Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jan 31, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #4,156 of 9,173

After seeing so many rigs like this here on head-fi, I can finally post a picture of mine (Just a little bit of a Sony fanboy)! Kind of forgot that the PHA-3 is supposed to be used to drive something like the Z7 on the go, as I've just been using it on my desk with my PC for night time music listening and gaming. Not sure if I like the idea of bringing this along with the Z7 attached to it with me to work to use on the bus though...

If you have the cash to replace it on the spot, then maybe.

I use a older mp3 walkman and a dinky Fiio E7 amp with my MDR-V6 for on the go simply because of the cost of my A15 + PHA-1 and Z7.

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #4,157 of 9,173
Finally had time to listen to my z7 from the UK AMAZON deal of £339 (yes the box was sealed as was the cables and instructions)

I fired up a few of prince's tracks from the early days (in 192khz) and wow, "kiss" sounded like it had surround effects I've not noticed before.

I've been listening for the past month on my 7520's and so far these z7 have excelled them easy!

When I get time I will compair them to my sa5000.

Been using a15 walkman, gonna get a pha3 soon from Japan tho

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #4,158 of 9,173

Wow listening to what purk said seems that your mods are worth to try, is it the same mod that you post back then or any other change?

maybe you could share the latest mods later on after getting your unit back.

There have been many many more substantial changes since then. But it's very tedious and complicated.

I may not write up a guide this time, since I won't have the time to dissect everything and putting it all together, plus there won't be many who can perform the whole thing through.

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #4,159 of 9,173
Finally had time to listen to my z7 from the UK AMAZON deal of £339 (yes the box was sealed as was the cables and instructions)

I fired up a few of prince's tracks from the early days (in 192khz) and wow, "kiss" sounded like it had surround effects I've not noticed before.

I've been listening for the past month on my 7520's and so far these z7 have excelled them easy!

When I get time I will compair them to my sa5000.

Been using a15 walkman, gonna get a pha3 soon from Japan tho

Can you do a thorough comparison between the 7520's and the Z7 ?
Elaborating the differences in sound signature, bass quantities/texture/impact/mid bass hump, mids lushness/recession, treble extension, instruments separation.
I am on the fence about giving them a try but so far from various impressions it seemed that the z7 have inferior bass qualities against the tighter bass of the 7520 and other minor upgrades being very similar overall thus not justify an upgrade.

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #4,160 of 9,173
  Can you do a thorough comparison between the 7520's and the Z7 ?
Elaborating the differences in sound signature, bass quantities/texture/impact/mid bass hump, mids lushness/recession, treble extension, instruments separation.
I am on the fence about giving them a try but so far from various impressions it seemed that the z7 have inferior bass qualities against the tighter bass of the 7520 and other minor upgrades being very similar overall thus not justify an upgrade.

Oh my gosh, been wanting to know the answer to this one as well from someone who had both as the Z7 look appealing but have had quite mixed reviews on here so to hear a direct comparison against the underated 7520's would be like gold dust and especially if the recent price drops are a sign of things to come on the Z7 would be tempting. 

I want to know if the Z7's handle those busy complex passages of say rock music better and if the treble does not sound lean when under heavy loading as well as every thing  ForceMajeures mentions there.  

Come on RandomJahhile, put us out of a misery! Hoping the Z7's could bridge the gap longer until the day I can go for the likes of the Grado PS1000 price bracket to pair with my Hugo, ZX1 combo or until Sony finally surprise us with their first £1K+ line cans in god knows how long!

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #4,161 of 9,173
Ive just been trying to break these in today with loads of video streaming (bbc/YT)

But I'll compare them to my 7520s properly soon, but I'm just wanting to break them in 1st as I've had the 7520s for nearly 4years.

But currently for me I've felt that the bass is better than 7520s as is the ear cup comfort/length of wearing.

But that could just be my hot ears, but ever since I've had the 7520s, I can't take extended listening sessions like I could on sa5000 (naturally as open vs closed)

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #4,162 of 9,173
Ive just been trying to break these in today with loads of video streaming (bbc/YT)

But I'll compare them to my 7520s properly soon, but I'm just wanting to break them in 1st as I've had the 7520s for nearly 4years.

