Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Feb 20, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #4,427 of 9,173
Thank you for the recommendation on the surf cables. I have a 4 foot, soft sleeving option on the way.

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #4,430 of 9,173
  Can't decide if its the sound quality or the sound stage that is giving me the most pleasure with these headphones.

How about both :) ?

I read quite a few post about congested sound, muddy basses, weak trebles... perception is subjective but I'll say this : check your source (those cans need to be driven properly, I am not talking about how loud you can get them, deceptively enough they appear to be drive-able with a smartphone) and/or give them time to burn-in (or your brain to burn in, whichever you think is "real").

There is no comparison between my first impressions straight from Sony ZX1 in the store, then from FiiO E18 and finally PHA-3 balanced. There is also no comparison between out of the box and after 100+ hours burn-in, again wether physical or brain burn-in I definitely went from lack of transparency (I wouldn't say congested as the soundstage is wide and deep) to good transparency and (yes, call it placebo if you will) even great one with the Kimbers. Also, bass got tighter, and trebles more detailed, mids more lush...

My two cents, granted, with a modest track record with full size headphones compared to many here...

(BTW The MDR-Z7 were good enough to have me try out the XBA-Z5 and I am glad I did! I have a bit more experience with IEMs and the Z5 - for me - best both SE846 and IE800)

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #4,432 of 9,173

The most expensive one is fulfilled and sold by Amazon. The cheaper option is sold by someone else, but fulfilled by Amazon. 

I would go for the cheaper option.

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #4,435 of 9,173

I have purchased a cheaper version which sells with the warranty that can be used only in Japan.  Sony USA won't honor it.  If you have any issues, you will have to contact Sony Japan.  I think that this policy is stupid.

Otherwise, I don't see any differences.  Mine is great!

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #4,437 of 9,173
You're welcome.  As for your DAC and AMP, I have no experience with them.  I guess they would power up your MDR-Z7 enough (70 ohm).

I am searching for a headphone amp that supports 24bit/192khz or higher resolutions.  I think Sony MDR-Z7 has the capacity to utilize them in full.

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #4,438 of 9,173

The most expensive one is fulfilled and sold by Amazon. The cheaper option is sold by someone else, but fulfilled by Amazon. 

I would go for the cheaper option.

The more-expensive one is the official, Sony-USA version, the less-expensive one isn't.other isn't. I have the cheaper version and I'm completely happy with it. In my case, the inner container proper was not sealed, but it was clean. That is, it hadn't been unsealed, because it had never been sealed in the first place. However, everything in the container - phones and two cables - was properly wrapped and sealed and there were no stray fingerprints, scratches, blemishes, etc. visible anywhere, after a close, obsessive-compulsive examination.

So, I say go with the cheaper one, too. Since it's fulfilled by Amazon, if you don't like what you get, you can just return it, no questions asked, for exchange or a full refund.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #4,440 of 9,173
  Has anyone purchased the more expensive one?  If you have, could you provide us with more information such as conditions with photos?

I was one of the first to receive my headphones from Amazon.  Shipped Prime, and at the time there wasn't any third party options.  Box was perfect, package was perfect, and if I remember correctly the package was wrapped in a bag only.  No stickers for seals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back