Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Oct 18, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #1,981 of 9,173
Yeah, I just tried via email too. No choice but to wait for a response.

Just noticed the unbalanced cable included with the Z7 is 10ft!

Really don't wanna go through a repeat of trying to use my HD 598s and their 10ft cable with my portables. Finally got a 3ft replacement cable but not sure I'd shell out over $200 for the Kimber cable.

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #1,982 of 9,173

Well, I'm starting to see some of the revealing natures of the Z7.  I hit a recording that's, well, crappy.  Eric Clapton's "The Hand Jive".  Now I will say I don't agree with the statement that these Sony cans need hi-res music.  But I will say a bad quality recording will sound, well, bad.  Maybe extra bad...

I put on some Black Eyed Peas to hear more thumpy bass, and I'm feeling some rumble.  But I'm starting to feel these, though with bass presence, are not going to be a top tier basshead phone...  But take that for what its worth, from a non-basshead.

But female vocals, oh the female vocals.  I listened to Esperanza Spalding & Algebra Blessett sing "Black Gold".  And these might replace my HD650s as my go to, for my lady crush music...

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #1,983 of 9,173

Well, I'm starting to see some of the revealing natures of the Z7.  I hit a recording that's, well, crappy.  Eric Clapton's "The Hand Jive".  Now I will say I don't agree with the statement that these Sony cans need hi-res music.  But I will say a bad quality recording will sound, well, bad.  Maybe extra bad...

I put on some Black Eyed Peas to hear more thumpy bass, and I'm feeling some rumble.  But I'm starting to feel these, though with bass presence, are not going to be a top tier basshead phone...  But take that for what its worth, from a non-basshead.

But female vocals, oh the female vocals.  I listened to Esperanza Spalding & Algebra Blessett sing "Black Gold".  And these might replace my HD650s as my go to, for my lady crush music...

good!

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #1,986 of 9,173
  its on order already. I ordered early last week. Today was the forecasted ship date. 

Nice! In that case try not to sell it by the time the meet gets a set date and location!
L3000.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #1,987 of 9,173
Oct 18, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #1,988 of 9,173

Out of curiosity, how does the bass compare between the Z7 and the HD650's?

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #1,990 of 9,173
How long does it take for a Z7 purchased from PriceJapan / FromJapan to arrive in the US from the moment the order is placed to the moment it's delivered?

Thanks

Oct 18, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #1,992 of 9,173
  Well, so far so good. They are somewhat on the thick and dark side of things, but this works well with modern recordings. Older stuff ... not so great. Mind you, the last pair of headphones I used were LCD-Xs and HD-800s before that, so I have to let my brain adapt to quite a bit more bass. Covering the bottom vents with my thumbs seems to drop the bass a bit. 

Holy heck they are light and comfortable though. The headband has a nice arc to it that suits heads like mine, unlike the AT cans which I need to bend to something closer to that shape.

Currawong - I'm interested in these for acoustic music, small ensembles with female vocals especially.  My preferred signature would be the AKG sound - kind of dry and airy?

Oct 18, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #1,993 of 9,173
Going to cancel the z7. I feel fooled for listening to Jude and I most definitely am looking for an audiophile can. I already have a fun can the d600 and it's not a bad headphone but I have a Bluetooth speaker and a good car system for listening to fun music and never use them. I need a lay down and caress my ears kind of headphone with great linear treble extension and smooth mids and lots of detail.

Watch your mouth Doc

Oct 18, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #1,994 of 9,173
"I feel fooled" is not in any way doing anything wrong. . It's not like I'm calling someone names. I didn't take it as him lying just that his impressions where witty being that the positive vocabulary he used was enticing to everyone while never mentioning anywhere the headphones lacked and stating they where possibly the best headphones Sony has ever made. The md-r10 is probably the most dreamt about headphone to us audiophiles so that statement was SUPER bold. Also, since day one on this website, I've always based my dream headphone off of his reviews (though I've found more sources) so when I finally came across what seemed to be Sony's gift from above for us audiophiles I purchased it only to hear from very well regarded people that it simply isn't what Jude Advertised it to be.

Oct 18, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #1,995 of 9,173
Jude's exuberance may be unmeasured, but his words are not. What he says is almost always carefully qualified and calibrated. I suspect you were hearing/reading what you wanted to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back