Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jun 15, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #5,162 of 9,173
Jun 15, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #5,163 of 9,173
Do you have any other comments on a compare between the two? I'm torn between them and the more I read about the th600 the more I lean towards it.

Like Jeff mentioned, the sound signature of the TH600 is very V shaped. If you listen to lots of vocals, especially female vocals, the voices seem to sound very distant. Not my cup of tea.
Other than the sub-bass, the TH600 has strong and piercing high, so if you are a treble head, you might like it.
But the treble is a bit metallic, rough and edgy, not as smooth and extended like it's big brother, the TH900.
For soundstaging, the TH600 sounds more open compared to Z7.
In fact, of all the full size closed cans that I've tried, i.e. TH600/900, Z7, LCD-XC, Alpha Prime/Dog, D5000/7000, etc, the Fostex is the best that I've heard, although it can't beat the open HD800.

Both the Z7 and TH600 are very easy to drive, but the Z7 sounds improved with better amplification. I'm using it balanced over HA-1, and I prefer the sound quality over the combo with Sony's own PHA3.
Th TH600 cable is fixed, long and dangly, albeit better constructed over Z7 stock cables. So if you want to run in balanced, you have to reterminate the 1/4" jack to balance.
Isolation wise, the Z7 isolates better. My wife used to complaint if I was listening to my TH600 while she was sleeping, but not with Z7.

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #5,164 of 9,173
Jun 17, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #5,166 of 9,173
I should have my Z7 by Friday or Saturday hopefully and I'm really looking forward hearing them.

I have to say that dweaver's review was one of the reviews that swayed me into getting a pair. Of the many, many I read his seemed like a very good and honest review that made the Z7 seem like a stunner headphone.

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #5,167 of 9,173
I should have my Z7 by Friday or Saturday hopefully and I'm really looking forward hearing them.

I have to say that dweaver's review was one of the reviews that swayed me into getting a pair. Of the many, many I read his seemed like a very good and honest review that made the Z7 seem like a stunner headphone.

I hope my review lives up to that expectation :). I have to say I still love the heck out of my Z7 and they are my primary full size headphone still. If anything they just seem to improve with time. They also have ruined my love for a lot of other headphone I have owned. The same is true for the Z5. I have not done a review of the Z5 but I would say they are every bit as good or better than the Z7. So if you do end up liking the Z7 and also use IEM's you might want to consider the Z5 as well. I am going to have to rectify not having a review of the Z5 pretty soon I think...

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #5,168 of 9,173
Now it wasn't just you review that got me to buy them but it was one of the reviews that helped me make up my mind. I've read some other reviews and impressions of yours for headphones or iem's that I've heard or have/had and they were about how I heard them so I figured the Z7 would be about the same.

One thing about the reviews for these hp's is just how different people thought they sound. Some say the mids are thin while others say thick and warm. Some say the bass is loose and others hear them as tight with good a tone. I've never seen a hp with so many different opinions on the sound signature and sound quality.

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #5,170 of 9,173
Now it wasn't just you review that got me to buy them but it was one of the reviews that helped me make up my mind. I've read some other reviews and impressions of yours for headphones or iem's that I've heard or have/had and they were about how I heard them so I figured the Z7 would be about the same.

One thing about the reviews for these hp's is just how different people thought they sound. Some say the mids are thin while others say thick and warm. Some say the bass is loose and others hear them as tight with good a tone. I've never seen a hp with so many different opinions on the sound signature and sound quality.
amp and source definitely change the sound of the Z7 which may explain why so many varying reports. I recently got a Pono and am now listening to the Z7 in balanced mode and they sound leaner and more articulate than out of my other sources and amps.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #5,171 of 9,173
Jason sent me one of his 3D printed stands, not the best picture, but I like the stand matches my other black stuffs.

The speaker is one of SONY's APM square driver ones.

The photo does not do Jason's stand any justice. It is totally invisible. :eyes:

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #5,172 of 9,173
amp and source definitely change the sound of the Z7 which may explain why so many varying reports. I recently got a Pono and am now listening to the Z7 in balanced mode and they sound leaner and more articulate than out of my other sources and amps.

Sitting in my office listening to the Yello Stella album as Flac using the Sony A15EU version driving the Z7. All sound enhancements off. Volume level 18. There is nothing missing compared to my big desktop amp. The Sonys work perfectly together.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #5,173 of 9,173

+1

I thought I might have been the only one noticing that... :p

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #5,174 of 9,173
+2

Sometimes I think we should just develop the ability to trade ears rather than bothering with all this silly headphone faff
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #5,175 of 9,173
  +2

Sometimes I think we should just develop the ability to trade ears rather than bothering with all this silly headphone faff
biggrin.gif

You go first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back