Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 17, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #6,091 of 9,173
I've been looking at some desktop amps and I've never seen the H10 before so that's one I'll look into.

Also I've been getting a lot of albums I have in 320mp3 and converting them into flac because I can notice a difference now. I never bought into the whole flac thing because I thought 320's sounded the same until now. The difference isn't huge at all, its like the 320 is a Porsche 911 and the flac is a Porsche 911 GT3, same car but one performs a little better than the other. The flac files just sound a bit cleaner over all compared to the 320mp3's and I notice it a lot in the bass. The bass from my flac files have a smoother sound and the sub-bass is really nice. The mids and high are also a little better and I feel that there's a darker background now which I love. It took my Z7 for me to move into the world of flac's and I'm glad I did, but my SD card isn't which I have to get in 128g now.

Oct 17, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #6,095 of 9,173
  I didn't take a 320mp3 and try and make it a flac file, I know how it works. I found them in flac and downloaded them and I have some CD's I ripped into flac.

That is good, but if you read carefully how you worded your post, it is easy to see how people mistook what you meant.

Oct 17, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #6,096 of 9,173
Yeah I see what your saying, I'd go change it but I'm lazy.
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #6,097 of 9,173
Oct 17, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #6,099 of 9,173
I just had a little brain fart, I totally see why it sounds like I converted 320 mp3 to flac. I was watching my OU Sooners kicking the crap out of K State and just flat out made I stupid mistake.

Anyways, I have to say I'm loving the quality of the flac files as I listen to them through my Z7. The only thing I hate is how much room they take up. I only have a 32g micro SD card so I ordered a 128g that I should have next week.

Oct 17, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #6,100 of 9,173
I just had a little brain fart, I totally see why it sounds like I converted 320 mp3 to flac. I was watching my OU Sooners kicking the crap out of K State and just flat out made I stupid mistake.

Anyways, I have to say I'm loving the quality of the flac files as I listen to them through my Z7. The only thing I hate is how much room they take up. I only have a 32g micro SD card so I ordered a 128g that I should have next week.

LOL

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #6,101 of 9,173
Guys can i just check with those of you with a pair of Z7 in hand, is the connection to both cups the standard 3.5mm stereo plug type? i've got a pair of Z7 as well as some silver TRRS terminated cables coming but just wanna make sure that these will indeed plug into the Z7.....

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #6,102 of 9,173
Guys can i just check with those of you with a pair of Z7 in hand, is the connection to both cups the standard 3.5mm stereo plug type? i've got a pair of Z7 as well as some silver TRRS terminated cables coming but just wanna make sure that these will indeed plug into the Z7.....

3.5 TRS on the cup is terminated as (tip = +, ring = ground, sleeve = non connected). It should be common to any other mono 3.5 TRS females.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #6,103 of 9,173
Okay so in the interest of curbing my spending for the year, I've decided to just go with the 1.2m Sony Kimber Kable and have the ZX2 drive the Z7 directly (I'm going all OEM). Hopefully the Kimber Kable will open up the transparency a little more, I'm already happy with the soundstage and overall sound (not upto the level of depth like my previously amped W1000X obviously), I find that the mastering of the music source is very important as I've heard anywhere from crazy marvelous to really mediocre recordings thus far. The level of resolving detail is already beyond E484 and CD900ST. I just don't find 7506 or 7520 any good for normal music listening as these feel too congested in the low end.

In the end I still can't hear much diff between CD-DA and Hi-Res. But MP3 even at 320 sounds thin to me (I don't listen to any MP3s). DSD sounds really analog but these SACD rips are never perfect, seems to be some sort of jitter issue during the ripping process.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #6,104 of 9,173
Okay so in the interest of curbing my spending for the year, I've decided to just go with the 1.2m Sony Kimber Kable and have the ZX2 drive the Z7 directly (I'm going all OEM). Hopefully the Kimber Kable will open up the transparency a little more, I'm already happy with the soundstage and overall sound (not upto the level of depth like my previously amped W1000X obviously), I find that the mastering of the music source is very important as I've heard anywhere from crazy marvelous to really mediocre recordings thus far. The level of resolving detail is already beyond E484 and CD900ST. I just don't find 7506 or 7520 any good for normal music listening as these feel too congested in the low end.

In the end I still can't hear much diff between CD-DA and Hi-Res. But MP3 even at 320 sounds thin to me (I don't listen to any MP3s). DSD sounds really analog but these SACD rips are never perfect, seems to be some sort of jitter issue during the ripping process.

You want more depth and transparency ? Don't buy those Kimber, unless you can make it into TRRS. Buy 3rd party cables that can customize your TRRS cables. True ZX2 potential, and disable the "Sound adjustment/enhencement" app

Follow this link as detailed in sound changes. Why and why not should the app be disabled

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/8295#post_12001421

Follow this link for the confirmation of the max volume output capacity confirmation, which varies depend on the gears. Particularly Z7

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/8325#post_12001929

I also was the first one to confirm what Sony stated, using TRRS with that additional ground from ZX2 increase stereos seperation. I confirm that it does increase, soundstage, depth of field, tightening the bass, and also have more impact and accuracy....especially the soundstage and pinpoint accuracy of instruments placement.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #6,105 of 9,173
You want more depth and transparency ? Don't buy those Kimber, unless you can make it into TRRS. Buy 3rd party cables that can customize your TRRS cables. True ZX2 potential, and disable the "Sound adjustment/enhencement" app

Follow this link as detailed in sound changes. Why and why not should the app be disabled

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/8295#post_12001421

Follow this link for the confirmation of the max volume output capacity confirmation, which varies depend on the gears. Particularly Z7

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/8325#post_12001929

I also was the first one to confirm what Sony stated, using TRRS with that additional ground from ZX2 increase stereos seperation. I confirm that it does increase, soundstage, depth of field, tightening the bass, and also have more impact and accuracy....especially the soundstage and pinpoint accuracy of instruments placement.

Actually I did more A/B on enable / disable of the Sound Enhancement App and again it really depends on the song. Some I can't tell the difference while others I can but very slight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back