Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
May 20, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #8,881 of 9,173
I've had my OG Z7 for about a year now, I love this damn thing! I go back and forth on which I like more, the Z7 or Z7M2, truth is I love them both for different reasons and I don't think I'll ever part with either one. I drive them both mainly from a Jotunheim w/DAC combo with a Kimber 4.4 balanced cable with XLR adapter. My ZX300 seems to drive them both to loud volumes but in my head I imagine them both sounding best from the much more powerful Jot, even though I probably couldn't pick which was which blindly.

May 21, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #8,882 of 9,173
I've had my OG Z7 for about a year now, I love this damn thing! I go back and forth on which I like more, the Z7 or Z7M2, truth is I love them both for different reasons and I don't think I'll ever part with either one. I drive them both mainly from a Jotunheim w/DAC combo with a Kimber 4.4 balanced cable with XLR adapter. My ZX300 seems to drive them both to loud volumes but in my head I imagine them both sounding best from the much more powerful Jot, even though I probably couldn't pick which was which blindly.

I've been very happy coming straight from my ZX300 over balanced cable. I can't imagine it sounding better. Would an amp really be superior to or improve the sound coming directly? I am dubious.

May 21, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #8,883 of 9,173
I've been very happy coming straight from my ZX300 over balanced cable. I can't imagine it sounding better. Would an amp really be superior to or improve the sound coming directly? I am dubious.

It’s subjective as far as some notice more than others. But it simply would be important if you wanted the last fraction of quality from the MDR-Z7.

It’s not really about getting them louder but slightly more power, like from a desktop will make them seem like they have more bass. Also the bass is cleaned up slightly in the lower midrange and bass area. The increase in bass maybe only 1 dB but it seems like more due to better imaging and definition. The soundstage and imaging may just slightly improve. At least these are my findings using a desktop in contrast to a DAP, though the changes could be viewed as small.

May 21, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #8,884 of 9,173
Honestly I doubt I could blindly discern the two. It's just seeing it plugged into that big shiny desktop amp, it's hard not to imagine it sounds better than my little DAP. That doesn't mean it does though...

May 23, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #8,885 of 9,173
It’s subjective as far as some notice more than others. But it simply would be important if you wanted the last fraction of quality from the MDR-Z7.

It’s not really about getting them louder but slightly more power, like from a desktop will make them seem like they have more bass. Also the bass is cleaned up slightly in the lower midrange and bass area. The increase in bass maybe only 1 dB but it seems like more due to better imaging and definition. The soundstage and imaging may just slightly improve. At least these are my findings using a desktop in contrast to a DAP, though the changes could be viewed as small.
That's basically my experience with desktop amp when compared to portable dap/amp as well

May 23, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #8,886 of 9,173
That's basically my experience with desktop amp when compared to portable dap/amp as well

Thank-you. Yes, it’s a tricky concept as stuff really doesn’t need to be louder, when going from DAP to desktop. It is small but it’s just a substantiated tone character change. And in a way these ideas are very new as in 2010 we really didn’t have too much powerful portable stuff, like now. I remember Ray Samuels handing me a portable full-size headphone running balanced off his (Intruder?) portable amplifier; it was a very new concept, from what I had seen before.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #8,887 of 9,173
Thank-you. Yes, it’s a tricky concept as stuff really doesn’t need to be louder, when going from DAP to desktop. It is small but it’s just a substantiated tone character change. And in a way these ideas are very new as in 2010 we really didn’t have too much powerful portable stuff, like now. I remember Ray Samuels handing me a portable full-size headphone running balanced off his (Intruder?) portable amplifier; it was a very new concept, from what I had seen before.
What do you think of the Z7M2?

May 23, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #8,888 of 9,173
What do you think of the Z7M2?

It’s something I’ve never heard. In reality it’s a little difficult to demo stuff for me. So yes, I’m curious, and of course you kinda have to take every review....... good, or bad with a grain of salt. In self delusion I tell myself that having both the MDR-Z1R and MDR-Z7 means I don’t need it. I’m actually more of a IEM person, but come from years and years of full-size use. In fact in 2010 I wouldn’t even try IEMs very much, but things change.

