Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 7, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #5,866 of 9,173
The Z7 is better in all regards.

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #5,867 of 9,173
Hi guys..! Im upgrading from A900X... Currently looking at Z7(390USD), W1000Z(415USD) and HE-400i (280USD).. at this given prive which one would you guys choose..? Im mainly looking for a headphone mainly for entertainment.. just kick back and enjoy some music (MBA->PHA-1A) and perhaps for gaming (PS4->Fiio e17k) and netflix as well!

I'm just going to give a quick impression of what i like and don't like about each headphone..

HE400i:
1. The price I'm seeing is crazy cheap!
2. Planar magnetic driver seems to be a more advanced tech..? Super curious.. lol! According to a random guy in Amazon.. this HP also have a 70mm driver..? correct me if im wrong..

concern:
1. Soundstage. Is the soundstage on this can larger or smaller than A900X? Personally I find
2. comfort: especially sound wise.. am i able to put it on for ours without experiencing severe fatigue..?

W1000Z
1. Wooooodies!! <3
2. AT!!! <3
3. Comfort. Really liked AT wing system.. I actually tried this can in Japan.. super comfy.. the earpad on A900X isnt that good and it hurt my ear sometimes (even though i still wear it 6+ hours in weekend).. didn't really have time to listen to the sound though.. was actually looking for an AD900X at the time.. then start looking at higher tier cans lol :p

Concern:
1. build quality. This is only strictly comparing to Z7.. Still feel loke W1000Z is a sturdy HP.. but the visible plastic components is kinda annoying.. lol.. perhaps Z7 is just too well built :p.. But those wood cups though <3
2. Hardwired cable. 3M cable is a pain in ass for me as I do carry my A900X on the street or oversea.. probably not going to carry WKZ on the street if i decided to get this. Another issue is that.. it make it harder for maintenance..?

MDR-Z7
1. Excellent construction.
2. Sony <3
3. Removable cable... basically means it last longer..? really like the screw-on design as well.
4. Comfort. Everyone in this thread is saying that Z7 is the or at least one of the most comfortable headphone. Also... it's a lore laid-back HP that arent going to cause sound fatigue..?
5. Feel the air. I have read some Chinese review describing a "wave of air" that u can feel with your ear... and i feel like the 70mm driver have so many potential.. this is probably the 3rd time Sony's using a 70mm driver in HP..? they're probably quite confident with it to put it in their flagship. I'm also aware the fact that 70mm isn't necessary the best size for driver..? anyway.. i still feel like it's a plus.

Concern:
1. Sound quality and sound signature. I know this is super controversial. I read almost every post. It's just that people don't seems to be quite happy about the sound sig of this can. The impression is just so mixed and it confuse me.

Personally sounding neutral isn't necessary something I'm lookong for.. as i feel like i would have better luck in a higher tier that I can't afford but may be able to in the future. That being said... it's still a good quality that i would want... yea.. i have no idea what im trying to say as well..

So anyway.. at the given price.. considering the best dac/amp i have now is PHA-1A... which one would you guys recommend?

Oh.. btw.. I listen to a variety of music.. but mostly rock, post rock, indiepop, acoustic, electronic and jazz.. basically anything... rarely classical, never country music.

Currently I'm mostly leaning toward Z7.. runner-up is HE400i..

I know it's going to be painful to read what I wrote... really sorry about tht.. but i need to make my decision in the next few days..! Help..! >_<

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #5,868 of 9,173
I have the A900X myself and I think the Z7 compliments it really well. It is a much better headphone .. a more fuller solid sound, slightly more biased towards the bass but it's extremely musical.
I tried the W1000Z also in japan I thought it just sounded too similar to the A900X .. it's got very similar tone .. just more refined and smoother everywhere. Already having the A900X, even though I liked the sound of the W1000Z, I didn't think it was worth 2-4 times as much. 
The Z7 is just built so well, I think it's a masterpiece .. it just feels of quality .. it's light and it's really comfortable. 
I haven't tried the 400i but have tried the 500 but it's just not a comfortable headphone for me.

funny thing ... out of all the devices/amp/dac I have, the ipad2 seems to give the most lively musicality. Has anyone else found this to be true?

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #5,869 of 9,173
Z7 is very easily driven, regardless of whoever saying that it needs an amp. In my experiences, amping it will alter the sound it produces, but IPad Air 2 and ZX2 drive it without problems.

"Feels the air" they talk about the "pressure" that I can feel during deep and low bass notes especially from 12-20hz. Especially if listen to hip-hop, or watching movies...

I agreed about the build quality of Z7. Large, yet the most comfortable HP. Not too heavy, nor light. It is enough to give that clamping forces and stay still. The pads are so comfortable. The sounds being produced by Z7 is good, and yet the design makes it feel top quality and top comfortability

Removable cables, some people love it, some don't. I love it, as I can use long stock cables for movie during the night from my large home stereo. Then moving around with shorter upgraded cables during the day.

