Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Dec 7, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #2,671 of 5,804
I am keeping for now. It will all depend on whether I find my self only wanting to use the M4U4 or not.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #2,672 of 5,804
Z5 has great isolation especially the green tips and I can't hear anything from outside.
I guess Sony iems are hit or miss in terms of isolation for some
Ok isolation is wayyyy better than the Z5 and quite a bit above average, approaching almost Shure levels of isolation for me. I can hardly hear the announcements on the train and the train noise is almost completely gone as well.

Sonic wise these have amazing dynamics allowing them to be delicate and yet powerful as each song requires with an effortless quality I have not heard for quite a while. The last IEM I owned that had the same effortless quality was the MDR-7550 which similarly was a balanced IEM. But the M4U4 goes deeper and a bit higher than the 7550 so improves on that IEM sonically plus has the added isolation, a more manageable cable, easier ergonomics, 2 quality cables, a case... I will stop as I think my is made :).

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #2,673 of 5,804
I am a low volume listener as a rule plus lots of my music is very delicate and quiet at points so isolation is more noticeable as is wind. I would say the M4U4 is possibly 40 maybe 50% more isolating and has no wind noise issues. Wind is a big thing for me because I live in an environment where wind can gust up to 60km/r regularly and is almost always 5-10km/hr.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #2,674 of 5,804
Ok isolation is wayyyy better than the Z5 and quite a bit above average, approaching almost Shure levels of isolation for me. I can hardly hear the announcements on the train and the train noise is almost completely gone as well.

Sonic wise these have amazing dynamics allowing them to be delicate and yet powerful as each song requires with an effortless quality I have not heard for quite a while. The last IEM I owned that had the same effortless quality was the MDR-7550 which similarly was a balanced IEM. But the M4U4 goes deeper and a bit higher than the 7550 so improves on that IEM sonically plus has the added isolation, a more manageable cable, easier ergonomics, 2 quality cables, a case... I will stop as I think my is made
smily_headphones1.gif

The Z5 (as well as the A3) noise isolation is average at best for me as well. What annoys me is the wind noise when I am walking around.

Surprised how the PSB is stacking up to the Z5 which costs over twice as much. Really tells you price isn't everything eh?

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #2,675 of 5,804
The M4U4 is not the same though as it's bass is definitely politer and the midrange is much more balanced between upper and lower areas. So if a person love the Z5 signature without reservation then the M4U4 might not cut the mustard. But if you ever find yourself wishing for the changes I mentioned the M4U4 definitely sounds as good (in a different way) as the Z5 and the added benefits of no wind, high isolation and less than 1/2 the cost make for a compelling argument...

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #2,676 of 5,804
The M4U4 is not the same though as it's bass is definitely politer and the midrange is much more balanced between upper and lower areas. So if a person love the Z5 signature without reservation then the M4U4 might not cut the mustard. But if you ever find yourself wishing for the changes I mentioned the M4U4 definitely sounds as good (in a different way) as the Z5 and the added benefits of no wind, high isolation and less than 1/2 the cost make for a compelling argument...

I don't recall ever walking with my xba-h3 (i havent had the change with XBA-A3) during winds of 20-30 km/h gusts

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #2,677 of 5,804
Its nice to have four good iems, four different flavors.

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #2,678 of 5,804
I think I will be in agreement with that sentiment jmills8. I love this new sound but I already miss the Z5 at times so having variety will probably good :)

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #2,679 of 5,804
OK after a little taste of the Z5 love. I have to say I think I will just enjoy both IEMs :)

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #2,680 of 5,804
One day I want a pizza but then later on I want Lobster. The following day a Burger will do but I might eat some leftover pizza.

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #2,681 of 5,804
Exactly :)

Dec 8, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #2,682 of 5,804
Came here to make a confession: I'm deeply in love with these IEMs. I own several high-end IEMs, including 2 custom IEMs, and I have to say that I prefer the Z5 over all of them. I must admit though that I apply a little EQ to them (mainly to tame their -IMO- wild mid bass hump); their signature might not be the most neutral one, but when it comes to presentation, imaging, positioning and detail retrieving, the Z5 is unmatched (not even my custom Mentor can get close to it). 

Of course this corresponds to my subjective appreciation, so take it with a grain of salt. 

Good listening, fellow head-fiers :)

Dec 8, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #2,683 of 5,804
Came here to make a confession: I'm deeply in love with these IEMs. I own several high-end IEMs, including 2 custom IEMs, and I have to say that I prefer the Z5 over all of them. I must admit though that I apply a little EQ to them (mainly to tame their -IMO- wild mid bass hump); their signature might not be the most neutral one, but when it comes to presentation, imaging, positioning and detail retrieving, the Z5 is unmatched (not even my custom Mentor can get close to it). 

Of course this corresponds to my subjective appreciation, so take it with a grain of salt. 

Good listening, fellow head-fiers :)
I listen to most of my music portably and none of my portable devices EQ worth a darn which is why I ended up buying the M4U4 to give me the reduced bass as an option. The Z5 is still the best IEM I have owned for imaging and sound stage though and I still love their BIG sound.

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #2,684 of 5,804
If you make a custom tip for your Z5 it will provide better isolation and fit.

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #2,685 of 5,804
I can't handle custom tips in my ears so just use the standard hybrid tips which offer me the best comfort. But I use one large in my left ear and a medium in my right ear if that counts as custom :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back