To tell you the truth I’m actually very fascinated with the MDR-Z7 construction? It’s kind of complementary to the Z1R....both in SQ and construction/design.....but is easier to wear, and offers a character of it’s own which to me is flawless? I would even go on record to say, the Z7 is complete in every way. I’ve stopped and retired from wanting anything? I keep the Z7 in a overkill pelican case with a moisture absorption device, and take it out at times to listen, other times to hold it as a Sony historic artifact in admiration? Lol

I talk about 2010 a lot, as to me it was a big turning point at Head-Fi. We had a big influx of normies as well as the first “real” DAPs were introduced. Flagship headphones started to jump up in price, and headphones seemed to go from obscurity to mainstream overnight? There was also the beginning of what seems to be a new sound for headphones starting with the Fostex/Denon AHD7000 popularity and Beats by Dre. IMO

To me the direction the MDR-Z7 arrived at started with consumer Sony headphones in 2010?

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #8,889 of 9,173
Z 7 2.JPG
Z 7 3.JPG
Z 7 4.JPG
Z 7 5.JPG
Z 7 6.JPG
Z7 1.jpg

May 23, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #8,890 of 9,173
Beautiful pics! Don't think I see a single blemish on those things! Mine are the same way though. I bought them used here on the forums. My Z7M2, which also came used from here, came with a couple blemishes unfortunately. Very tiny but there nonetheless.

I agree the Z7 is one of the best built headphones I own. I love that it's made in Japan too.
To compare the two: the M2 lacks some of that deep and impactful bass of the Z7, but the M2 has better speed, clarity and imaging to my ears. And it still has some serious thump when the track calls for it, though it doesn't bleed into the mids nearly as much as the Z7, if at all.
The Z7M2 was wildly overpriced at launch, though it seems lack of sales has possibly brought Sony back to reality: they seem to be out of stock in many places but they were going for around $600. Which is way more realistic than the initial $900 asking price at launch.

I think $600 for a Z7M2 and all the included accessories/cables is a better deal than the Audeze LCD2C in a cardboard box and one SE cable for $800.

As an IEM lover you owe it to yourself to pick up the IER-M9, even though you already own the IER-Z1R.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #8,891 of 9,173
Ive just bought an as new set of these for cheap to go with my wm1z, wm1a, ier z1r... yeah I’m a Sony fan. I know these have not been liked by everyone but I couldn’t resist

May 30, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #8,892 of 9,173
one thing Sony seriously is a master of is making them all fit together as a collections.

Flagship DAP, Headphone, IEM, Desktop Amp, Near Field Speakers, all in the same Signature series.

Someone that owned and like/ love just one of them gonna want to go and try out the others on the series, even just to see the "sygergy" between source-gear it "maybe" has, or for the tranducers, to fulfill a different use case.

Impossible to do this unless you're someone as big as Sony.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #8,894 of 9,173
Wow I really like these! I can see why perhaps many traditional audiophiles night like them but they are so comfy and well built. Plus I love the dark bass sound. Non fatiguing in the slightest

Jun 2, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #8,895 of 9,173
If I had to leave these headphones untouched for some reason, I would have returned them right away instead. Too many bass reflections inside the cup limiting the true potential of these cans! I wonder how many owners have actually applied the well known medical tape mod for the Z7 to remedy the problem. Those of you who haven't done this, you have no idea what you're missing...

Just to give you an idea of what these reflections do, they will eliminate the incredible chesty sub-bass feeling that the Z7 are capable of delivering. They'll mask soundstage nuances and pressurize your ears. The mod works just like anxiolytic pill for the music, calming down things and bringing out the lost details and clarity.

That's why I'm not a big fan of closed headphones. I really do not think they present any musical advantage over the open back except for the isolation. But the Z7 was such a nice opportunity. And thankfully a mod for them is applicable.

If you think I'm exaggerating, there's only one way to find out :wrench: :sweat: :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back