Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Feb 8, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #4,232 of 9,173
Z7 vs 7520

I've compaired them to each other so far using a Sony a10 walkman (a15 UK ver, which maybe vol limited) playing 24/16bit FLACs.

Wow, the 7520 is much louder (like 10db) than then the z7 and has more bass and treble.

I'm quite surprised as how efficent/loud they are as I remember reading that they can take high output fine (4000mW)

I think my walkman maybe holding back the z7 a lot so, will have to compare them both on a couple amps with headphone jack an a CD player an a dac with headphone jacks

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #4,234 of 9,173
  Mine is s/n 1815

Have you tried your Z7s on the WA8 prototype?  I was wondering about the synergy.  I totally forgot to try the combo at the NYC head-fi meet....... stupid stupid stupid....

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #4,235 of 9,173

Have you tried your Z7s on the WA8 prototype?  I was wondering about the synergy.  I totally forgot to try the combo at the NYC head-fi meet....... stupid stupid stupid....

not yet.  Will have the next prototype with improved sound and look in March/April audio show.  Will let everyone know in the WA8 thread.  :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/736200/woo-audio-wa-8

Feb 8, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #4,236 of 9,173
I can't imagine it sounding better.  I was amazed what it did with the T1, back in November.  I'll subscribe to that thread.  Thanks...

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #4,238 of 9,173
LOL .. I did the exact same last night after using the Kimber Kable for a while .. put back the stock cable and had a listen and put it straight back into the box. I always thought the Kimber Kable made the vocals a bit less forward but it's not. It's just better overall to my ears.

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #4,239 of 9,173
I'm sorry but I'm having hard time believing that the cable makes any difference, AFAIK cables are the biggest scam/placebo in the audiophool business.

It's simple science of "bottleneck". Even if you make a cable out of silver/gold/platinum/diamond or whatever magical material you wish to call it, what difference is it going to make if the wires and the circuit board in the amp/DAC/headphone are made of simple copper? Same goes for those audiophile power cables, what difference do they make when the copper wires behind the wall socket is 30+ years old and is probably corroded too?

Please people, stop fooling yourselves, you think you "hear" the difference with the kimber cable because you're looking for a reason to justify your purchase.

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #4,240 of 9,173
The are several factors that make cables differ in sound. Silver has lower impedance than copper. Larger gauge wires have lower impedance than thinner gauge wires. These impedance differences are indeed audible. There are also other more complicated aspects to why different cables sound different, such as skin effect, proximity effect, power losses etc.

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #4,241 of 9,173
Quote:
  I'm sorry but I'm having hard time believing that the cable makes any difference, AFAIK cables are the biggest scam/placebo in the audiophool business.

It's simple science of "bottleneck". Even if you make a cable out of silver/gold/platinum/diamond or whatever magical material you wish to call it, what difference is it going to make if the wires and the circuit board in the amp/DAC/headphone are made of simple copper? Same goes for those audiophile power cables, what difference do they make when the copper wires behind the wall socket is 30+ years old and is probably corroded too?

Please people, stop fooling yourselves, you think you "hear" the difference with the kimber cable because you're looking for a reason to justify your purchase.

I tend to agree...but I simply can only speak for myself. I never heard differences between cables, but it would go too far to tell people who do hear differences to 'stop fooling themselves'

Having said that, to claim that the stock cables are 'garbage' and  the Kimber cables make a 'huge' difference I find pretty ridiculous.
If there are any differences they cannot be huge, I don't buy that 
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #4,242 of 9,173
I listened to my stock cables for a while before trying the Kimber's for the first time. My Z7s are running off of my ZX1. Not a huge difference in sound. Biggest change was the volume level. I had to turn it down 5 notches to get back to the level it was with the stock cables. There was about 90 sec of downtime between swaps.

I also find the Kimber's tone down the 1kHz band nicely. I've readjusted my eq as a result. I'm also much happier with the Kimber's length.

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #4,243 of 9,173
I listened to my stock cables for a while before trying the Kimber's for the first time. My Z7s are running off of my ZX1. Not a huge difference in sound. Biggest change was the volume level. I had to turn it down 5 notches to get back to the level it was with the stock cables. There was about 90 sec of downtime between swaps.

I also find the Kimber's tone down the 1kHz band nicely. I've readjusted my eq as a result. I'm also much happier with the Kimber's length.

That 1khz peak actually was an issue for me a couple of weeks ago and if the Kimbers really tone this freq down a bit it could be a worthwhile upgrade...no need for that any longer though.
I don't have a need for more loudnsess/sensitivty either, I already have to lower the volume at a very low point because they are so sensitive, much more than my Denons and Audio Technica's.

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #4,244 of 9,173

Please people, stop fooling yourselves, you think you "hear" the difference with the kimber cable because you're looking for a reason to justify your purchase.

I'm curious, for someone with such an opinion on the subject have you actually tested these claims yourself by trying several different audio cables with various headphones or are you just going off of what you've read or believe because of science? Regardless, why does it matter if someone replaces a cable and enjoys there headphones that much more because of it? Even if you tell them they are foolish to do so they are not going to stop liking the better or different sound the new cable either appears to or truly does give. 

I'm not trying to be hostile, but rather curious why you would post such a thing which looks to be attacking people for their choice to customize their headphones.

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #4,245 of 9,173

I just can't understand why people who can't hear it don't just keep their opinions to themselves! What is it? The need to save your fellow man from what so many others KNOW is true? Why can't you just keep it to yourself and move along? So many people think they just know it all and don't even give their ears a chance, it must be tough living life so arrogantly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back