Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Feb 9, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #4,246 of 9,173
There are indeed electrical property differences between cables which would affect audio properties. Cables do make difference. If you understand how different electrical properties affect audio, you can make your own inexpensive cables to rival "exotic" cables.

Cable electrical properties which affect audio (1 to 4 in descending order):

1. How the ground signal are carried: Every audio circuit board designers knows how different grounding topologies would affect audio frequency and noise. Audio cables are actually extensions of audio circuits.
2. Shielding: In certain way related to (1) above. Good cable shielding will give better channel separation and have effect on sound stage. Of course it also helps to blocking out noise.
3. Impedance: Audio signal are AC. Impedance has higher effect to high frequency. That's the reason why you always hear silver cables will improve high treble.
4. Capacitance & Inductance: Example: crossover circuit of multi-drivers speakers. Cable capacitance and inductance has relatively small effect on audio if the cable is short (say, just a few meters)
5. Connectors: Different cables use different connectors and would have different effects to (1) to (4) above. Sometimes you hear people claim they need to "burn in" cables, the truth is it takes times and plugging/unplugging for new cables connectors to "mate" well with cable sockets to give the best contact patch.

I always choose silver cables when I need "after market" cables for my headphones. This way I can get away with the thinnest gauge wires, to have the lightest cables being hung from the headphones when wearing. Lighter wires would put less stress both on my neck and connectors. If I need to "tune" the frequency to have less treble, I connect the silver cables with a 1M OFC extension cord. This work well and inexpensively for me.

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #4,247 of 9,173

That 1khz peak actually was an issue for me a couple of weeks ago and if the Kimbers really tone this freq down a bit it could be a worthwhile upgrade...no need for that any longer though.
I don't have a need for more loudnsess/sensitivty either, I already have to lower the volume at a very low point because they are so sensitive, much more than my Denons and Audio Technica's.

I debated with -1 and -2 at 1kHz using the stock cables.  I settled on -2.  Since the Kimbers, I am currently debating between -1 and 0.  If that helps quantify it at all.  

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #4,248 of 9,173
  I debated with -1 and -2 at 1kHz using the stock cables.  I settled on -2.  Since the Kimbers, I am currently debating between -1 and 0.  If that helps quantify it at all.  

Funny, I lowered it -2 as well, but now I exclusively listen to them without EQ.
With every headphones I have owned and own I had the same EQ ritual the first week of owning them. I have kept all the settings in which (to my ears) they are the most balanced, but I never use those settings, I just take the headphones sound and shortcomings as it is. And while enjoying music I don't care much for technicalities and quests for neutrality. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #4,249 of 9,173

Knowing and showing are two different things.

Also, didn't you mention that you are an audio component dealer (in this very thread)?

I just can't understand why people who can't hear it don't just keep their opinions to themselves! What is it? The need to save your fellow man from what so many others KNOW is true? Why can't you just keep it to yourself and move along? So many people think they just know it all and don't even give their ears a chance, it must be tough living life so arrogantly...

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #4,250 of 9,173

Knowing and showing are two different things.

Also, didn't you mention that you are an audio component dealer (in this very thread)?

Yes, I have a small audio/video company and do mostly Control 4 automation and home sound systems and flat panels.  So?  I've been in audio my whole life and I can't believe the amount of "I know better" types out there who can't use their own ears to make up their mind, they use their "superior intellect" to determine what is and isn't "real".... It's amazing to think company's with LONG histories and great reputations like AudioQuest and Kimber Kable made it this far selling "snake oil" and non-science

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #4,251 of 9,173
I listened to my stock cables for a while before trying the Kimber's for the first time. My Z7s are running off of my ZX1. Not a huge difference in sound. Biggest change was the volume level. I had to turn it down 5 notches to get back to the level it was with the stock cables. There was about 90 sec of downtime between swaps.

I also find the Kimber's tone down the 1kHz band nicely. I've readjusted my eq as a result. I'm also much happier with the Kimber's length.

I believe you will hear a more pronounce difference with a more resolving amp & source.  I've re-terminated several stocks cables in the past and Sony usually have a very thin gauge wire compared to other mfgs.     

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #4,252 of 9,173
So all this talk of cables, I'm still curious if anyone has tried any of the other after market cables.  I wouldn't mind the Kimber Kables, but the shipping times are just crazy to the US right now - some sites say 30 to 60 days!  Still considering the Surf Cable option, given the price.  Only difference I can tell between them and Double Helix is the AWG and I'm not sure it makes a huge difference.  Surf cables say they use 20 AWG and DHC says they use 23.5 AWG - is one better than the other?

Sorry, new to some of this...

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #4,253 of 9,173
  So all this talk of cables, I'm still curious if anyone has tried any of the other after market cables.  I wouldn't mind the Kimber Kables, but the shipping times are just crazy to the US right now - some sites say 30 to 60 days!  Still considering the Surf Cable option, given the price.  Only difference I can tell between them and Double Helix is the AWG and I'm not sure it makes a huge difference.  Surf cables say they use 20 AWG and DHC says they use 23.5 AWG - is one better than the other?

Sorry, new to some of this...

Yeah I'm really interested to hear a comparison of the Silver Dragon and the Kimber Cables as well as others.

