Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
May 12, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #4,936 of 9,173
Thanks for the advice, I will try that!

May 12, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #4,937 of 9,173
Mine are out for delivery today. After reading through much of this thread, I am anxious to hear them in person. I bought them mostly to pair with my PHA 3 but I will also use them with my main stationary rig and with a second desktop setup. I also own (and love) Audeze LCD-X, LCD-2 and Sennheiser 600 headphones as well so I'll be able to made comparisons to those. I'm fine with headphones that have different sound signatures but some posters have expressed a variety of negative comments so we will see how it goes!

I'm still confused after all those mixed reviews you can read on the internet. Some  rave about the Z7 and praise them as true audiophile headphones whereas others write them off as mediocre. Would like to hear what you think. 

Since you asked, here are my very early initial impressions. I've got lots of listening and comparing to do, but I do see a distinct trend or two.

As others have said, these are well made and amazingly comfortable. The quality is as good or better than many other headphones that I've owned or had experience with. A definite 10 here and I don't think I'll change my opinion on this.

I've only used them with my PHA 3 so far for about five hours or so. They pair well (obviously I'm using the balanced cable) and the PHA 3 drives them very comfortably at the normal gain level. My Audeze LCD-X needed the gian boost to listen at similar levels. Now I love my Audeze but the Sony's are lighter and much more comfortable. Really, I almost forget I'm wearing them.

So, how do the sound? Well, that's a bit of a conundrum. Contrary to what others have said, my pair doesn't sound muddied and I don't sense any lack of clarity (mids, highs and lows are distinct). Unfortunately, they aren't as "consistent" as I'd like depending on what I'm listening to. For example Boz Skaggs "Dig" red book cd is just too bass heavy with the Sony's. On the other hand, the Eagles Studio Albums 1972-79 are literally perfect for my taste. Ditto for most female vocalists in my collection. Listening to Robin Thicke "Blurred Lines" is a good example of the bass issue. The separation, sounds, blending, etc are fantastic but unfortunately it feels like the bass is pounding a tattoo on my eardrums. The soundstage here feels like I'm in the middle of the action and I can almost feel Miley Cyrus twerking against my leg. I'd rather be in the fifth row.

I've got lots of comparing to do but, for the most part, I like the effect. Not exactly a ringing endorsement but I've got a ways to go before reaching any definitive conclusions, so...stay tuned!!

May 12, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #4,938 of 9,173
The soundstage here feels like I'm in the middle of the action and I can almost feel Miley Cyrus twerking against my leg. I'd rather be in the fifth row.

Seriously?  You rather "her" not rubbing your leg?

May 12, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #4,940 of 9,173
Focus, guys. 
biggrin.gif
deadhorse.gif

Can you compare the Z7 with the Sennheiser HD700? All this talk of the heavy bass puts me a bit off. But thanks for your first impressions. 

May 12, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #4,942 of 9,173

Seriously?  You rather "her" not rubbing your leg?

Seriously, that is one very sexy woman. I sure as hell would be staying in that row.

May 12, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #4,943 of 9,173
Since you asked, here are my very early initial impressions. I've got lots of listening and comparing to do, but I do see a distinct trend or two.

As others have said, these are well made and amazingly comfortable. The quality is as good or better than many other headphones that I've owned or had experience with. A definite 10 here and I don't think I'll change my opinion on this.

I've only used them with my PHA 3 so far for about five hours or so. They pair well (obviously I'm using the balanced cable) and the PHA 3 drives them very comfortably at the normal gain level. My Audeze LCD-X needed the gian boost to listen at similar levels. Now I love my Audeze but the Sony's are lighter and much more comfortable. Really, I almost forget I'm wearing them.

So, how do the sound? Well, that's a bit of a conundrum. Contrary to what others have said, my pair doesn't sound muddied and I don't sense any lack of clarity (mids, highs and lows are distinct). Unfortunately, they aren't as "consistent" as I'd like depending on what I'm listening to. For example Boz Skaggs "Dig" red book cd is just too bass heavy with the Sony's. On the other hand, the Eagles Studio Albums 1972-79 are literally perfect for my taste. Ditto for most female vocalists in my collection. Listening to Robin Thicke "Blurred Lines" is a good example of the bass issue. The separation, sounds, blending, etc are fantastic but unfortunately it feels like the bass is pounding a tattoo on my eardrums. The soundstage here feels like I'm in the middle of the action and I can almost feel Miley Cyrus twerking against my leg. I'd rather be in the fifth row.

I've got lots of comparing to do but, for the most part, I like the effect. Not exactly a ringing endorsement but I've got a ways to go before reaching any definitive conclusions, so...stay tuned!!

