording process, as well as the atmosphere of "sound image" vocal and instrumental detail to delicately express the recording (sensation) or distance to look sharp as a real space. The sheer amount of information that is space sound depth and separation of the individual parts that can reproduce the natural harmonics also extended frequency ranges can be played, especially perceptible difference, "sound fields".
chapter1_img1.jpg

And hires sound quality has reached a level can be expressed without environmental musicians to make music that is master sound loss. So far excellent hi-res instrument compatible headphones music information of the master class that loss of air, or even point can minimize the taste direct from your ear. Focusing on the "Plane wave" and air propagation in MDR-Z7 nature sounds, reach the ear process. Headphones that let you play even close to the speakers natural acoustics, and hires an ideal world. That can cover the size of the person's ear to make this plane wave propagation and large-diameter 70 mm driver unit is required is essential. But with very difficult to juggle a great 70 mm driver unit can enjoy hi-res source dynamics, delicacy, spread as a flagship to 100 kHz-band and in-band audio response. Many things aluminum coat LCP diaphragm to enable the repeat simulation and prototyping, to consider the shape or material, with full bandwidth high internal loss and flat was adopted as a member of the ideal.

Realized high gas tightness with a comfortable wearing ear wrap by the ergonomic three-dimensional sewing earpads, enfolding structure even in the sealed adoption. Combines high sound insulation, and even the microscopic level signal containing more hi-res source can even properly intonation better expressed you.

chapter2_main.jpg

Listen to the sound of MDR-Z7

chapter2_title.png

As the sound trend of MDR-Z7 and clear mid and high range 70 mm driver unit's rich in the low and very stable and balanced blend is. Hear the sound image density in smooth, deep draw depth three-dimensional sound field. Also individual parts well separation, high-resolution and dense with a solid sense of sound. Excellent sound cemented the exhilarating sound field model of the sealed type and does not seem exceptional, full quality of hires air of reality. Really love this cozy counterpoint vocals float and extrusion-based massive sonic manic (192kHz/24bit) by Kaela Kimura in Hi-Res for Walkman NW-A16 bridge MDR-Z7, Sony headphones WEB CM videos tied up tune also listen, but don't think of entry-level players and better separation. Voice overlaps over and over again by the vivid phrase synthesizer, guitar and delay seen in the clear. Drum to distort intentionally attack nor the body of clear, loud, TAM felt rich.

MDR-Z7 can experience the world this combination quality of hires, but the potential to achieve fully portable headphone amplifier and can enjoy the charm of the hi-res source even if combined. Effects processing and try to play a digital connection for NW-A16 and PHA-3 were put on vocals stand out more clearly. In splendid isolation of the kick drum and bass, the thickness of the body of each was separately drawn cleverly. Thumping it and sinking low thickness of well being, very rhythmic. Even depictions of float in a clear tone of an electric guitar and synthesizers, deep reverb depth, also before and after each part of the explanation. And above all good 肉付ki vocal presence is very natural, and break the rhythm and the quiet moments are also air humidity sensation in the mouth than dew's become. In cooperation with the KIMBER KABLE was born here in high-quality cable MUC-B12SM1(1.2m stereo mini plug) to try replacing and improves smoothness and thickness of the sound image. Converge better elastic base but better Center of gravity low stability is increased. Vocals look more stand out in meticulous detail in the mouth, with sound in the Center. Rich, elegant and sound.

chapter2_img1.jpg
In addition to pursue high-quality KIMBER balanced cables are also available.

Followed by cooperation with the same KIMBER KABLE high-quality balance connection cable MUC-B20BL1(2.0m three-pole mini-plug) with bright and crisp sound, increase still further and are seen to listen to any combination. Excellent separation of each part, for a variety of effects and every one has come to the sound of space spread. Vocals mouth movements are very dense and like come up to breathe. Individual instruments sound clear and without the additional sense of fresh sounds rise and fall. That realization also intended for realistic reproduction of the sound Studio, artist and engineer low could taste real, lively sounds like more grip on the region, as in a high-quality live music and hog, you're listening.

chapter3_main.jpg

Production in the "MADE IN JAPAN" enabled the pursuit of high-quality attention to detail.

Influence of hires

chapter3_title.png

MDR-Z7's representation of the tsukuri出senai on the headphones and hires and Sony presented one of the answers. In a rare models that are both good pushing sound representation in addition to the realistic reproduction of difficult to represent in the headphone world "sound fields" in dense only in sealed headphones, and also. It's powerful dynamism that make sounds clean, simply but not with music and fresh air heat is known as better freshness direct to hear. Forget that increased purity hires environment with music that is very happy that is not "sound" is at this point that you get their thoughts on the "music" without much loss. MDR-Z7 hold them upon point properly, would say it can taste the breath with music brought hires, as well as audio like sound at the same time, filled with ideals of the era's flagship model.

product_title.png

Large 70 mmHD driver a 100 kHz playback MDR-Z7​

product_image.png

Audio critic: Takashi Iwai
In 1977, Nagano Prefecture. After graduating from school acoustic school East release, worked in the recording Studio. After stints in the major game manufacturers started writing in acoustic magazine. He also still engaged in the voluntary recording work, using a portable recorder student book, journal. Professional and also a number of coverage of the recording / SR, consumer audio, game and anime production. Electronics began elementary school-held interest in audio, start own balls in tube amplifiers. Early heading the affinity with the world of "MOE" and "audio", written as "sound girl duo - acoustic girl -' (Byakuya-Shobo). As supervisor in the "anime audio' (publishing). Was first reviewed in the journal of commercial products is QUALIA010, and later heavily involved with the world of headphones & earphones. And ASIA JOURNEY, TOTO, BOSTON, CHICAGO, Billy Joel, 80s rock loving.

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #6,120 of 9,173
Don't matter what they say...Z7 is no comparision to SA5000

Let me remind you kindly, only very kindly, this thread is about the MDR Z7. I am sure the new Sennheiser Orpheus2 might also be a little bit better than the MDR Z7........ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back