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #4,255 of 9,173
  Yes, I have a small audio/video company and do mostly Control 4 automation and home sound systems and flat panels.  So?  I've been in audio my whole life and I can't believe the amount of "I know better" types out there who can't use their own ears to make up their mind, they use their "superior intellect" to determine what is and isn't "real".... It's amazing to think company's with LONG histories and great reputations like AudioQuest and Kimber Kable made it this far selling "snake oil" and non-science

Hey, I just spent $500 on a silver litz cable myself, but I haven't tested it blind so I can't tell. While I agree with the spirit of what you are saying I am equally shocked that these companies and the thousands oh cable enthusiast out there never set up well designed blind listening tests, which really wouldn't be hard to do. Why not actually put these assumptions to a test? I have been in audio for many years as well, but I also know full well that sighted listening is far from unbiased and you can't form any conclusion that way. I am on the fence, I want cables to make a difference believe me I do, but I am equally shocked to see zero effort to test them either.

I can't test my cable as it is a speaker tap cable and I can't compare the stock cable as it can't connect to me amp so regardless I can't test, but I would love to hear others who can.

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #4,256 of 9,173
Who says "blind testing" is the way to go. It's easy, hook it up and listen for a while, go back to the original cable and listen for a while. You people talk like there is no such thing as a return period.  Why would ANYBODY keep a $500 cable they can't hear as making a difference? If you can't hear an improvement on what you bought I hope you are going to return it! Sometimes there is no "better" there is just "different", what presentation do you like better? What is easier or more enjoyable to listen to?

I've gone out on a limb many times and held to my opinions on what I can and Can't hear, sometimes it was against the majority, but I am mature enough not to be impressed and persuaded by shiny cool cables!

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #4,257 of 9,173
  Who says "blind testing" is the way to go. It's easy, hook it up and listen for a while, go back to the original cable and listen for a while. You people talk like there is no such thing as a return period.  Why would ANYBODY keep a $500 cable they can't hear as making a difference? If you can't hear an improvement on what you bought I hope you are going to return it! Sometimes there is no "better" there is just "different", what presentation do you like better? What is easier or more enjoyable to listen to?

I've gone out on a limb many times and held to my opinions on what I can and Can't hear, sometimes it was against the majority, but I am mature enough not to be impressed and persuaded by shiny cool cables!

Because I didn't buy the cable for any possible sound quality improvement (although I do hope there is one, and perhaps I will be able to test this someday). I needed a custom cable made as a speaker tap, and for me that was well worth the investment so I have no intention of returning it thank you very much. As for who says blind testing is the way to go, well science for one. Anyway, you seem defensive and perhaps even a tad angry from what I felt was a reasonable, and valid post on my part. You are most certainly entitled to your views as I am to mine. I will not back down simple because I have irked somebody. I have never been disrespectful to those who elect to go after market cables, however, all claims are fair game, and it is absolutely reasonable to suggest blind testing. If cables do what they are reported to do (again, I really hope so) then the difference should be reliably detected unsighted. All of that said, if this type of evidence isn't important to you or anybody that is great, this is a highly subjective hobby and a great deal of the joy is the hunt and the thrill of finding that special something. I hope you continue to enjoy the hunt my friend, I really do.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #4,258 of 9,173

Because I didn't buy the cable for any possible sound quality improvement (although I do hope there is one, and perhaps I will be able to test this someday). I needed a custom cable made as a speaker tap, and for me that was well worth the investment so I have no intention of returning it thank you very much. As for who says blind testing is the way to go, well science for one. Anyway, you seem defensive and perhaps even a tad angry from what I felt was a reasonable, and valid post on my part. You are most certainly entitled to your views as I am to mine. I will not back down simple because I have irked somebody. I have never been disrespectful to those who elect to go after market cables, however, all claims are fair game, and it is absolutely reasonable to suggest blind testing. If cables do what they are reported to do (again, I really hope so) then the difference should be reliably detected unsighted. All of that said, if this type of evidence isn't important to you or anybody that is great, this is a highly subjective hobby and a great deal of the joy is the hunt and the thrill of finding that special something. I hope you continue to enjoy the hunt my friend, I really do.

No man, I'm not angry or anything.  I just find it amusing that something I've never given a second thought to and experienced over and over again for 30 years is considered by some to be "snake oil".  It boggles my mind.  You could have got those speaker wires made of ANY material and you chose $500 silver wire.  I hope you enjoy them! The NAD house sound is a bit dark, so the Silver wire should be a good match for the HE560, hope it's not too bright though...

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #4,259 of 9,173
Oh my, while there are some very valuable opinion both for and against, this thread is turning into a flame war about cables, not sure it'll help those interested in the MDR-Z7 :p

Why not accept that people have different perception and opinions and simply have the right to enjoy the Z7 whichever cable they choose to use?
Psychoacoustics has interesting insights... apparently we can hear vibrations of the eardrum of less than a tenth the width of a hydrogen atom and anyway the brain, and especially perception, is still a very complex thing...

Personally I don't know if I am "right", but in the end I don't care, I do notice a significantly more transparent sound with the Kimber plugged to the PHA-3. 

Isn't this all about enjoying music ?
I certainly do with the Z7 :)

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #4,260 of 9,173
  Oh my, while there are some very valuable opinion both for and against, this thread is turning into a flame war about cables, not sure it'll help those interested in the MDR-Z7 :p

Why not accept that people have different perception and opinions and simply have the right to enjoy the Z7 whichever cable they choose to use?
Psychoacoustics has interesting insights... apparently we can hear vibrations of the eardrum of less than a tenth the width of a hydrogen atom and anyway the brain, and especially perception, is still a very complex thing...

Personally I don't know if I am "right", but in the end I don't care, I do notice a significantly more transparent sound with the Kimber plugged to the PHA-3. 

Isn't this all about enjoying music ?
I certainly do with the Z7 :)

Flame war? Okay....being a bit dramatic there
Good to hear about the Kimber, I am very curious to hear it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back