Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jan 9, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #3,841 of 5,804
  Anyone bought the Z5 at Tesento.com?

In my eagerness to checkout the Z5, this time I didn't do proper due diligence and actually ordered before checking out their reviews. And whoa, were those scary... I'm now sure that "3-4 days" delivery time is probably fiction.

I got mine from AccessoryJack as well my WM1A

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #3,842 of 5,804
  Hi guys,

I just traded in my XBA-A3 with Amazon and got the XBA-Z5 for $499.99. However, I just have a small question, I just wanted to be safe in the future if the cable gone bad because of the connector issues. The question is, where can I find the MUC-M12SM1? I tried looking online and they are only available with ~4 sellers on Amazon for $190+ !!!

I am worried in the future if anything happened to the cable then I will be screwed or have to pay $200 for a cable which is insane!

Where can I find them for cheaper?

As a side note, for some reason, when I listen to them on my PC, which have the Creative Sound Blaster ZxR sound card, the bass is just a lot. However, when I listen to them through my LG V20 with it's Quad DAC, it sounded amazing! Shouldnt my $200 sound card on the PC sound better or equivalent to the LG V20?

Thank you!

ZxR sound be upgraded with op-amp replacement (more clean, airy), especially with descrete op-amp.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728124/asus-stx-ii-vs-creative-zxr
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623079/creative-sound-blaster-new-series-z-zx-zxr

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #3,843 of 5,804
  Hi guys,

I just traded in my XBA-A3 with Amazon and got the XBA-Z5 for $499.99. However, I just have a small question, I just wanted to be safe in the future if the cable gone bad because of the connector issues. The question is, where can I find the MUC-M12SM1? I tried looking online and they are only available with ~4 sellers on Amazon for $190+ !!!

I am worried in the future if anything happened to the cable then I will be screwed or have to pay $200 for a cable which is insane!

Where can I find them for cheaper?

As a side note, for some reason, when I listen to them on my PC, which have the Creative Sound Blaster ZxR sound card, the bass is just a lot. However, when I listen to them through my LG V20 with it's Quad DAC, it sounded amazing! Shouldnt my $200 sound card on the PC sound better or equivalent to the LG V20?

Thank you!

The last time I checked with the local Sony Store on the MUC-M12SM1 when I was still having my XBA-Z5, I managed to purchase the last set and the store mentioned that it is an outdated model and Sony no longer produces them. What is available in the market are old stocks and if you can find one, good to grab it.

The new replacement model does not come with the unique connection protector.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #3,844 of 5,804
  Alright, I just ordered it.

What got me where all the comments about an airy, holographic sense of space, close to full-size cans (taking into account the size limitations of course).
Build quality is also interesting, plus they're hard to find now, so combined with the build quality, perhaps there's a bit of "collector's item" feeling to it.

A bit afraid of what I'll get tho, let's hope I don't find them too dark and with an overwhelming bass. I usually don't listen to very bass-heavy music, so it should be reasonably fine.
With some luck, they'll be good enough to get rid of the Shure SE846, while different, I don't think I'll end up using both often to justify cost.

The XBA-Z5 is a very nice sounding IEM, probably one of the best at its price range. There are always better IEMs but at a much higher costs.

Only 2 issues I had when I was having my Z5:
1) tricky to get a good fit due to the unique design of the dynamic driver protruding - rubbing my ears, thus can't wear for long period
2) Can only listen in quiet room - isolation is terrible and can't enjoy the sound quality even when commuting on metro or buses - worse if you try it on flight!

On a flight, the Bose H3 ANC sound much better than Z5, which is also a IEM with Dynamic Driver (benefit from noise cancelling). 

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #3,845 of 5,804
The XBA-Z5 is a very nice sounding IEM, probably one of the best at its price range. There are always better IEMs but at a much higher costs.

Only 2 issues I had when I was having my Z5:
1) tricky to get a good fit due to the unique design of the dynamic driver protruding - rubbing my ears, thus can't wear for long period
2) Can only listen in quiet room - isolation is terrible and can't enjoy the sound quality even when commuting on metro or buses - worse if you try it on flight!

On a flight, the Bose H3 ANC sound much better than Z5, which is also a IEM with Dynamic Driver (benefit from noise cancelling). 

The shape is curious and I see how it can be inconvenient sometimes. Even good tips won't help if the case rubs on the ears. But this probably doesn't happen to everyone,maybe I'll be ear-lucky.