But currently for me I've felt that the bass is better than 7520s as is the ear cup comfort/length of wearing.

But that could just be my hot ears, but ever since I've had the 7520s, I can't take extended listening sessions like I could on sa5000 (naturally as open vs closed)

Look forward to soon then.  Had mine two years which replaced the hot top end EU Z1000 version of the 7520's.  had my 7520's modded with custom cable going to both cups directly which made a difference and more surprisingly changing the stock pads over to the Beyer velour pads (originally changed as grille touching the ears) made a significant difference for the better in comfort & sound (thank god after the hassle of fitting them). 

But luckily the Z7 has had the sense to do away with the one sided jack design and the pads look like the best design for fit they have done in a while.  

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #4,163 of 9,173
Very early first impressions are good, but I have noticed the headphones don't really come to life until a certain volume level is reached and that level is more than I like to listen at. Maybe some more break in required? That 70mm drive unit is pretty big! 

So is the consensus that a Silver cable is a good degree better than the Sony Kimber?

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #4,164 of 9,173
Very early first impressions are good, but I have noticed the headphones don't really come to life until a certain volume level is reached and that level is more than I like to listen at. Maybe some more break in required? That 70mm drive unit is pretty big! 

So is the consensus that a Silver cable is a good degree better than the Sony Kimber?

I find a 100-200 hour burn in and getting the Kimber cable helps bring everything more forward, thus not requiring the need to turn it up for an engaging listening experience.

Also you need a good amp as well. What are you pairing the Z7 with?

dL

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #4,165 of 9,173
I find a 100-200 hour burn in and getting the Kimber cable helps bring everything more forward, thus not requiring the need to turn it up for an engaging listening experience.

Also you need a good amp as well. What are you pairing the Z7 with?

dL

Right now a Schiit Audio Asgard 2, I have a Marantz HD-DAC1 on the way though.  Asgard 2 will move to a dedicated SACD system

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #4,166 of 9,173
A quick rough test and I feel that's it's not entirely flat, I haven't seen any graphs but it has spikes at

80-250hz

800-1.5khz

2.5-3.5khz

6khz

7.5-8khz

11-12khz

But this is probably just to my ears :p

They are so comfortable, I could ware them for 4hours at a time with out a break, something that's hard for me to do with the 7520's

As the drivers are so big, I've felt that a lot of instruments in songs have room to breathe.

As in normally when your listening to all the different track/layers, it's like they have position/space on the driver to come out more.

Especially all the, normally, lowish end effects.

I hope in the future that they make a open version with the same or better driver (magnesium, beryllium)

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #4,167 of 9,173
How does the MDR-Z7 sound when paired with the iFi Micro iDSD (both DAC/AMP function)?

Thank you in advance.

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #4,168 of 9,173
A quick rough test and I feel that's it's not entirely flat, I haven't seen any graphs but it has spikes at

80-250hz

800-1.5khz

2.5-3.5khz

6khz

7.5-8khz

11-12khz

But this is probably just to my ears
tongue.gif

They are so comfortable, I could ware them for 4hours at a time with out a break, something that's hard for me to do with the 7520's

As the drivers are so big, I've felt that a lot of instruments in songs have room to breathe.

As in normally when your listening to all the different track/layers, it's like they have position/space on the driver to come out more.

Especially all the, normally, lowish end effects.

I hope in the future that they make a open version with the same or better driver (magnesium, beryllium)

Thank you, waiting for your full impressions with the 7520.

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #4,169 of 9,173
These headphones are amazing! Can't wait for the HD-DAC1(may have a PHA-3 on the way soon also) to get here! They are so dynamic and powerful sounding while sounding layered and transparent all at the same time...

Listening to the Tron Legacy Soundtrack by Daft Punk

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #4,170 of 9,173
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Listening to the Tron Legacy Soundtrack by Daft Punk

Some seriously deep (if a little fuzzy) bass on that one. 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back