Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Dec 26, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #7,787 of 9,173
also, would u recommend something else?(as long its below 700$) i was thinking about the sony MDR-1000XC, but still cant choose...

Where are you located, 650 usd seems a very high price.
I cannot recommend any other can that I know over the Z7. And yes it is easy to drive even out of an iPhone.

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #7,788 of 9,173
Sweden, the MDR-1000XC is selling for 440$. i do travel alot so i kn that the 1000 xc might sound as a better option, im still not able to decide. sorry but i didnt get what you mean by driving out of an iphone, (i have samsung), by which you mean that the Z7 is able to connect to a mobile, or do i need to buy a portable cable? thx for ur help

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #7,789 of 9,173
The cable can be used for any 3.5mm outlet. But it is 3m long. That is why I got an aftermarket cable from Forzaaudioworks in Poland. By saying easy to drive, I mean it does not need additional amplification, it gets loud enough from your directly.

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #7,790 of 9,173
  im currently thinking about buying these, they are selling now for 650 usd. Ive spent like 4 days reading reviews about the Z7, many say that its the best but on the other hand i saw alot of comments saying that its now worth the money. Im really going crazy since i would like to buy these,but dont wanna throw away 650$ down the drain. Ive also read that somewhere that some people had the cable to be able to connect directly to ex phones, computers while others said that they didnt have 1 and needed to buy, like what?!!? im lost.....

Depends on the music you listen to and the sound signature you prefer. It's all very personal. If you like very comfortable headphones with lots of bass, the Z7s are fantastic. If you're more interested in accuracy and separation, there may be better choices.

The Z7 has amazing build quality.

I think my HD800S destroys the Z7 for jazz and classical.

I use the Z7 a lot more often.

The best choice on paper isn't always the most enjoyable thing to use.

It's also worth remembering that there will always be something better available five years from now, so get whatever is appealing now and then get something else later. If that philosophy is a financial concern, then money is probably better used on something other than headphones.

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #7,791 of 9,173
Depends on the music you listen to and the sound signature you prefer. It's all very personal. If you like very comfortable headphones with lots of bass, the Z7s are fantastic. If you're more interested in accuracy and separation, there may be better choices.

The Z7 has amazing build quality.

I think my HD800S destroys the Z7 for jazz and classical.

I use the Z7 a lot more often.

The best choice on paper isn't always the most enjoyable thing to use.

It's also worth remembering that there will always be something better available five years from now, so get whatever is appealing now and then get something else later. If that philosophy is a financial concern, then money is probably better used on something other than headphones.

The Z7 kicked the HD800 out of my collection. Same here, I did not use the HD800 very much so it had to go. And no the HD800 is not better suited for Jazz. I listen to Jazz more than 50%.

Dec 26, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #7,792 of 9,173
well that settles it then, btw the HD800, Z7 and MDR-1000XC apparentley Z7 is the best. i do listen to EDM, rap music so Z7 sounds the most appropriate. Im gonna place an order tommorrow, if someone thinks that there are any better ones, then plz do so b4 i buy the Z7. ur help is much appreciated 

Dec 26, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #7,793 of 9,173
well that settles it then, btw the HD800, Z7 and MDR-1000XC apparentley Z7 is the best. i do listen to EDM, rap music so Z7 sounds the most appropriate. Im gonna place an order tommorrow, if someone thinks that there are any better ones, then plz do so b4 i buy the Z7. ur help is much appreciated 

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #7,794 of 9,173

Good choice. I don't think you'd want an HD800 for rap or EDM. My HD800S are interesting for electronic music since they open everything up so much and have incredible detail, but they're missing all that huge low end that suits that kind of music so well.

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #7,795 of 9,173

Good choice. I don't think you'd want an HD800 for rap or EDM. My HD800S are interesting for electronic music since they open everything up so much and have incredible detail, but they're missing all that huge low end that suits that kind of music so well.

Isn't EDM/Hip Hop all about that sub bass magic? Only basshead cans can satisfy, and plus the great thing is basshead cans is cheap.
Keep that 800S for details/vocals w/e, but i have my doubts on its EDM abilities

As for these z7, wonder who will be brave and do open mod. Hey! No one would think people would've "opened" up a Denon 5k/7k , but its been done!

biggrin.gif

but those woodies with the hole, were sad pics to look at.

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #7,796 of 9,173
Nope, bass headphones don't need to be cheap. Z1R and th900 are both bass cannon. They are not cheap, and they don't have cheap bass.

So...cheap bass headphones will have cheap bass, and so for expensive bass headphones it doesnt have cheap bass

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #7,797 of 9,173
Nope, bass headphones don't need to be cheap. Z1R and th900 are both bass cannon. They are not cheap, and they don't have cheap bass.

So...cheap bass headphones will have cheap bass, and so for expensive bass headphones it doesnt have cheap bass

So what you're saying is that if I spend $2K on headphones I'll have $2K worth of bass. What if I spend $4K? How about $8K? Imagine the possibilities!

I learned so much from your post. Thanks!

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #7,798 of 9,173

You do have a point. I will agree lol

but SPL/SQ

lets say SPL can be cheap, mids and highs aside for certain genres

I'll take Z1R thanks.

But the Bass King atm is a $100-$150 SPL unless you can prove otherwise

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #7,799 of 9,173

You do have a point. I will agree lol

but SPL/SQ

lets say SPL can be cheap, mids and highs aside for certain genres

I'll take Z1R thanks.

But the Bass King atm is a $100-$150 SPL unless you can prove otherwise

My friend this is not The Extreme Bass Club.

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #7,800 of 9,173

My friend this is not The Extreme Bass Club.

The context of my comment was relating to EDM. Dance Music. Club Music. SPL type bass.

I am well aware of SQ vs SPL.

EDM/Club Music and Extreme Bass go hand in hand.

Please tell me otherwise your choices for EDM

*** For the individual asking about EDM*** the XB1K is EDM Dance KING, and let me tell you no headphone is plug and play for such genre. I had to open it up and mod, and amp , and EQ for years to get a club feel. Blood , sweat, and tears.

Anyone who says plug and play for such genres, i don't know.

The xb1k is a very flawed headphone, but for EDM its perfect. sz JVC for hip hop. I am no saying the z7 cannot play those genres, but not without work. Plug and play from iphone will never be best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back