Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jul 26, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #2,056 of 5,804
What are best tips for A3/Z5?

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #2,057 of 5,804
  What are best tips for A3/Z5?

I've used and tried so many and still go back to the sony hybrids. Isolation is not the best but sounds the best to me. Too bad you can't buy them by themselves .. I even tried to get them in japan and ring Sony Australia but they don't have them.

I got sony ones with the foam inside the silicon from Japan while I was in tokyo (top in picture) and they are not the same as the ones you get packaged with the H3, A3 or Z5. They also sound and feel slightly different. The foam is much denser in the packaged set. 
If anyone knows here I can buy the dense foam ones individually .. give me a buzz.

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #2,058 of 5,804
  I've used and tried so many and still go back to the sony hybrids. Isolation is not the best but sounds the best to me. Too bad you can't buy them by themselves .. I even tried to get them in japan and ring Sony Australia but they don't have them.

I got sony ones with the foam inside the silicon from Japan while I was in tokyo (top in picture) and they are not the same as the ones you get packaged with the H3, A3 or Z5. They also sound and feel slightly different. The foam is much denser in the packaged set. 
If anyone knows here I can buy the dense foam ones individually .. give me a buzz.

In Hong Kong Sony shop I can buy a pair at a time.

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #2,059 of 5,804
oh no way! I went to the sony shop in HK too! but just didn't think to look there .. next time.

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #2,061 of 5,804
Hybrids are all I use as well, I have tried UE, JVC spiral dot, and others but alway come back to the hybrids. They are the most comfortable and shape the sound the best for my ears.

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #2,062 of 5,804
Have you guys tried spinfit tips with z5/a3?

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #2,063 of 5,804
Here's my impression on the Sony XBA-Z5.

I own currently Sony MDR-EX1000, XBA-Z5, PHA-3, MUC-M20BL1 balanced cable and also Sennheiser HD800 and Audio Technica W1000X for reference.

I'm very surprised or almost horrified how most people here seem to use XBA-Z5 connected to mobile phone. Let me tell you that I dislike the sound when connected to Samsung S5 or Tab S. The bass is too overpowering and somewhat muddy. Not sure if this is because DAC or poor amplification. But it is a totally different story when connected to PHA-3. The bass seems to calm down a lot in my opinion. Also treble is more noticeable compared to direct mobile phone connection. Still the bass is constantly more alive and powerful compared to EX1000. Actually it sounds totally different in every aspect and cannot really compare. I'm not trying to get you to buy PHA-3 I'm just saying that if you use or try the headphones with mobile phone you can get quite a bad impression. Therefore I really recommend using dedicated DAC and Amp. 

The sound signature is clearly different compared to EX1000. The sound is more complex, more bassy and generally more messy somewhat, because there is so much going on. Sound is so complex due to great separation of instruments, clear separation of stereo channels and very wide sound-stage. Both headphones sound brilliant. The main difference is that in the songs or genres where EX1000 did not shine the Z5 sounds great. Rock music, dance music, modern pop music and generally bass heavy music sounds better with Z5. For some reason songs from heavy metal band Children of Bodom brings goosebumps it just sounds so good with constant sub-bass and overall powerful sound. I think the bass somewhat overshadows the sound signature of Z5, because it really is very noticeable but at the same time treble extends high up. The treble seems at times as 'hot' and super detailed as with EX1000 when using PHA-3, but the great thing is listening to Z5 never seems to become fatiguing or boring. For me Z5's are very enjoyable earbuds to listen to. It is perfect for wide range of music genres. 

FYI Sony store in KLCC Kuala Lumpur has all top of the line audio products you can demo. E.g. Z2 music player connected to PHA-3 and Z7 headphones with Kimber upgrade cable. However the environment is quite noisy. Also I believe all or most Jaben stores in Asia allow to demo their goods. Never been to any of the stores myself though but planning to visit soon.

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #2,064 of 5,804
LN - I enjoy the Z5 especially amped. I have been listening to COB a lot also Slipknot, Lanb Of God. Great bass, great everything now I got rid of JH23 K10 and other IEMS. I also listen to Synth and Old Rock and the Z5 is epic. I like the Z5 I went and bought the XBA A3 which has a V shape sound and then I bought the XB 90EX which has no BA drivers and the earpiece pushes the sub bass deeper.

Jul 29, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #2,067 of 5,804
The sound does open up with use but I am not sure the hrs needed. In my case a month of daily use.

Thanks - whats your daily average usage in hours ? So I can work out if a month is enough for me,

Cheers

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #2,069 of 5,804

Quote:
60 hrs in a month. Even after burn in an amp us very helpful.

Thanks - Have  Sony PHA-3 on route, currently have - bakoon hpa-01m and Portaphile Micro OPA627BP , VorzAMP pure II - so will test also - when i get time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back