Planar Magnetic is using film like diaphragm , and of course they are huge, so I believe 70mm is not out if the question for those PM. Z7 is a dynamic Hp, and 70mm driver diaphragm is the largest u have come to own. It down side is that it is so large, that you "Do Not" want to have your fingers inside the pad at any given time.....you may dent and ruin the drivers. Despite being plastic with aluminum coating, you need a carry bag, case for Z7......again, those large diaphragm are just too exposed.

Price to performance to design, Z7 is a master piece. The best part given = semi open HP that I can blast away while sound leakage is minimal. I will trade anything to keep sound leakage minimalized, and Z7 is one of that excel in it.

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #5,870 of 9,173
I have the A900X myself and I think the Z7 compliments it really well. It is a much better headphone .. a more fuller solid sound, slightly more biased towards the bass but it's extremely musical.
I tried the W1000Z also in japan I thought it just sounded too similar to the A900X .. it's got very similar tone .. just more refined and smoother everywhere. Already having the A900X, even though I liked the sound of the W1000Z, I didn't think it was worth 2-4 times as much. 
The Z7 is just built so well, I think it's a masterpiece .. it just feels of quality .. it's light and it's really comfortable. 
I haven't tried the 400i but have tried the 500 but it's just not a comfortable headphone for me.

funny thing ... out of all the devices/amp/dac I have, the ipad2 seems to give the most lively musicality. Has anyone else found this to be true?

thanks a whole lot for you reply..! i have the same impression with w1000z when i was trying it in bic camera. It's definitely gorgeous... but listening to wkz makes me appreciate my A900X more..! The one can I really enjoyed was A1000X and A2000X.. especially the AKX..the treble was so bright and crisp!

Ive seen many people comparing 400i with 500.. what would you say about the soundstage?

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #5,871 of 9,173
Z7 is very easily driven, regardless of whoever saying that it needs an amp. In my experiences, amping it will alter the sound it produces, but IPad Air 2 and ZX2 drive it without problems.

"Feels the air" they talk about the "pressure" that I can feel during deep and low bass notes especially from 12-20hz. Especially if listen to hip-hop, or watching movies...

I agreed about the build quality of Z7. Large, yet the most comfortable HP. Not too heavy, nor light. It is enough to give that clamping forces and stay still. The pads are so comfortable. The sounds being produced by Z7 is good, and yet the design makes it feel top quality and top comfortability

Removable cables, some people love it, some don't. I love it, as I can use long stock cables for movie during the night from my large home stereo. Then moving around with shorter upgraded cables during the day.

Planar Magnetic is using film like diaphragm , and of course they are huge, so I believe 70mm is not out if the question for those PM. Z7 is a dynamic Hp, and 70mm driver diaphragm is the largest u have come to own. It down side is that it is so large, that you "Do Not" want to have your fingers inside the pad at any given time.....you may dent and ruin the drivers. Despite being plastic with aluminum coating, you need a carry bag, case for Z7......again, those large diaphragm are just too exposed.

Price to performance to design, Z7 is a master piece. The best part given = semi open HP that I can blast away while sound leakage is minimal. I will trade anything to keep sound leakage minimalized, and Z7 is one of that excel in it.

I got the PHA-1A mostly because it's good looking and my xperia Z2 can't really drive my A900X to my desire volume.. (Now i feel like I'm obliged to get xperia Z7 as my next smart phone.. "What's your portable set up?" "Z7->Z7" lol )

Pressure is probably a more precise word of what im describing lol..! I owned the XB500.. it's also a super comfortable headphone.. can also feel the air... but it's too emphasized on bass and not detailed enough..

I will probably get a hard case for any of this cans... too precious for me to damage them... lol!

Thanks a lot for your reply!! now I'm leaning more toward Sony.. lol

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #5,872 of 9,173
I don't know if Z7 Xperia will be out by the time Sony can still survive in mobile division lol....my portable rig now is Nw-ZX2 for DAP needs in High-resolution music, MdR-Z7 (solid silver cables upgraded) for full sized headphones or ATH-IM04 for portable while getting around.

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #5,873 of 9,173
Is there a decent source for getting replacement Z7 earpads now? Does anyone have an accurate measurement of the pad's outer diameter?

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #5,878 of 9,173
  Yeah, go to this site, http://www.surfcables.com/products/sony-mdr-z7

I have seen Surf Cables mentioned in this thread quite a bit so I decided to finally check them out.

Do they not have silver cables? I thought they did. All I saw was silver-plated copper for the Z7.

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #5,879 of 9,173
Is there a decent source for getting replacement Z7 earpads now? Does anyone have an accurate measurement of the pad's outer diameter?
Do you want second source ads or the original from Sony?

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #5,880 of 9,173
either or is fine, thanks for any info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back