Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Feb 7, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #4,219 of 9,173
I hope Bill won't mind.  SN = 1519.  Mine is 3573.

I don't mind at all. Actually, thanks for looking it up for me.

I hope you are still enjoying the modded pair. Looking forward to more of your impressions. :)

I'm almost inclined to ask you to send them back to me whenever you're done so that I can retune them one last time before sending them off to Tyll, but let's work that out later.

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #4,220 of 9,173

Sorry, just wanted to ask one other question of this group - has anyone tried to checked out Surf Cables option for a balanced after market cable?  They're only $80 for a balanced set to run on either the pono or the PHA-3.  Really cheap considering everything else I see, just wondering how these may measure up???

The page is at 

http://www.surfcables.com/collections/surfcables-silver-teflon-headphone-cables/products/sony

for anyone else curious.

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #4,221 of 9,173
which amp / tube amp would you guys suggest pairing the MDR-z7 with? 

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #4,222 of 9,173

I'm using a Sound Quest SQ84-V2 with mine.   15wpc, two inputs, 6v6 tubes.   Love those 6v6's, they're used in a lot of guitar amps for their wonderful midrange.    It's enough power to run speakers, I've used mine to run Quad 57's and that was a great combo.  

Doesn't hurt that Stephen Monte is tops in customer service.   

http://www.questforsound.com/amps/amps_sq84-V2.htm

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #4,223 of 9,173

I'm not going to build any credibility in this thread I'm afraid, but I think a simple, good opamp should be enough.
Both headphones-outs of my Marantz PM7200 amp and Marantz CD6000ki CD player are really excellent and drive the Sony's and my other two pairs of headphones very well.
And may I also suggest to just use the stock cables with your Z7s 
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #4,224 of 9,173
i'm using the ifi Micro iDSD at the moment with the headphones and still burning the phones in after receiving them yesterday. I am open to getting a separate amplifier as my next upgrade and use the iFi micro idsd as a DAC, wonder any of you may know of a good combination for such.

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #4,225 of 9,173

Hum, you would think that with the generally accepted notion that many tubes/tube amps roll off the treble and are a little warm that a tube amp may not be the best match for the Z7. Aren't people finding the Z7 to be a little warm?

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #4,226 of 9,173

Hum, you would think that with the generally accepted notion that many tubes/tube amps roll off the treble and are a little warm that a tube amp may not be the best match for the Z7. Aren't people finding the Z7 to be a little warm?

everyone has different perceptions of sound, to me i feel that these cans are just about right and i like them the way they are. I do want to consider a tube to see how it may affect the mids in an even better way

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #4,227 of 9,173
i'm using the ifi Micro iDSD at the moment with the headphones and still burning the phones in after receiving them yesterday. I am open to getting a separate amplifier as my next upgrade and use the iFi micro idsd as a DAC, wonder any of you may know of a good combination for such.

Thanks!

My Asgard 2 is doing a great job with them! Not sure if that is high end enough for you, but it's a Class A design and sounds pretty good with my SACD player

Feb 8, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #4,230 of 9,173
just wondering how everyone cleans their leather pads .. they so get sweaty and oily at times. 
do you guys use anything in particular to clean or wipe it? pretty sure water and leather is not a good mix.

I usually use baby wipes to clean my iems but not sure if it's good for leather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back