Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Mar 6, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #1,186 of 5,804

Upgrade in terms of ergonomics or sound as well? It better be an upgrade for the price they are charing lol. Wonder if its possible to get a kimber cable for the Z5?

Both! Hard to say exactly how much of a sound upgrade there is but the increased clarity was easily noticeable to me. Not sure about kimber for the z5 but I'd assume any MMCX cable should work. Sony did collaborate with them on a few cables but unfortunately the one's for z5 weren't part of it: http://www.sony.com/SCA/company-news/press-releases/sony-electronics/2014/sony-expands-hi-resolution-audio-line-with-three-n.shtml 

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #1,187 of 5,804

Moon Audio makes a MMCX-terminated cable with lots of amplifier termination options, including the for the PHA-3. It's sold on the Moon site as if it is strictly for Shure IEMs, but I would inquire with them if there is any reason why it wouldn't be appropriate for the Z5:

http://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-cable-shure-earphones-v1.html

I am using this exact cable with my Shure's into a PHA-3 and they are excellent.

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #1,188 of 5,804
Sony has a specific MMCX connector case with grooves on the earphone side and flanges on the connector side.
You can try just standard MMCX but it will be a very tight joint - will be difficult to disconnect them after...

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #1,189 of 5,804
  Sony has a specific MMCX connector case with grooves on the earphone side and flanges on the connector side.
You can try just standard MMCX but it will be a very tight joint - will be difficult to disconnect them after...

Are those grooves not part of the mmcx specification? I think @dweaver is using some third party cables with android control on his z5, so it would seem there's some non-sony options out there but I'm not positive.

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #1,190 of 5,804

Are those grooves not part of the mmcx specification?

Yes, they are on Sony side. So you need the connector to match them like on a picture in my post above

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #1,192 of 5,804

Are those grooves not part of the mmcx specification? I think @dweaver is using some third party cables with android control on his z5, so it would seem there's some non-sony options out there but I'm not positive.

Its more the fact that the ear pieces will rotate easily with non stock cables because third party cables won't have the bits that keep the ear pieces from swiveling around. 

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #1,193 of 5,804
  so what is the best/cheapest option for a z5 with a dap like the ak120 via trrs? An adaptor on the dual mono cable provided? 

All AK series have a very weak amp section. Z5 do require good amplification to get maximum performance out of them

I tried the H3 directly out of the AK120 - poor performance - needs an amp

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #1,194 of 5,804
My cable has generic MMCX connectors, so it fits but does not get locked in. I have bought some Sony connectors and am going to pay a friend to change my cable for me. Hopefully this will help ensure in don't have another connection failure. But I do know other people just use the generic MMCX cables as well.

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #1,195 of 5,804
  All AK series have a very weak amp section. Z5 do require good amplification to get maximum performance out of them

I tried the H3 directly out of the AK120 - poor performance - needs an amp

Hey I see you use the PHA 3 .... how do you find the battery life and long recharging affects your enjoyment of it? 

Mar 7, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #1,196 of 5,804
:shrug:  I use an AK120ii & I find its amp powers the Z5 just fine (though admittedly, I do use the 120ii's lineout to a Vorzuge Pure II amp 90% of the time; I am admittedly very biased towards the Pure II, however).

I continue to be amazed at how versatile the Z5's are for me.  I do not listen to classical, but they play so nicely & impressively for all of my electronic (various sub genres), jazz & progressive rock/metal.  I was prepared to pay A LOT more for IEMs; I am so glad I decided to get the Z5 basically on a whim.

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #1,197 of 5,804

Hey I see you use the PHA 3 .... how do you find the battery life and long recharging affects your enjoyment of it? 

Well, I need it to be portable for 40 minutes in the morning (walking from home to parking then from another parking to the office by metro) and 40 minutes on my way back home in the evening.
So the battery life does not really affects my enjoyment. I use a 2.4 A wall charger which charges it for 6 h from the empty battery. Since I use the battery for 1,5 - 2 hours a day I continue using it as a static DAC/AMP with my PC at home and it's charging while I listen to the music, so I don't really see how it gets full again, and I can leave it connected to power source and pick it up in the morning.

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #1,200 of 5,804
Spent some good time with the Z5 tonight and I must agree with the recent comments about these great IEM, the spacial characteristics are amazing, great sound direct from the NWZ-A17 as well as the Marantz HD-DAC1!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back