Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Dec 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #3,617 of 9,173
owners of z7...can u briefly comment about the center imaging of the z7? 
i passed by a shop yesterday with the z7 set up with the sony amp n player..loaded with their sampling songs..
the sound was enveloping from behind my ears..all over...the imaging of the singer i cant get a good fix..
maybe it is the songs they loaded..?

There are a few units on the web for around 500bucks ..tempting.

Sony z7's imaging is personally one of the best that I've ever tried for headphone under US$1,000 (I'm sure out there, there's a better one than z7 though). The soundstage is not quite mad large (not as big as hd800, but surely larger than oppo pm-1), but the imaging is quite precise, and it has a good depth perception on it. And on the other hand, Z7 really digs out the recording quality. So, if you play music with bad recording/mixing/mastering quality, it'll spit out all the worst from it without any hesitation. Quite annoying for me actually, most of my edm songs have bad mixing/mastering, and on z7, it really doesn't give a loose end for bad recording/mixing/mastering.

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #3,618 of 9,173
Well, it really depends. I did hear very poor imaging on certain Sony devices, sorry I would rather not to mention the name (PHA-X, I'm looking at you.)

I agree that Z7's soundstage is not quite as large as HD800's but still very impressive even comparing to some well-known open back headphones. And I do think Z7 deserves and is worth to a better source treatment, it improves more than I thought when paring with some level up setups, especially using balanced cable with a serious balanced amp.

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #3,619 of 9,173

Hmm for me the Z7 is more similar to 1R but with turbocharge machine while the 1A have more treble presence and lower bass impact

I am enjoying my MDR-1R, i bought those to replace my Ultrasone HFI-780, So far love my MDR-1R a lot, is better than the HFI's or even better than the XBA-H3 (still quite good sound a nice 3d'sh stage, but gosh boomy midbass). I am getting used tothe sound sig. of the 1R's, but sofar i love how they render classical music, esp, symphonies and  concerts as well small chamber or choral works.

They have this bass impact i would consider how music sounds in real life (as far for classical, i've never been to a rock or electronic/rap/house concert), but my dad hears the beatles, those may also benefit from such a headphone, really don't know well.

If so, then i define the 1R as the poor man's Z7
biggrin.gif
 (got them for $2,700MXN, lierally 2,000mxn off in night-sales at sony.com.mx, down from 4,700)

Given how sony México is... they never relased H3 earbuds, they will never release Z5, nor z7, then i doubt from 1A but they have some teaser photos of the 1A's and the walkman A10(this was released a week a go but misteriously went sold-out in a week)

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #3,620 of 9,173
Just using the SE of AK240 as a source at the moment, these Sony MDR-Z7so are so enjoyable!

where i can get a stand like that,  for my MDR-1R? I get stuff i cannot find in mexico either in Mcallenn US or via amazon US or DEU

PS my Poorman's Z7 (MDR-1R
biggrin.gif
)

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #3,621 of 9,173
I got mine from Amazon. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/LUXA2-HO-HDP-ALE1SI-00-Aluminum-Headset-Holder/dp/B00MCVOILM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418512356&sr=8-3&keywords=headphone+stand&pebp=1418512358798

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #3,622 of 9,173
Sounds come from 360 degrees.
smily_headphones1.gif

It has magic.

The MDR-1R too and at a cheaper price
darthsmile.gif
, nice 3D soundstage, i hear the flute on my right ear, the cello #1 on my back, cello #2 on front/center, the viola  on my left (Haydn flute quartets, if interested ACCENT, Barthold Kuijken & his brothers i Think)

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #3,624 of 9,173
IMHO, if you really want a poorman z7, there's the MDR-1A. Try those stuff
biggrin.gif
. Quite amusing sound for its price btw
wink.gif

But i've heard those (1A) have more bass than 1R, IMO XBA-H3 experience is somehow SO-SO, prefer not too much bass, 1R seem fine for my tastes :D, and sony MX does't have MDR-1A
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #3,625 of 9,173

The MDR-1R too and at a cheaper price
darthsmile.gif
, nice 3D soundstage, i hear the flute on my right ear, the cello #1 on my back, cello #2 on front/center, the viola  on my left (Haydn flute quartets, if interested ACCENT, Barthold Kuijken & his brothers i Think)

Not mean any offense, but generally the flutes are in the left or center part of orchestra, so flute should be on left ear unless the microphone is located at viola parts. At least in my case I cannot remember hearing any flutes coming from my right ear.

Giving an example, Peer Gynt Suite No. 1, Op. 46: Morning Mood, I can clearly hear flutes in left earcup of Z7, and I know they are located in left and close to center. Those oboes are on right ear; tuba and French Horns are behind oboes which are also on right ear. 

Again, I didn't mean any offense but imaging especially the ability to locate instrument parts is the top priority when I purchase headphones, and luckily Z7 does everything that I need. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #3,627 of 9,173

Not mean any offense, but generally the flutes are in the left or center part of orchestra, so flute should be on left ear unless the microphone is located at viola parts. At least in my case I cannot remember hearing any flutes coming from my right ear.

Giving an example, Peer Gynt Suite No. 1, Op. 46: Morning Mood, I can clearly hear flutes in left earcup of Z7, and I know they are located in left and close to center. Those oboes are on right ear; tuba and French Horns are behind oboes which are also on right ear. 

Again, I didn't mean any offense but imaging especially the ability to locate instrument parts is the top priority when I purchase headphones, and luckily Z7 does everything that I need. 

Yes i know in the orchestra where they are located, but this was a Haydn quartet for flute two cellos and a viola

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #3,628 of 9,173

Proud and honored to be in woodwind family for seven years.

Member of the brass section for 35 years! Brass kicks ass. 
tongue.gif
  My 10 year old daughter is following in my footsteps at school and is playing my trumpet in her band.

BTW, love the chart...thanks...great reference to have on hand.

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #3,629 of 9,173

Proud and honored to be in woodwind family for seven years.

Yes you are right even on a quartet they are onb the left... <drum rool there>.... I was putting the MDR-1R <hand palm in the face> "backwards"
biggrin.gif
 haha the R side on my left side and the L side on my right, pardon my foolishness.. just saw the markings on my MDR-1R
darthsmile.gif
 Out of excitement i just put them as got them :p, put them "backwards" to avoid the annoying Headphone jack rattling prob. of the MDR-1R

Now they sound even more superb in the "right" place LOL, more expansive soundstage

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #3,630 of 9,173

Yes you are right even on a quartet they are onb the left... <drum rool there>.... I was putting the MDR-1R <hand palm in the face> "backwards"
biggrin.gif
 haha the R side on my left side and the L side on my right, pardon my foolishness.. just saw the markings on my MDR-1R
darthsmile.gif
 Out of excitement i just put them as got them :p, put them "backwards" to avoid the annoying Headphone jack rattling prob. of the MDR-1R

Yep, that's why I was wondering because I thought 1R has very good imaging at the time comparing to those flagship portable headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back