My use case for the Z5 (or anything similar) is using them at work. That's a lot of hours at the office, so comfort is important. Being able yo quickly put them on/take off is useful too (I see they will fail this one, but so do the SE846)

Noise isolation might not be important to me;there's that background noise common in offices (people talking, computers, etc) but nothing too extreme, it can probably be muted enough by the Z5.

While traveling I have the MDR-1000X, and at home I always use full size cans, so it's really office only.

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #3,846 of 5,804
The shape is curious and I see how it can be inconvenient sometimes. Even good tips won't help if the case rubs on the ears. But this probably doesn't happen to everyone,maybe I'll be ear-lucky.

My use case for the Z5 (or anything similar) is using them at work. That's a lot of hours at the office, so comfort is important. Being able yo quickly put them on/take off is useful too (I see they will fail this one, but so do the SE846)

Noise isolation might not be important to me;there's that background noise common in offices (people talking, computers, etc) but nothing too extreme, it can probably be muted enough by the Z5.

While traveling I have the MDR-1000X, and at home I always use full size cans, so it's really office only.

It depends on your expectation in terms of noise isolation when using in office. Most IEMs are fine and loud enough to cover up office noise, but once the background noise is there, it distracts listening and takes away the advantage of this IEM in terms of sound quality. I did enjoy it in my office during early hours as it was quiet in my workplace in early morning. If your office is not extreme, you could probably pump up the volume a bit to cover the noise.

As for the comfort, it depends on your ears. I found the standard cable with memory wire creating discomfort for me, and changing to the upgrade cable without memory wire helped a bit.

I am sure you will like the sound from it though. Enjoy!

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #3,848 of 5,804
Having a slight attack of buyer's remorse on the Z5 order. Been reading more and the EX1000 also seems quite interesting. I liked a few details about having a bigger soundstage and a somewhat grainier, treble-rich sound (which can be fatiguing but I kinda like sometimes). It's also about 100 cheaper (380e vs 480e).

The shop looks quite shady tho, so my odds of doing the switch and getting the difference are probably zero. In fact, I'll be happy if I get the Z5 instead of nothing
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #3,849 of 5,804
  Having a slight attack of buyer's remorse on the Z5 order. Been reading more and the EX1000 also seems quite interesting. I liked a few details about having a bigger soundstage and a somewhat grainier, treble-rich sound (which can be fatiguing but I kinda like sometimes). It's also about 100 cheaper (380e vs 480e).

The shop looks quite shady tho, so my odds of doing the switch and getting the difference are probably zero. In fact, I'll be happy if I get the Z5 instead of nothing
biggrin.gif

I like my Z5, not grainy at all, they pair well with my WM1A big soundstage

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #3,850 of 5,804
If anyone wants the original balanced cable MUC-M20BL1 I'm selling one in mint condition in the "For Sale" forum. Thanks!

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #3,851 of 5,804

biggrin.gif

To put your mind slightly at ease, my EX1000 sat in a drawer since the day I bought my Z5s. They may be slightly more analytical and dry (not that I have golden ears to be able to notice this), but I find the Z5 to have the more pleasing sound signature in virtually every genre of music I have listened to. I sold my EX1000 recently and while they were great, I prefer my Z5 to them 9 times out of 10. The 1 of 10 times I may prefer the EX1000, I've probably had too much to drink 
beerchug.gif

What tips are you guys using on these? I've got spiral dots on them now, but may go back to the Sony tips because I think I'm losing a bit of treble off the top end. 

-Collin-

Jan 12, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #3,852 of 5,804

To put your mind slightly at ease, my EX1000 sat in a drawer since the day I bought my Z5s. They may be slightly more analytical and dry (not that I have golden ears to be able to notice this), but I find the Z5 to have the more pleasing sound signature in virtually every genre of music I have listened to.

Interesting that you had both and preferred the Z5. How would you compare them in terms of soundstage/air/sense of space? And brightness?

What tips are you guys using on these? I've got spiral dots on them now, but may go back to the Sony tips because I think I'm losing a bit of treble off the top end. 

I'm also curious to know.

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #3,853 of 5,804

Interesting that you had both and preferred the Z5. How would you compare them in terms of soundstage/air/sense of space? And brightness?

I'm also curious to know.

I suppose the EX1000 was a bit more "airy," but again I strongly prefer the sound signature of the Z5. Maybe I'm a typical consumer that likes v-shape :)

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back