Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Nov 25, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #5,656 of 5,804
So after a long year of vacillating between different IEMs...

FiiO FD3
FiiO FD5
Hyla CE-5
Moondrop Blessing 2: Dusk
Moondrop Variations
Sony IER-M9
Tanchjim Hana 2021
ThieAudio Clairvoyance
UM 3DT
UM MEST

...and selling the Z5 twice... I've come full circle and re-purchased them, and as happy as I ever was. We're nearing the end of 2021, and there still isn't anything quite like them in their price range. May we never part again.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #5,657 of 5,804
Are you using balanced? The Z5 seems to need the extra power to clean up the mid bass and bring out that massive soundstage. Also try using a smaller tip with a deeper insertion. I noticed a big improvement after changing tip size :)

Can't overstate enough the importance of finding the right sized tip--in my experience, sizing down on the stock Sony Hybrids improved the sound tremendously too. I've rolled a coterie of narrow and wide bore tips (Acoustune AET07, AET08, Azla Sedna, ePro EP00, Final E, SpinFit CP100 and CP100+, Spiral Dot, Symbio W and Peel) and found the small-sized Sony Hybrids to offer the best combination of tonality and technicalities.

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #5,658 of 5,804
Except for the problem of wearing, its sound is not outdated even in today---after seven years later. The Z5 is absolutely a classial existence.
1637894971089.jpeg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 24, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #5,660 of 5,804
I’ve had my hands on the Unique Melody MEXT for a couple weeks. Just wanted to draw similarities with the Z5. They both have a similar presentation. Impactful and wide soundstage. There is a holographic presentation on the MEXT similar to the Z5. Although the MEXT is more detailed as you would expect costing hundreds of dollars more but they’re not that far apart. I would give the MEXT an audition if you want to build on the Z5 and go more in that direction. It has great resolution and imaging without being analytical.

May 24, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #5,663 of 5,804
In my opinion, Sony XBA-Z5 are unique, that's why I recently took them into my collection, but the Z5 requires at least 1 watt of power.

The z5 scales decently but it's not power hungry

May 27, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #5,664 of 5,804
In my opinion, Sony XBA-Z5 are unique, that's why I recently took them into my collection, but the Z5 requires at least 1 watt of power.

At what scale are you looking at the 1w? I would be highly doubtful it would be at 32ohm.

I do know what you mean, my MDR-EX1000 are rated at 200mw/32ohm maximum handling, and they do sound at their best when driven hard, but it’s more about power reserve in the amplifier, than raw volume - maybe that’s your meaning?

May 27, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #5,665 of 5,804
At what scale are you looking at the 1w? I would be highly doubtful it would be at 32ohm.

I do know what you mean, my MDR-EX1000 are rated at 200mw/32ohm maximum handling, and they do sound at their best when driven hard, but it’s more about power reserve in the amplifier, than raw volume - maybe that’s your meaning?
If the Sony XBA-Z5 lacks power, then the sound becomes dark, the bass is soft, medium and high frequencies are pushed into the background. With good amplification, the bass becomes fast and deep, and the middle and high frequencies become clear and expressive. Volume and realism are added. Of all my sources, Sony XBA-Z5 are fully revealed only with A&ultima SP2000SS (1.1 W/32Ω) and CEntrance HiFi-M8 V2 (1.6W/75Ω).

May 27, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #5,666 of 5,804
They also sound great with lots of current which you can get with Class A amps.

On a separate note I realised a few weeks ago I’ve been wearing the Z5 all wrong for years. I started wearing them with a shallow fit and they sound much much better. Soundstage was immediately wider, the mids more cohesive, the bass tighter and no longer borderline boomy and the treble much smoother. Shallow fit is the way to go for me. I’ve always thought a deeper fit with iems is always better but I’ve completely changed my mind now.

May 28, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #5,667 of 5,804
If the Sony XBA-Z5 lacks power, then the sound becomes dark, the bass is soft, medium and high frequencies are pushed into the background. With good amplification, the bass becomes fast and deep, and the middle and high frequencies become clear and expressive. Volume and realism are added. Of all my sources, Sony XBA-Z5 are fully revealed only with A&ultima SP2000SS (1.1 W/32Ω) and CEntrance HiFi-M8 V2 (1.6W/75Ω).
a DMP-Z1 may being the z5 into another level i think (class AB Amo anf 1.5W ibto 16-ohm)

May 30, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #5,668 of 5,804
Can I get advice for fitment? I tried the Z5 Comply foam tips and not only was the sound muddled but there was so much pressure in my ear canals, I couldn’t use them for more than 10-15 min.

I tried silicone tips and they seem to fit better but after about 1 hour of listening, I found that they left my ear canal in pain. Luckily they sound so much better.

I don’t have small ear canals by any means so there must be something I’m doing wrong.

Are they supposed to be shallow fitment like above poster mentioned?

Did they fix these fitment issues with the IER-Z1R?

May 30, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #5,669 of 5,804
Can I get advice for fitment? I tried the Z5 Comply foam tips and not only was the sound muddled but there was so much pressure in my ear canals, I couldn’t use them for more than 10-15 min.

I tried silicone tips and they seem to fit better but after about 1 hour of listening, I found that they left my ear canal in pain. Luckily they sound so much better.

I don’t have small ear canals by any means so there must be something I’m doing wrong.

Are they supposed to be shallow fitment like above poster mentioned?

Did they fix these fitment issues with the IER-Z1R?
I mentioned this a couple posts ago. Try a shallow fit. It should still fill the entirety of the opening of your ear canal but only as far as it covers it. I don’t think the Z5 sounds good with a deep fit otherwise I agree with your sound observations. Try shallow and give it a chance.

Jun 12, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #5,670 of 5,804
Curious if anyone tried these with utws5? I know the hookup is weird but I always found these easy to drive. Wondering I'd they could work as a solid tws option. Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back