You are not describing the headphone being inconsistent, that is technically impossible. The only thing that changes is the source being fed to the Z7 and that is exactly what you would expect. Bass thin masters will sound much plumper and likely pleasant, no need to EQ. Bass heavy tracks will sound boomy to one degree or another, and of course this is somewhat subjective. For the boom, do what I suggested above, if you have JRiver (or any program with a parametric EQ) you can enable and defeat the EQ setting as needed with one check box. It isn't ideal, but no one headphone design will manage to be ideal with various styles of mastering. Some might be closer and not require an EQ, but perhaps that sound signature will have other trade-offs?

May 12, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #4,944 of 9,173
Focus, guys. :D :deadhorse:

Can you compare the Z7 with the Sennheiser HD700? Alls this talk of the heavy bass puts me a bit off. But thanks for your first impressions. 

Well, to be clear, many other headphones are a bit "thin" in the area of bass and I include my Audeze LCD-X in that category. The fact that I have identified a couple of songs/albums that I perceive as bass heavy is very preliminary. It may mean other headphones are bass light. I'm going to purchase two XLR converter cables to compare the LCD-X with the Z7 using my Schit mjolnir/Gugnir stack. I can plug my Audeze into the four pin balanced XLR and the Sony's into the dual three pin XLR's and quickly switch back and forth between them for a very accurate comparison because I can play both headphones at the same time and therefore be listening to the same music. I'll also compare the Sony's to my Sennheiser 600's.

May 12, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #4,945 of 9,173

You are not describing the headphone being inconsistent, that is technically impossible. The only thing that changes is the source being fed to the Z7 and that is exactly what you would expect. Bass thin masters will sound much plumper and likely pleasant, no need to EQ. Bass heavy tracks will sound boomy to one degree or another, and of course this is somewhat subjective. For the boom, do what I suggested above, if you have JRiver (or any program with a parametric EQ) you can enable and defeat the EQ setting as needed with one check box. It isn't ideal, but no one headphone design will manage to be ideal with various styles of mastering. Some might be closer and not require an EQ, but perhaps that sound signature will have other trade-offs?

We are saying the same thing. I certainly plan to play with EQ; my initial impressions are just that--five hours of random listening on the PHA 3. I am most interested in a flat EQ comparison initially because that (at least to me) offers the best apples to apples comparison of the test group.

May 12, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #4,946 of 9,173
We are saying the same thing. I certainly plan to play with EQ; my initial impressions are just that--five hours of random listening on the PHA 3. I am most interested in a flat EQ comparison initially because that (at least to me) offers the best apples to apples comparison of the test group.

Cool, sorry if it sounded like I was implying you didn't realize this. Do you have access to a parametric EQ?

May 12, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #4,947 of 9,173

Cool, sorry if it sounded like I was implying you didn't realize this. Do you have access to a parametric EQ?

Hey, no problem! I'll get into EQ comparisons a little further down the road.

May 12, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #4,948 of 9,173

Great first impression.  I can see how the bass seems heavy-handed to you but I really think it's just right.  I'm sure a bass-head would probably find it too thin.  I like that you mentioned how light they are because that seems like an engineering miracle.  Those damn giant drivers should make these big-ass headphones weigh a ton but they don't.  I'm with you on the Eagles. Just fantastic!  Petty's Full Moon Fever is actually my demo album for the Z7's (the 2015 hi-res remastered version).  Have fun comparing and get back to us with your thoughts.

May 12, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #4,949 of 9,173

Great first impression.  I can see how the bass seems heavy-handed to you but I really think it's just right.  I'm sure a bass-head would probably find it too thin.  I like that you mentioned how light they are because that seems like an engineering miracle.  Those damn giant drivers should make these big-ass headphones weigh a ton but they don't.  I'm with you on the Eagles. Just fantastic!  Petty's Full Moon Fever is actually my demo album for the Z7's (the 2015 hi-res remastered version).  Have fun comparing and get back to us with your thoughts.

Try playing more bass intensive music and you should quickly see that the bass is not just right, it is indeed boomy. Now while what we enjoy is subjective, objectively speaking the Z7 does have some bass congestion and it most certainly benefits from some cuts in various bass frequencies. Yes, as stated, before with bass shy masters like the Tom Petty album would seem to be by todays standards, the Z7 actually plumps it up. Try some Deadmau5 and see how the bass quickly becomes a little messy.

May 12, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #4,950 of 9,173

I totally agree with you. 

However, if you have oily skin, your skin oil gets on the earpad which concerns me. (Because I do!)

I really should write some impressions and etc like you. 

It has been about three - four month since I have used Z7 and I haven't had any moment where I didn't like them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back