Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Nov 27, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #8,761 of 9,173
I really don't understand how anyone could hate Z7's bass:L3000:.... and I thought I am a Mid lover! :beyersmile:

Nov 27, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #8,762 of 9,173
I really don't understand how anyone could hate Z7's bass:L3000:.... and I thought I am a Mid lover! :beyersmile:
I agree ! Last night I pulled the Z7 out for a listen, probably the first time in over a year. I must say it sounded better than I remember. I was using a desktop amp with a cd player and after market balanced cable. Listened to a favorite cd that's all about the vocals and mid range and it sounded great. Over all it just sounded big, the bass was great but it did not take away from the vocals. The soundstage is very nice for a closed HP, better than some opens I have. Was thinking about selling them, as I don't use then much. I think I will just keep them as they don't eat much !

Nov 27, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #8,763 of 9,173
Gave my brother the MDR -EX100 IEM’s I’ve had for a few years since he freaked out about how good they are. He needs them more than I do.
We exchanged texts last night about music we were enjoying, and he couldn’t say enough about the sound quality on his end.
I assured him I wasn’t suffering with the Z7’s.
Great stuff from Sony out there.

Dec 15, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #8,764 of 9,173
Hey everyone, total noob here, in more ways than one. I have some questions about the Z7 if anyone is interested in helping an aspiring nerd out.

First, I should say what I'm after in a headphone. While I listen to music of many genres, by far my most listened genre is classical. So I am looking for the best possible classical headphone experience I can find on a moderate budget.

I have been listening on a pair of Sony MDR-1000X noise canceling headphones using the LDAC codec. I am pleased with the performance, and love the portability for work and commuting, but I have reservations about the longevity of the phones - I've already had to replace one of the headband plastic frames with a 3D printed replacement sourced from eBay.

My DAP is the Sony NW-A45. I am very pleased with its performance. I love how it organizes my music, the minimalist touch interface that is still visually rich, and the large SD card support. I have a large collection of classical music (heavy on Karajan) that is mostly 44/16 FLAC rips from CD, but also plenty of higher-res files, up to 192/24 and DSD. I have a more selective collection of rock, jazz and pop acquired throughout my life, mostly 44/16 FLAC with a few higher-res purchases.

So I am awaiting delivery of a pair of Sony MDR-Z7 cans, purchased used from eBay. They cost me $300, which seemed fair (I had been lusting after the MDR-Z1R's, but could not justify the cost to myself, let alone my wife). The one drawback is that they only include the OEM unbalanced cable - I assume the seller unloaded the balanced cable separately. Now, I do not currently have any devices that will do balanced output (the NW-A45 doesn't), but I wish I would have gotten the cable too, for future proofing.

So here are my questions:

1. Does anyone have knowledge of driving these cans from a DAP, and specifically my DAP? It seems to me like it should provide enough power, because I have driven the MDR-7506 and MDR-1000X from it wired, and they weigh in at 63 Ohms and 46 Ohms respectively. Would I really gain anything by using a portable or desktop amp? Any recommendations for an amp at $100 or less? $300 or less? Are there DAPs that would provide the same benefits as a separate amp?

2. How much does balanced cable really change the sound here? If it is significant, any guesses as to why? Any recommendations for after-market balanced cables that are in the $50-$100 range?

3. I have been reading about mids and highs that are "distant" or "rolled off." Do these observations comport with your own experiences? Can these qualities be mitigated successfully by equalizer adjustment? Is there any reason not to do so?

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #8,765 of 9,173
Hey everyone, total noob here, in more ways than one. I have some questions about the Z7 if anyone is interested in helping an aspiring nerd out.

First, I should say what I'm after in a headphone. While I listen to music of many genres, by far my most listened genre is classical. So I am looking for the best possible classical headphone experience I can find on a moderate budget.

I have been listening on a pair of Sony MDR-1000X noise canceling headphones using the LDAC codec. I am pleased with the performance, and love the portability for work and commuting, but I have reservations about the longevity of the phones - I've already had to replace one of the headband plastic frames with a 3D printed replacement sourced from eBay.

My DAP is the Sony NW-A45. I am very pleased with its performance. I love how it organizes my music, the minimalist touch interface that is still visually rich, and the large SD card support. I have a large collection of classical music (heavy on Karajan) that is mostly 44/16 FLAC rips from CD, but also plenty of higher-res files, up to 192/24 and DSD. I have a more selective collection of rock, jazz and pop acquired throughout my life, mostly 44/16 FLAC with a few higher-res purchases.

