Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Aug 26, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #5,776 of 9,173
Feel free and destroy the best headphone that you owned up till today. They sound so perfect with the stock cables and all the goodies that the Sony engineers developed to make them that good........Just saying....

:wink: thank you. Lol. It makes me wonder very very much that if upgraded cables can improve it so much....then why the drivers have to stick with those thin and not too well isolated ? When you look at that wires, the two are basically very thin of stranded copper with thin coating for insulation inside the Plastic shell.

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #5,777 of 9,173
I agree, but I am one of very few. Most here on Head-fi upgrade their cables or modd their phones to get the desired sound. Still I am wondering if those who modd will keep their modded pair, because they didn't truly love the headphones to begin with. It would't surprise me if it takes a short time before they decide to get another, superior pair, while the modded pair is collecting dust.

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #5,778 of 9,173
I agree, but I am one of very few. Most here on Head-fi upgrade their cables or modd their phones to get the desired sound. Still I am wondering if those who modd will keep their modded pair, because they didn't truly love the headphones to begin with. It would't surprise me if it takes a short time before they decide to get another, superior pair, while the modded pair is collecting dust.

It is an addictions .....:D. Anyways, even with recabling the inner drivers wires, it is reversible. The same for upgraded cables and so on :wink:. IMO, it is not that I don't like the HP to begin with, it is just that potentials once you hear it, you really want to improve it by any thing within your ability.

Beside, removable cables were meant to be upgradable :D. The question is....why didn't Sony use better cables for the drivers ? What would have changed if the drivers cable were to be of better quality ?

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #5,779 of 9,173
Now...why is there 6 soldering joins here at the back of the drivers ?

Is it the 2 in the "signal side" the same ? And the 2 on the "ground side" the same ?

Also, how dare do they say this one is even comparable to MDR-R10 ?....

Have you compared this with mdr-r10?

I already asked, because following the description of the sound and perception in here, seems very similar to the reviews that people did and keep doing of the mdr-10...

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #5,783 of 9,173
  I really don't like the sound of the Sony MDR-R10. Boomy mid bass, lacks subs, weird and dull highs. The MDR-1A is much better.

I'm guessing you're talking about these

Not these

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #5,785 of 9,173
MDR-R10 is a "Legendary status" of headphones. It is called the "king of headphones", and that is the one being in wood on the second picture there. They were made around 1985-87? and still carry a price tag of 10,000$ for a well cared and functional pair ! It is known that nowadays flagship headphones can not compete to it. Period.

MDR-10R I is different...

Anyways, I still don't know how Sony claims the Z7 is it descendent .....

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #5,786 of 9,173
MDR-R10 is a "Legendary status" of headphones. It is called the "king of headphones", and that is the one being in wood on the second picture there. They were made around 1985-87? and still carry a price tag of 10,000$ for a well cared and functional pair ! It is known that nowadays flagship headphones can not compete to it. Period.

MDR-10R I is different...

Anyways, I still don't know how Sony claims the Z7 is it descendent .....

Because sounds as good :)

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #5,788 of 9,173
Lol ? You are serious ?....

The DNA implies some of the same Sony engineers worked on the Qualia, R10, Z5 and Z7.  That's all....

I don't think anyone is expecting an R10 out of a Z7.  If that happened that would make a joke out of the R10s, considering the insanely high price when they launched....

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #5,789 of 9,173
The DNA implies some of the same Sony engineers worked on the Qualia, R10, Z5 and Z7.  That's all....

I don't think anyone is expecting an R10 out of a Z7.  If that happened that would make a joke out of the R10s, considering the insanely high price when they launched....

Yes! It was 2,500$ right ? Back then it was ways too crazy of a price. I can see that the Z7 carries on the Closed back HP style with the unusual wide and open soundstage....as far as sound quality wise. Please somebody tell something, where is Purk :D

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #5,790 of 9,173
Yes! It was 2,500$ right ? Back then it was ways too crazy of a price. I can see that the Z7 carries on the Closed back HP style with the unusual wide and open soundstage....as far as sound quality wise. Please somebody tell something, where is Purk :D

Well different materials different times, different market target...
I would like to know about the SOUND.
I have follow the 10R for years, readed all the reviewd and stuff around the net.
I am only saying that the description of the sound in those reviews is almost the same we talk around here...
But i would like to KNOW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back