Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jul 22, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #8,972 of 9,173
1595437854243.png

I love that amp! So much I bought a second one.
That Yamaha CD player is nice. That whole high-end range of Yamaha, especially the A-S3200 amp is gorgeous.
1595438025066.png

Jul 27, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #8,975 of 9,173
Hi, How do you remove the pads, i have unscrewed the screw at the bottom of the cup (it doesnt come all the way out, that normal?) I tried to twist off with this screw released as much as possible but no luck!

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #8,976 of 9,173
Jul 27, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #8,977 of 9,173
i just picked up a z7, 7xxx serial number, it has the left side rattle at low frequency problem have to be decently loud and sound is 20 to 40hz ish. has anybody with this problem tried the tape mod and see that fixed it? i opened it up and put the left driver next to my ear and the rattle is coming from the driver not due to enclosure or pad. a bit disappointed it affect a few tracks only most are ok.

Jul 27, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #8,978 of 9,173
i just picked up a z7, 7xxx serial number, it has the left side rattle at low frequency problem have to be decently loud and sound is 20 to 40hz ish. has anybody with this problem tried the tape mod and see that fixed it? i opened it up and put the left driver next to my ear and the rattle is coming from the driver not due to enclosure or pad. a bit disappointed it affect a few tracks only most are ok.

I have z7, i can confirm that i dont have that problem that you are mentioned/described, too bad, i hope you can claimed warranty on that or get serviced, but since this product kindda classified as discontinued i doubt that, but i hope they still can fix/repair it.

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #8,979 of 9,173

That manufacturing defect has been reported from time to time in this thread. The folks returned the headphones for another pair.

Jul 28, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #8,980 of 9,173
That manufacturing defect has been reported from time to time in this thread. The folks returned the headphones for another pair.

I took it apart to take a look. i didn't go in deeper as to disassemble the driver further to see if the internal magnet is glued properly. it's not that bad. on my fiio m11 on high gain running balanced only very few techno tracks can hear the left side vibrate more than right side. at volume 90/120 and above. contacted sony with receipt they are saying the headphone is a 2014 model and they don't do warranty anymore. even if it's less than a year old. i have pretty good record with all sony stuff. i have 2 ma900 and those are not even made in japan and haven't break yet. one is quite worn.

i got it for 375USD equivalent with a kimber kable 3.5mm one, which i know it's uesless lol. the original cable haven't been opened yet. i'll try contact sony again and see can do a repair. they were trying to replace the whole thing first.

Sony warranty claim guys are great to talk to but once pass on to the above and not so good. Audeze so far had been great. sent in a EL8, sent back a new b stock LCD classic, can't beat that hehe. the sony z7 is very decent for the price. i been rolling some closed headphones since have family now.

Aug 1, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #8,982 of 9,173
Yes, apparantly. As shown in this video.

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #8,983 of 9,173
Vacationed in the great US state of Maine, and took my Z7’s along. Put on Pat Metheney’s Farmers Trust track from the album Travels. Lots of birds and nature sounds...
Halfway through the track I hung the Z7’s around my neck and listened to nature instead. It was even nicer.
Didn’t use the cans until last night in bed.
What a lullaby.

Aug 26, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #8,984 of 9,173
Hello! Got an offer for this headphone plus a sony pha-1a amp for 350 usd. Is that a good price? How is this headphone compared to f.ex Oppo PM3? I listen to much neoclassical(Nils Frahm style etc),classical, electronic( like rival consoles) ambient and postrock( GY!BE etc). Will this headphone suit that style?

Aug 26, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #8,985 of 9,173
Hello! Got an offer for this headphone plus a sony pha-1a amp for 350 usd. Is that a good price? How is this headphone compared to f.ex Oppo PM3? I listen to much neoclassical(Nils Frahm style etc),classical, electronic( like rival consoles) ambient and postrock( GY!BE etc). Will this headphone suit that style?

i only use it for electronics music through hugo and fancy usb cable and stuff. sounds really good. i use it more than hd800 and lcd-xc. not as confortable as ma900 but for a closed it's easy to wear and the sound signature is so easy to listen to and plenty of detail and bass is great. keep an eye on the serial number you want 20000+ ones mine is 7xxx and had a bit of that rattle problem. but i been using the heck out of it and it improved and almost not noticeable unless at mega high volume.

the pha-1a looks like 250 USD back then. so yeah definitely good deal. decent deals in USA vs canada for sure. mine worked out to be 400 USD came with 3.5mm sony kimber cable. you can sell the amp on ebay and then you have a cheap z7.

it's pretty good for any music type. you can apply the mod if you want and make it sound more like z1r or z7m2. just that tape mod and wire mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back