Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Sep 30, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #1,231 of 9,173
  They are probably selecting EMS instead of Fed-Ex...
Definitely tempting... ugh... and worse... I do have the funds in Paypal... ... .... hmmmm... .... LOL

My guess is that EMS >>> Fed-Ex for shipments from Japan. I've imported a couple of guitars from Japan via EMS and the service was so efficient that I think they may have a supersonic jet running between Tokyo and San Francisco.

Sep 30, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #1,232 of 9,173
I'll just point out if warranty is important, Amazon will be easier to get support from Sony.  Importing means dealing with Price Japan, with any issues.  And, you'll have to flip the bill to send it back...

But for most people, this isn't important.  I would be more concerned with a DAP or the PHA-3.

Definitely, paying for return shipping through middlemen really hurts. I wouldn't be surprised if it costs 1/10th of the price of the z7's.

Sep 30, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #1,233 of 9,173

My guess is that EMS >>> Fed-Ex for shipments from Japan. I've imported a couple of guitars from Japan via EMS and the service was so efficient that I think they may have a supersonic jet running between Tokyo and San Francisco.

I agree, I had my Audio GD Amp come from China to South Carolina USA in 3 days... including weekends q.q

Sep 30, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #1,234 of 9,173
Personally the lack of air in the treble department and the benefits added using the kinda "obligatory"  PHA 3 seems to break the deal...
I am still waiting for other impressions, but man so close and yet so far.
I could have finally reach the shore of appeasement for a while but it seems like my hunt for my next perfect headphone is not over.  

Sep 30, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #1,235 of 9,173
  Personally the lack of air in the treble department and the benefits added using the kinda "obligatory"  PHA 3 seems to break the deal...
I could have finally reach the shore of appeasement for a while but it seems like my hunt for my next perfect headphone is not over.  

I haven't even held mine yet, and I'm already considering adding some silver to the cables.....lol

Sep 30, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #1,236 of 9,173

Yea, and there's nothing wrong with a darker sounding closed back, my W1000x, after spending about 5 hours with it today, sounds great to my ears. I love it with my hm801 and iBasso Pb2, and I've having a hard time finding an upgrade to it. As I've modded my W1000x, so it's VERY aggressive and has very little warmth and decay.

I'm getting the impression that the MDR Z7 is going to have a sig simmilar to the LA DXK's do, which is tilted to darkness with a slight tilt to mids n bass 

As much as I loved my Modded D2k, is was in all honesty MUCH darker than I realized, the benifit of that is it didn't really mind the some what lack of air in it until I compared it to my W1000x and HE 4, ofc in the grand scheme of things the D2k was sold and the other Two I kept

But for those who like the darker sound, the MDR Z7 might be perfection! Though I have a feeling that the Sound Stage Depth alone might push the MDR Z7 a step above the LA DXK headphones, my W1000x Angled driver offers more sound stage depth that my HE 4, now the HE 4 is PRETTY close behind and has a better spacial placement back wards, forwards, left an right over the W1000x, but my point is Angled Drivers rn't just "gimmy" or a marketing ploy, they do improve sound stage and instrument palcement, for the better! 

Sep 30, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #1,237 of 9,173

I haven't even held mine yet, and I'm already considering adding some silver to the cables.....lol

Oh if I wind up with one, it has to get a re cable, just to work with my exisiting balanced amps :/, I'll tell ya what though. When I had my HE 400 my Toxic Hybrid Copper Silver Cable really did make the HE 400... airer. Not bright, but gave me more treble attack and better extension. 

My point is, a silver cable might be a good choice to go. I've heard first hand the benifits to treble extention a quality silver cable can add 

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #1,238 of 9,173
  Oh if I wind up with one, it has to get a re cable, just to work with my exisiting balanced amps :/, I'll tell ya what though. When I had my HE 400 my Toxic Hybrid Copper Silver Cable really did make the HE 400... airer. Not bright, but gave me more treble attack and better extension. 

