Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Nov 10, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #4,772 of 5,804
Does anyone know if there's any kind of remedy if one side starts cutting out because of what I can only assume is because I'd often change out the cable between the regular and the balanced kimber cables and the connection is now loose? Is it a goner?

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #4,773 of 5,804
Does anyone know if there's any kind of remedy if one side starts cutting out because of what I can only assume is because I'd often change out the cable between the regular and the balanced and the connection is now loose? Is it a goner?
Time to buy the IER-Z1R :D

Nov 10, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #4,776 of 5,804
Exactly they are so expensive, let's wait for two years nad see some price dropping

How much will they possibly drop? It's been a while since Z5's were released and the cheapest I saw them online today was $479.99

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #4,777 of 5,804
Does anyone know if there's any kind of remedy if one side starts cutting out because of what I can only assume is because I'd often change out the cable between the regular and the balanced kimber cables and the connection is now loose? Is it a goner?

Try this. If you look closely at the Sony connector, It not one solid piece. It's compose of 4 separate 1/4 circle segments. The bottom protruding ring is the part the cause the loose connections as after many removals and insertions, it tends to get compressed a bit. All you need is to use a fine tweezers or a sharp razor blade and inset it between segments and ply it out a bit.

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #4,778 of 5,804
Be very careful, I broke mine trying to spread them out. Love my Z5 and hate that I have 600 dollars of rubble...

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #4,779 of 5,804

I haven't tried it. I bought a secondhand pair with an occasional drop out on the left side - I just put some tape around the cable connector to make a tighter fit and it seems to have fixed the problem for me

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #4,780 of 5,804
Try this. If you look closely at the Sony connector, It not one solid piece. It's compose of 4 separate 1/4 circle segments. The bottom protruding ring is the part the cause the loose connections as after many removals and insertions, it tends to get compressed a bit. All you need is to use a fine tweezers or a sharp razor blade and inset it between segments and ply it out a bit.

Thank you, I'll take a look

Nov 11, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #4,781 of 5,804

Which side is the one that is functioning perfectly? I may be interested in purchasing it!

Nov 11, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #4,782 of 5,804
My z5's left side wobbles more than the rigt side, luckily i haven't swapped cables that much since i got my 4.4mm no cable swap so far

Nov 12, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #4,784 of 5,804
Never seen Z5 in the flesh. Is it not possible to open the them up and fix the problem?
I remember seeing pictures, maybe here, of the result of someone trying to open them up - it wasn't pretty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back