So I am awaiting delivery of a pair of Sony MDR-Z7 cans, purchased used from eBay. They cost me $300, which seemed fair (I had been lusting after the MDR-Z1R's, but could not justify the cost to myself, let alone my wife). The one drawback is that they only include the OEM unbalanced cable - I assume the seller unloaded the balanced cable separately. Now, I do not currently have any devices that will do balanced output (the NW-A45 doesn't), but I wish I would have gotten the cable too, for future proofing.

1. Does anyone have knowledge of driving these cans from a DAP, and specifically my DAP? It seems to me like it should provide enough power, because I have driven the MDR-7506 and MDR-1000X from it wired, and they weigh in at 63 Ohms and 46 Ohms respectively. Would I really gain anything by using a portable or desktop amp? Any recommendations for an amp at $100 or less? $300 or less? Are there DAPs that would provide the same benefits as a separate amp?

2. How much does balanced cable really change the sound here? If it is significant, any guesses as to why? Any recommendations for after-market balanced cables that are in the $50-$100 range?

3. I have been reading about mids and highs that are "distant" or "rolled off." Do these observations comport with your own experiences? Can these qualities be mitigated successfully by equalizer adjustment? Is there any reason not to do so?

Thanks for reading!

1. You need a fair amount of power, and the NW-A45 is particularly weak in output. I'll say you get a bit more of a bass punch if you use an appropriate amp or another DAP. ZX300 is the next step up for DAPs in Sony's line, but if you want the power, it has to be balanced.

2. Depends on source - just because it's balanced doesn't mean anything. For the ZX300, the balanced is much more powerful and hisses less for sensitive IEMs.

3. Unfortunately yes, and that was what drew me away from these headphones and instead to the Z7M2. Loved the build quality and the 'Made in Japan' label, but the sound wasn't there for me. I suppose it doesn't hurt to try EQing, but people have experimented with mods with varying levels of success.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #8,766 of 9,173

Thanks for reading!
I'm a noob too (and also curious), so I'll let others more qualified than I weigh in. However, I did just pop in to say that the guy I bought mine from on ebay sold them with cables from this guy who runs a business called SurfCables. I think its just one dude out of San Diego. Pretty reasonable and he makes each one custom to spec. He also fixed one of mine that I broke 3 years after I bought it, no charge. Anyways, he makes a Z7 cable terminated however you want it, and I think he deserves a shoutout. https://www.surfcables.com/collections/cables-1/products/sony-mdr-z7?variant=26226343939

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #8,767 of 9,173
I've put an order in on a used Sony ZX-300 Walkman. It has a balanced output and puts out significantly more power than the NW-A45. I hope this unit will negate the need for an additional amplifier (I'd really like an all in one solution).

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #8,768 of 9,173

Only in comparison with other headphones, once your ears adjust to it is is not an issue, at least not for me. EQ-ing may work very well, not much correction is needed. I never use the EQ-preset however, I like the sound just as it is.
They are fine as they are, with all their flaws. Never been tempted to modd them, because there is nothing bothering me, no nasty ear piercing peak or excessive grain. Yes the bass is bloated, but I love it, because it is not that hard hitting, but smooth with an analogue (tape deck like) bloom. I may have been tempted, if in an unlikely event this was the only pair of headphones I were allowed to use for the rest of my life (some weird Twilight Zone crap). But since I own a few pairs of headphones I like to preserve the differences in character, tonality and overall feel. These Sony's are my favorites for recordings of the 70s.
Don't buy these and think these are a pair of reference headphones at a certain price point, they're obviously not. If you want a reference sound get a pair of HD600/650s for 300 bucks or maybe a pair of AKG K550 MKII/IIIs for under 150 bucks.
BTW, you may well consider the AudioQuest NightHawks/Owls. In my opinion they are better allrounders and perform better with classical music

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #8,769 of 9,173
The cans are in my possession. They are in like-new condition, serial number in the 34000's. I have done about 30 minutes of listening from my NW-A45 over the OEM unbalanced cable.

1. I may not understand yet what "properly driven" headphones are or sound like, but these did not seem "hard to drive." I listened at about 65 to 70 out of 120 volume from the A45. I detected no interference or anemic sound. For other wired cans I usually listened between 50-55/120.

2. I listened to Hi-Res FLAC and DSD files: A Love Supreme by Coltrane, Thriller by Michael Jackson, Beethoven's 5th by Karajan/BPO, Tchaikovsky's 4th by Karajan/BPO. They all sounded fabulous. Compared to my MDR-1000X, the bass is probably the biggest difference - it is deeper and more enveloping, but also cleaner. I believe I noticed a generally increased level of detail across the spectrum, owing to that clean sound,but I need to do A/B comparisons later tonight. I can't say I really understand evaluations of "distant" mids or treble, or "boomy" bass for that matter, but then, I have not listened to a highly "analytical" set of cans.