My point is, a silver cable might be a good choice to go. I've heard first hand the benifits to treble extention a quality silver cable can add 

I'm thinking SPC, terminated in mini 4 pin XLR, then a "Y" adapter for the PHA-3.  I already have adapters for 4 pin XLR, and RSA, and 1/8", and 1/4".........

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #1,239 of 9,173
Owning myself the MDR- 7520, I have the feeling that the Z7 isn't a big enough improvement over them as I want it to be.
And so far from the impressions I have the feeling that the sound is very familiar.
The 7520 lack a bit of air in the treble thus giving the soundstage a bit of narrowness on certain genres (rock especially).
It's apparent to me as I tend to listen to low and normal volumes .
Now if the Z7 have very good  instruments separation and depth in the soundstage I wouldn't mind the lack of air in the treble as long as it is not darker than my 7520. 

Also from the impressions so far, its quite obvious that the number one pro of these seems to be the overall comfort,
I have got nothing against comfort but the first praise should be about the sound IMO. 

Anyway I am still waiting for further impressions

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #1,240 of 9,173
  Owning myself the MDR- 7520, I have the feeling that the Z7 isn't a big enough improvement over them as I want it to be.
And so far from the impressions I have the feeling that the sound is very familiar.
The 7520 lack a bit of air in the treble thus giving the soundstage a bit of narrowness on certain genres (rock especially).
Now if the Z7 have very good  instruments separation and depth in the soundstage I wouldn't mind the lack of air in the treble as long as it is not darker than my 7520. 

Also from the impressions so far, its quite obvious that the number one pro of these seems to be the overall comfort,
I have got nothing against comfort but the first praise should be about the sound IMO. 

And what I LOVE about the W1000x is it... the sound signiture creates depth and sound stage, it will give a terribly mastered album a nice sense of depth that's due to the coloration of it. Accented and aggressive mids, with nice extension on both ends, ofc my issue with it is the treble can get a touch rough at times, espically with poorly mastered albums, and thats coming out of my slow, and warm hm801. So for me, I'd like another aggressive some what dry headphone to upgrade it with, and there's not a lot of cans with that signiture... well not closed backs anyway

And yea, I'm with you Force, comofort is great but if the musics amazing I'm going to forget what's sitting on my ears. brains to busy gettin chills from the music! I'm still egar to see how the MDR Z7 is going to compare to the Mr Speakers Alpha Dog and the Modded D7ks off of the PHA 3 

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #1,241 of 9,173

I'm thinking about this also, having (and loving) the 7520's, will it get my money? I'm looking out for comparisons between the two. I can't afford $600 on something similar, when I can put that money towards another semi-closed winner.

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #1,242 of 9,173
So wait... does the Z7 leak like a semi-open can or not? (e.g. Fostex Th600/900)

Didn't Nomax say there was no leakage?

Jude? if you could chime in please?

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #1,244 of 9,173
Honestly my Hype for these has kinda died, Upon hearing it's "warm" and the treble isn't as "bright" as some want I have a feeling it's running the same over played sound signiture as the Shure 1540 and Mad Dog did, and what do the Mad Dog and Shure 1540 have in common? MASSIVE amounts of Hype around them, and while both are very good closed cans, and while the Sony MDR Z7 will out perform them, they all have the tried and true, boring and over played "warm" sound.  If I'm going to have yet another warm can to choose from on the market, I'd rather get a modded D7k purely for the look and feel of the Wood. Or maybe even a JVX DX 1000 as I could use a nice Bass can for my EDM, like my D2k became eventually

Either way, to hear it's lacking the treble extension I've lost interest.

I am how ever still interested in the LCD XC, and possibly the TH 900 as at the very least they are standing out in a market of some what over played "warm" sounding cans.  I got a chance to hear the LCD 2 Fazor, and it wasn't warm but it was very dark, and it wasn't in any way a bad sound signiture. It stood and stands out in my mind. To me the LCD 2 Fazor was Dark, where as my Modded D2k was warm, and I prefered the Darker sound of the LCD 2 to the warmer one of the D2k, how ever for portable use I need a closed back, 

how ever :D here's to hoping some of us can get a chance to listen with a head Fi Demo tour or something ^^ as I'd really like to just hear it my self, 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back