Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Mar 4, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #2,912 of 5,805
Thanks rlukash, your reply more or less confirm my decision. Do you wear them straight down or over the war? And did swapping the cables cause your pair to develop the loose connector issue that seems to be plaguing the Z5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #2,914 of 5,805
I am using z5 with A2 cable and have not noticed any changes to sound quality. The fit is awesome as z5 is more comfortable than H3s and A3 and stay in the ear better.

I recommend the Sony MUC-M12SM1 High Performance Upgrade Cable if you do not like the ear guides.

There is no difference between the A2 and Z5 cable therefore no sound quality difference. The upgrade cable will give you better dynamics and sound quality overall.

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #2,915 of 5,805
Thanks again rlukash! I thought I've found the perfect IEM, but this loose connector issue is making them less than perfect.... I hope Sony keeps the sound signature for the next one but with improved build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #2,916 of 5,805
I never had any any connection issues with any of my Sony iems simply because I never removed the cable.

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #2,917 of 5,805
Finally bit the bullet and got the Z5!

@cuiter23, I thought the Z5 stock cable is a Litz cable whereas the A2 one is not?

@jmills8, thanks for the advise. The swapping of the cables would the my last resort if I still can't get the memory wire to sit nicely with my glasses on after a couple of days.

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #2,918 of 5,805
  Finally bit the bullet and got the Z5!

@cuiter23, I thought the Z5 stock cable is a Litz cable whereas the A2 one is not?

@jmills8, thanks for the advise. The swapping of the cables would the my last resort if I still can't get the memory wire to sit nicely with my glasses on after a couple of days.

The A2 is litz cable... The exact same one. The MUC-M12SM1 is a star-quad design. 8 to 4 braid. The regular cables (A2 and Z5) are 4 to 2 braid.

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #2,921 of 5,805
@cuiter23 thanks for the clarification! Sony website wasn't very clear about the cable configurations. I'll probably get the MUC-M12SM1 if the memory wire is still bugging me.

@Meth are you based in Singapore? Let me know where you buy your MUC-M12SM1 after you got yours. Don't think I saw them in the 2 official Sony Stores I went to.

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #2,922 of 5,805
  @cuiter23 thanks for the clarification! Sony website wasn't very clear about the cable configurations. I'll probably get the MUC-M12SM1 if the memory wire is still bugging me.

@Meth are you based in Singapore? Let me know where you buy your MUC-M12SM1 after you got yours. Don't think I saw them in the 2 official Sony Stores I went to.

​I got mine on amazon US from a seller called japanese lady

Mar 6, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #2,924 of 5,805
@cuiter23
 thanks for the clarification! Sony website wasn't very clear about the cable configurations. I'll probably get the MUC-M12SM1 if the memory wire is still bugging me.

@Meth
 are you based in Singapore? Let me know where you buy your MUC-M12SM1 after you got yours. Don't think I saw them in the 2 official Sony Stores I went to.

You can't get them from Sony Singapore for sure. Sent my MUC M121 for replacement (the wire leading to the audio in jack has loosen). They came back and told me they no longer have it in stock, are not bringing in new one as it is discontinued and have no replacement model coming up.

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #2,925 of 5,805
I wear them over ears. Prevents them from pulling it down. Comfy too. 

That's cool, thanks for the photo @pwncake it really helps without having to visualize how it's worn. I'm currently pairing my Z5 with a local custom-made cable, the sound quality that the wire produce is amazing but the fit doesn't always stay in (my ears doesn't generate enough friction for it to hold in because of the cold environment and they slip off easily).

Yeah I am. I believe it's discontinued in local Singapore Sony store. There's actually a lot of places you can get them but the easiest way to get them and the store I'd recommend would be ConnectIT, It's retailing at $139SGD. http://www.connect-it.com.sg/muc-m12sm.html

Oh yeah, and about the loose connector you mentioned, it's an easy fix. Just tug a 0.2cm by 0.2cm paper at the side of the termination, it should stay in. That's how I keep the right termination from wobbling. I've made sure this doesn't affect the sound quality, or does any damage to the iem so It should be fine.

@Zexius Is the cable still with you? I could get someone to check it up, they provide services to fix it if you require. If not you can try contacting Stereo Electronics, they also provide services for fixing electronic parts.

Anyways, for those residing in Singapore who's looking for custom-made cable for your XBA A3/Z5 or other detachable iem, you might want to check out SgAudioHive. They makes really good custom-cables, with a good quote and service. http://websta.xyz/sgaudiohive

XBA-Z5 w/ Red-Pink 133 Stranded Litz Copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back