Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Dec 25, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #661 of 5,804
I'm in hong kong at the moment and finally got to try out the A3, Z5, Z7 and the 1A. 
I only had about 1/2 hr with all of them as shops here are so busy and noisy during holiday season.
I used my iphone6 with C5D to test ...
The Z5 is really bassy .. i was a bit disappointed that vocals got lost in that and didn't feel that airy. I need more time to try again cos I really want one. love the look and build.
The A3 clarity was excellent and vocals are more forward and It's definitely better then my H3 in that regard. everything sounded nice to how I like it .. but already have and love the H3, I'm not sure if I need another so similar.
Z7 ... I found these quite impressive .. the bass! that tight fast impactful bass is amazing and it sounds large. everything is big and sounds quite grand .. I like how solid everything sounds on these. Found the clamping a bit much for longer listening though.
1A sounds similar and really really comfortable and I think I could where them all day.. just less refined over all but also really nice. great fun signature with good vocals and felt quite airy.

I really want to get 1 or 2 of these while I'm here ... and also going to tokyo next week .. not sure if prices are cheaper here or there. On first thought I like the  Z7 ... but the Z5 just looks amazing but I dont' want to force myself to like it. Will go for another listen tomorrow. Also on the list is the shure 1540 but haven't found one on demo yet.

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #662 of 5,804
Wow I own both Z7 and Z5 and I would say the Z7 has a bit more bass than the Z5 and the Z5 is a bit more detailed which is kinda opposite to your experience. I wonder if the sources being used affected the sonic signature a bit or if your surroundings started to impact your listening session.

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #663 of 5,804
I'd like to hear more comparisons of the z5 with higher end iems, ciems and headphones.

I'm interested in the z5's detail resolution and the timbre reproduction. Also, how is the treble extension (FR charts aren't accurate at either end)?

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #664 of 5,804
  The Z5 is really bassy .. i was a bit disappointed that vocals got lost in that and didn't feel that airy. I need more time to try again cos I really want one. love the look and build.

I guess they are right from the box...

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #666 of 5,804
  I guess they are right from the box...

The Z5 is really bassy .. i was a bit disappointed that vocals got lost in that and didn't feel that airy.

The same happened to my XBA-H3 too bassy at first but now they sound soo good, almost like MDR-1R but not that close tough

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #669 of 5,804
The foam tips are also not nearly as comfortable in my experience.

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #670 of 5,804
Anyone try pairing a Z5 with AK120ii or AK240? Shopping for a new DAP, think I'm set on the 120ii. Just wondering if anyone had impressions or managed to pair them in balanced mode?

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #671 of 5,804
Just wondering if anyone had impressions or managed to pair them in balanced mode?

Yes, with PHA-3, balanced mode only - perfect.
wink.gif

to my eyes it gives:
better instrument/channel separation
bass - more weighty and detailed  

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #672 of 5,804
When budget allows I am going to buy a Pono and then I will be able to what these are like in balanced mode.

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #673 of 5,804
Anyone try pairing a Z5 with AK120ii or AK240? Shopping for a new DAP, think I'm set on the 120ii. Just wondering if anyone had impressions or managed to pair them in balanced mode?

I gave serious consideration to the AK240 to pair with my Z5 and ultimately ended up with a Cowon P1. While the balanced mode was one the things that drew me to the AK240, I just couldn't get past spending another $1,500 on a DAP to gain this feature. After over a week of listening to the Z5 through the P1 I'm more than satisfied with the combo. The Z5 provide a quality soundstage across many types of music which has been a pleasant surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back