As of right now, I feel very good about this purchase for $300. They sound great to my ears, coming from the MDR-1000X. I don't really know how much better the sound could get coming from the ZX300 over balanced cables, but I've already paid for them and they're on the way here. So I guess I will find out what, if anything, is the difference coming from that source combo. If there is none, I will resell them and consider myself happy. Although I am currently skeptical of the purported benefits of greater power output and balanced connections, I am open to having the benefits proved in listening.

UPDATE: I did some A/B comparisons of the same tracks on both sets of cans. The Z7 has deeper bass. It sounds a bit more spacious. I noticed on a piano performance of Philip Glass that the Z7 made things sound considerably roomier - the sound felt further from my ears. But it doesn't thoroughly outclass the MDR-1000X. Maybe it will with a balanced output cable. We will see, I guess.

Both are very enjoyable headphones. The Z7 is considerably more comfortable and has far fewer creaks in the body. It isolates far less noise, though. The Z7 is a "late night at home in a comfortable chair with a glass of wine" sort of headphone, where the MDR-1000X is a road warrior. I feel like the latter, at least as I currently have it wired, provides 90% of the performance for 50% of the MSRP.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #8,770 of 9,173
MDR Z7 is fantastic if you come from low to midrange headphone, its just those high end freak that like to complaint about its tuning. IMO, it can be anyone's endgame just fine.
it sure is for me.

Still gonna dream up of Z1R tho Its been along time since i hear that one..

Dec 17, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #8,771 of 9,173
MDR Z7 is fantastic if you come from low to midrange headphone, its just those high end freak that like to complaint about its tuning. IMO, it can be anyone's endgame just fine.
it sure is for me.

Still gonna dream up of Z1R tho Its been along time since i hear that one..

I will say that, while listening to PJ Harvey's "To Bring You My Love" last night (44/16 FLAC rip), the bass seemed slightly anemic compared to the MDR-1000X. Perhaps the ZX300/balanced cable combo (coming by the end of the week) will ameliorate that. I will experiment and report.

I totally agree that this headphone ought to please practically anyone, except for those who desire to buy more. Hi-Fi addiction is a real thing :) Speaking of which, I too lust after the Z1R... but there is just no way, unless I see a sudden financial windfall, that I'm going to drop over $1k on a pair of headphones. Or an amp to drive it.

I notice you have an XZ Premium! I had one as my main phone a while back - such beautiful device. And I use it now as a DAP in my living room. I actually used it over LDAC to do the testing on my MDR-1000X last night as well.

Dec 17, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #8,772 of 9,173
I will say that, while listening to PJ Harvey's "To Bring You My Love" last night (44/16 FLAC rip), the bass seemed slightly anemic compared to the MDR-1000X. Perhaps the ZX300/balanced cable combo (coming by the end of the week) will ameliorate that. I will experiment and report.

I totally agree that this headphone ought to please practically anyone, except for those who desire to buy more. Hi-Fi addiction is a real thing :) Speaking of which, I too lust after the Z1R... but there is just no way, unless I see a sudden financial windfall, that I'm going to drop over $1k on a pair of headphones. Or an amp to drive it.

I notice you have an XZ Premium! I had one as my main phone a while back - such beautiful device. And I use it now as a DAP in my living room. I actually used it over LDAC to do the testing on my MDR-1000X last night as well.
The Z7M2 is a very good inbetween on the Z7 and Z1R. To me the Z7M2 is much more balanced and pleasant to listen to. I own both right now and have had several sessions where I directly compare them. The Z7 requires me to adjust to it for about an hour before it sounds good. The Z7M2 immediately sounds amazing when switching from the Z7.

Dec 17, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #8,773 of 9,173
The Z7M2 is a very good inbetween on the Z7 and Z1R. To me the Z7M2 is much more balanced and pleasant to listen to. I own both right now and have had several sessions where I directly compare them. The Z7 requires me to adjust to it for about an hour before it sounds good. The Z7M2 immediately sounds amazing when switching from the Z7.

What sorts of adjustments do you make to the Z7, and with what goals in mind?

Dec 17, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #8,774 of 9,173
What sorts of adjustments do you make to the Z7, and with what goals in mind?
No I’m just saying my ears/brain needs time to adjust to the Z7 before it sounds good. When switching from a Z7M2 session, that is. But when switching from the Z7 to the Z7M2, I find the Z7M2 to immediately be a pleasant change in sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back