Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jun 30, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #7,156 of 9,173
The sound of the MDR-Z's isn't as wide as my D5000s and especially my ATH-A900Xs, but it sure has more depth, with a 3D-ish surround effect.
And without ruining details, imaging and texture. I think Z7's imaging is almost at the same level as my BeoLab H6s, which are commonly recognized as headphones with excellent imaging.

Nice info bro.

The z7 is a good closed headphone.

How would you comment over the imaging and the separation of the z7 bro?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #7,157 of 9,173
I believe that the bump in the mids, along with resonance (improved but not totally gone after mods) makes the sound a bit boxy. Making their wide sound seem less wide. The extra space created with the mod behind the ear pads also helps expand it. However any of you can try this mod with your EQ. Play something with iTunes or Windows Media Player or any device with a 10 or so band EQ. Cut 1 khz 2-4 db if it's modded and if you have un-modded headphones, cut it 4, 6 even 8 db. The boxy resonance goes away and the sound seems wider due to your ability to hear the extra highs and lows in the wake of the midrange bump. Give that a try.

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #7,158 of 9,173
Nice info bro.

The z7 is a good closed headphone.

How would you comment over the imaging and the separation of the z7 bro?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Well, I am not going to convince you, because you already stated you didn't like Z7s imaging 
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know what your references are, I mean what other headphones have you heard when coming to the conclusion the Z7s aren't good at imaging?
My references are the headphones I currently own, by no means high-end or flagship material, but with those in mind I find the Z7s to be very good at soundstaging, instrument separation and imaging. They do this in an understated way, and I can see why some may find them muddy or not very clear, but everything is there: texture, details, presented in a somewhat soft and subdued way though.

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #7,159 of 9,173
Well, I am not going to convince you, because you already stated you didn't like Z7s imaging :)
I don't know what your references are, I mean what other headphones have you heard when coming to the conclusion the Z7s aren't good at imaging?
My references are the headphones I currently own, by no means high-end or flagship material, but with those in mind I find the Z7s to be very good at soundstaging, instrument separation and imaging. They do this in an understated way, and I can see why some may find them muddy or not very clear, but everything is there: texture, details, presented in a somewhat soft and subdued way though.

Thanks for the reminder bro.

I have compared it to my LCD x and T1 and He 500 and the He1000 ( listen at Starpicker store), hd650, hd800..

The z7 is quite muddy and seems bleed all the way..
But i did agree that all is there but not in their usual position..

Hmm..but with prolonged listening..i find out that the z7 have potential to be like due to it give more tolerance to hours of listening.

As a conclusions, i am still like my z7 with love and hate relationship.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #7,160 of 9,173

I have compared it to my LCD x and T1 and He 500 and the He1000 ( listen at Starpicker store), hd650, hd800..

Hmm..but with prolonged listening..i find out that the z7 have potential to be like due to it give more tolerance to hours of listening.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Love and hate relationship to Z7 is a common symptoms that....can be resolved by modifying :D

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #7,161 of 9,173

Cheers,
Jonathan

Love and hate relationship to Z7 is a common symptoms that....can be resolved by modifying :D
haha I knew you would come up with mods advertising

Jun 30, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #7,163 of 9,173
I was surprised by the Z7's soundstage & imaging as I just recently got my first decent closed phones,always had open. I received a pair of th-X00 a few weeks ago and the Z7 just this week. As of right now I prefer the Z7 over the X00 in just about every way. I think the X00 has the better bass, and more treble, a little too much treble sometimes.
I wish the Z7 had a little more treble and the X00 a little less, go figure !

Jun 30, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #7,164 of 9,173
Well I have been listening to these all week at work, quite a bit actually.  Playing a mix of files from 192kbps to 24 bit 48 kHz. The Z7 is the quintessential headphone; the look, the feel, the pads, the materials and build.  They are awesome.  The sound is very good.  I'm driving them with my NuForce Icon iDo.  The only problem I still have is the resonance described earlier on this page.  I've grown accustomed enough to them that now when I listen to my Denon MM400's that I used previously, they don't quite sound right.  And yet, the Z7 doesn't quite sound right sometimes either.  Perhaps I'm just getting a more discerning ear by listening to more and more headphones.

I think I'll probably keep them at this point.  May even consider mods for the first time.

Jul 1, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #7,166 of 9,173
Does the Z7 get loud enough with the Dragonfly Red? I have the Dragonfly Black and it's great for my IEM, but doesn't seem to have enough power for the Z7 so I still have to use my FiiO E12. I'm thinking about returning the Black and getting the Red but I've also been thinking about just returning the Black and sticking with the DAC built into my LG V10.

I wouldn't bother with those, if you have a V10. While I don't have the AQ duo, I have HRT's Microstreamer which is well compared to those, and I don't think it has anything on the V10's DAC/amp combo.

Jul 1, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #7,167 of 9,173
Haha..

I have finished mod my z7..

It really improve the staging and imaging with more tame and balanced bass..

Mild muddy is still there..
But the bass rumble is more controlled.

Hmmm..i only tested the dampening mod..
P/s: no silver cable and afraid of wiring it myself.

Thanks so much guys for the suggestion and help

Regards,
Jonathan

Jul 1, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #7,168 of 9,173
If I am really having a hard time adjusting to Z7's sound signature, after coming from the D5000s for instance, I can easily EQ them, which means adding some highs and that's it.
And EQ-ing works very well with the Z7s, I can almost get them to sound like the D5000s if I would like. Not gonna do that though :)

Jul 1, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #7,169 of 9,173
Awesome pair of the z7 ( dampening mod only) with dpx1 and mojo running 2.8mhz high precision DOP mode..

The sonic quality is warm with enough details and airy enough with improve separation and imaging and soundstage ( still smaller than k7xx)..

Interested to try kimber / moon audio silver cable and modified the internal jack wire connector to the speaker with silver cable 24awg.

Quite happy with the mods.

Cheers,
Jonatha

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #7,170 of 9,173
I loved my z7 with mojo but had to let mojo go in favor of acquiring something I have wanted for ages.
Still have the z7 though and for me that's saying something.

I will be doing some damping mods in the coming weeks when I have some time. Hope it sorts out my only quibbles with the z7, the mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back