Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
May 1, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #5,251 of 5,804
The catch(s) with the Z5 are:

1) it sounds mediocre without enough power. And it seems to like balanced power. Ie, it sounds just OK directly from my Chord Hugo, but spectacular from balanced sources.

2) its ergonomics are not great. It is bulky and heavy, and prone to slipping out of your ear. It is Transportable, but not really portable.

IMHO, you will need to purchase an aftermarket cable to get the best from it, let alone to make it more comfortable and keep it securely in your ears.

I loved the bass of the EX800ST when tape modded. But ultimately I removed it because it because the bass bled into the midrange. Note that the 800 distorts/bottoms out with bass that the Z5 easily handles - and I don't even consider myself a bass head.

I can't really say where the Z5 stands compared to higher end competition. I have an M7, which has more midrange clarity, but a smaller soundstage and less of that subwoofer feeling. But I like the Z5 better than my Sennheiser HD650 - which I assumed was my perfect sound.

As for the HD650 specifically, the Z5 is still different. It is hard to compare them since they are different form factor products. But the Soundstage size is pretty even. Sonic signature is similar, with similar midrange emphasis, but slightly different voicing. Z5 bass is superior, and it generally allows you to hear deeper into the music, since it is an iem. It also isolates better for office use.

Both are very fatigue free - I can crank the volume up way higher than any other IEM/headphone and hear more detail than I would otherwise expect.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #5,252 of 5,804
Glad to see the z5 thread is alive and kicking. I will never part with my set, but for those looking for something different but similar, here are some ChiFi options that might come close to what you are looking for. I have NOT heard any of these, but from talking with many people that have, or read about them, I think these are worth checking out:

Fiio FH7 (FH9 should be out this year)
iBasso IT04
Thieaudio Legacy 3 (or Legacy 9)
ISN H40
Shozy Form 1.4

If you're looking for a good cable for the z5. I highly recommend this one, fits great: https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-c4.html

May 4, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #5,253 of 5,804
Does anyone EQ the Z5 and if so what sort of EQ do they implement? I find the Mids slightly recessed in relation to the treble and bass and the lower midrange a bit overpowering but this not be confused with bleeding into because when theres no bass for example its very clear. Unfortunately the Sony NW-ZX507 is not a great match, something about the lower midrange and it lacking resolve.

The Z5 is one of the few IEMs or headphones that I can listen to without EQing. But I think it does improve a bit with some EQ; I bump up the highest frequencies a few DB and 1000/2000 hz a few DB. I then shelve 100/200 hz down a few DB. This reduces bass bleed/increases apparent bass speed and midrange detail without changing the the Z5 character much.

May 5, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #5,254 of 5,804
Glad to see the z5 thread is alive and kicking. I will never part with my set, but for those looking for something different but similar, here are some ChiFi options that might come close to what you are looking for. I have NOT heard any of these, but from talking with many people that have, or read about them, I think these are worth checking out:

Fiio FH7 (FH9 should be out this year)
iBasso IT04
Thieaudio Legacy 3 (or Legacy 9)
ISN H40
Shozy Form 1.4

If you're looking for a good cable for the z5. I highly recommend this one, fits great: https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-c4.html

Dude, from the list of IEMs you possess, it seems we have similar tastes since I also have the Z5 and JVC woodies. How does the planar IEM compare to the Z5s and the FX1100?

May 8, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #5,255 of 5,804
I am likewise pleasantly surprised to see this thread still active. I've owned mine since they became somewhat available in the States. I rarely use my portable gear any more as my life has changed significantly the past few years (all my stuff is from the era of the Z5 being released - AK120ii / Vorzuge Pure II / ALO Reference 8 mini cable). However, every once in a while, I pull my stack and Z5 from closet storage even if to only use on a walk or sitting on the back deck. Makes me feel nostalgic.

May 8, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #5,256 of 5,804
So I got the Shouer Tapes and they are damn good. Just bought the Z 5's again and will go aide by side running 3.5 on my G8, with plans to rebuy the Fiio M 11 next month. Will post next week on my comparison. I've been using the Blon 03, but the Tape is better imo. With EQ, it can get big bass without distorting.

May 8, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #5,257 of 5,804
So I got the Shouer Tapes and they are damn good. Just bought the Z 5's again and will go aide by side running 3.5 on my G8, with plans to rebuy the Fiio M 11 next month. Will post next week on my comparison. I've been using the Blon 03, but the Tape is better imo. With EQ, it can get big bass without distorting.

You know the drill - be sure to run the Z5 balanced...

May 8, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #5,258 of 5,804
Can't. Don't have a balanced source right now.

May 8, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #5,259 of 5,804
Can't. Don't have a balanced source right now.

If you can put up with a VERY clunky UX, this $60 DAC has enough power to make the Z5 sing; E1DA PowerDAC.

Note that it only has a 2.5mm Balanced output though.

May 9, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #5,261 of 5,804
Curious to know what tips everyone’s using? Today I did some tip rolling which I haven’t really done before with the Z5. Previously using the stock silicon L size. Today I tried spinfits, comply foams, spiral dots and final E’s.

Nothing really worked so I went back to the stocks, but tried some different sizes. Popped on some size S and got a deeper insertion and holy schiit, now they sound amazing! Like lifting a massive veil. Clearly I haven’t been getting the right fit with the L tips!

May 9, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #5,262 of 5,804
I prefer medium Final E with the Z5. I think the stock tips really compromise the sound.

As for playing the Z5, ill grab the M11 again next month. M G8 has the DAC feature and sounds great. Compared a lot. M11 beats it, but stuff like dragonfly doesn't.

May 10, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #5,263 of 5,804
how’s Z5 fare against higher end chifi oriented iems market nowadays?
is it worth it to get it now?

May 10, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #5,264 of 5,804
Curious to know what tips everyone’s using? Today I did some tip rolling which I haven’t really done before with the Z5. Previously using the stock silicon L size. Today I tried spinfits, comply foams, spiral dots and final E’s.

Nothing really worked so I went back to the stocks, but tried some different sizes. Popped on some size S and got a deeper insertion and holy schiit, now they sound amazing! Like lifting a massive veil. Clearly I haven’t been getting the right fit with the L tips!

Cool, you went down in size and obtained a different sound. :)

The included tips are the greatest as far as I’m concerned.

May 10, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #5,265 of 5,804
how’s Z5 fare against higher end chifi oriented iems market nowadays?
is it worth it to get it now?

I do compare the XBA-Z5 running balanced against stuff in my signature, like the Fearless S6Rui and BGVP DM6......I end up going back and forth. There is no doubt that other Chi-Fi purchases can get a slightly more detailed and forward midrange thus some excitement at times? It’s hard to really do an objective evaluation as the Z5 does things in a way better fashion than the Chi-Fi I’ve heard (at times). The Z5 is more cohesive and natural. IMO

Also too, it would be kind of a brain training exercise to basically put the brighter IEMs away and learn to slowly adapt to the Z5 being well powered with a good source. It’s definitely still a value at $399 regardless of the extra footwork you have to do post purchase.

Like the post above states.......you need an aftermarket balanced cable and a good amp. It still is a cluster-f””k getting fit. But smooth amazing entertainment await.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back