Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jun 16, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #5,626 of 5,804
On the question of saving up for the Z1R, I'd say if you can afford it, go for it. The Z1R is a tremendous experience and needs to be heard to be believed.
from reviews i've heard of it absolutely if it can beat my MDR Z1R then I'd probably just love it to bits.
So N3 isn't always a clear winner, aight, I can't really find the N3 for that cheap here, but used Z5 does go around for 250 or so, so maybe, if I really have to. as the sound of my A3 really is unique enough that I don't want to not have an option to have something like it. Z5 seems to be a good bet.
I do run my A3 balanced with my Shanling M3, it's just that, for more power with my Topping DX7s, balanced that has like 20 outZ so yeah not really IEM friendly.
So maybe I just haven't heard the true capabilities of the A3 yet, I do plan to procure either an WM1A or a Tazzy in the future but that's more way off plan compared to the IER Z1R.

Jun 27, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #5,628 of 5,804
No, I didn’t do that. I assume it’s an acid? But you would have to be carful of the air vent. Maybe a polish too? Just found that photo on-line.

Jun 27, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #5,629 of 5,804
No, I didn’t do that. I assume it’s an acid? But you would have to be carful of the air vent. Maybe a polish too? Just found that photo on-line.

Ah! Dang it. Thanks anyhow, sir.

Jul 12, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #5,630 of 5,804
Jul 12, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #5,631 of 5,804
Wow, I didn’t realize it was a person on this thread who did it!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sonys-new-2014-flagship-iem-xba-z5.733404/post-13785542

Oh god, I even liked the original post. Time to find an appropriate polishing cloth...

Also, I was literally just re-reading this thread out of pure sentimentality...

I have found the Z5 to be VERY tip dependant - both in terms of fit and sonics. Ie, if I change tips, I have to create an entirely different EQ profile. Don't discount their effect on the Z5.

Eg, Azla Xelastec tips keep the Z5 securely in my ear better than any other tip, but they bloat the bass horribly - and bleed it into the mids.

These things are high maintenance, but worth it; you may have to churn through a half dozen to dozen different tips to find the right combination. Be patient!

Can concur on the tip-sensitivity of the Z5.

I recently received the ePro EP00 horn tips that have been gaining quite a bit of attention recently, and these are now the best tips I've found for the Z5 by a wide margin, and a big step up technically compared to the stock Sony Hybrid. Significantly greater staging capabilities, separation, transparency, and overall clarity.

Other tips I've tried so far: Acoustune AET07, Acoustune AET08, Azla Sedna Regular and Light, Final E, SpinFit CP100, SpinFit CP100+, Symbio Peel, Symbio W.

Jul 12, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #5,632 of 5,804
One thing we know is reducing the lower midrange fog due to how all encompassing the N3 low end is resulted in a simply clearer IEM sound. IMO Wide bore tips add to the N3 quality, yet trying to get wide or medium bore tips to help the Z5 never seemed to work. It seems there was a hidden grain in one of the XBA-Z5 BA drivers which normally slept with Sony Hybrid tips. IMO

Btw Moose, I noticed the same thing about the 'grain' with larger-bored tips on the Z5, and that only seemed to disappear with very narrow bore tips like the stock Sony Hybrid or Final E.

Oddly enough though, the ePro EP00 horn tips which are wide bore are incredibly clean-sounding, with a vastly different sound profile to the Azla Sedna, which are also wide bores.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #5,633 of 5,804
Btw Moose, I noticed the same thing about the 'grain' with larger-bored tips on the Z5, and that only seemed to disappear with very narrow bore tips like the stock Sony Hybrid or Final E.

Oddly enough though, the ePro EP00 horn tips which are wide bore are incredibly clean-sounding, with a vastly different sound profile to the Azla Sedna, which are also wide bores.
Yes, it’s probably the last thing you would think the Z5 would become? But also that is fascinating that you found wide bore tips that enhance the midrange without introducing that grain?

Jul 12, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #5,634 of 5,804
Yes, it’s probably the last thing you would think the Z5 would become? But also that is fascinating that you found wide bore tips that enhance the midrange without introducing that grain?

I was actually kind of expecting the ePro horns would sound somewhat similar to the Azla Sedna given their bore size. On the other hand, I have also found in my experiments with tip-rolling that there aren't necessarily any hard-and-fast rules with regards to bore size, e.g. wide bore = more treble, narrow bore = more bass. Two good examples are the SpinFit CP100 (narrow bore) which tends to increase treble and decrease bass, and the Spiral Dot which, rather unusually, have the effect of decreasing both bass and treble, but enhancing midrange presence.

So I suspect that even slight variations in the shape and structure of tips and material density result in even greater differences to their sonic properties than one might expect.

Jul 12, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #5,635 of 5,804
I was actually kind of expecting the ePro horns would sound somewhat similar to the Azla Sedna given their bore size. On the other hand, I have also found in my experiments with tip-rolling that there aren't necessarily any hard-and-fast rules with regards to bore size, e.g. wide bore = more treble, narrow bore = more bass. Two good examples are the SpinFit CP100 (narrow bore) which tends to increase treble and decrease bass, and the Spiral Dot which, rather unusually, have the effect of decreasing both bass and treble, but enhancing midrange presence.

So I suspect that even slight variations in the shape and structure of tips and material density result in even greater differences to their sonic properties than one might expect.
Every tip is it’s own thing I guess. Tips do more to change the Z5 than cables, in my (limited) testing. Not all IEMs have that (unknown) grain in the midrange. Sony did a great job masking it over with Sony Hybrids, still there is room for tip improvement? IMO Especially if you desire more midrange. Also source seems to be a (surprising) way of changing the sound signature of the Z5. I’m not talking EQ, but if people want to do that, I don’t judge. But firmware changes were the big “thing” besides tips which seemed to bring the best out of the Z5. IMO To this day the XBA-Z5 remains unique in many regards, never replicated in production. IMO

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #5,636 of 5,804
2AAB7657-FCDC-41CD-9316-56C2BF94927E.jpeg

Jul 15, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #5,638 of 5,804
I’m now in “J” region set-up with Midnight as a change from Midnight Plus. It seems to be more mid-centric? Also Midnight consumes 25% less battery power than Midnight Plus. Do you use any custom FWs?

The tips also amazingly fit the fitting markers embedded in the nozzle of the XBA-Z5!
I like your setup moose, it's sony through and through (from tips to source) and my absolute favourite. I even bought the z1r to get those clear hybrid tips :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #5,639 of 5,804
I’m now in “J” region set-up with Midnight as a change from Midnight Plus. It seems to be more mid-centric? Also Midnight consumes 25% less battery power than Midnight Plus. Do you use any custom FWs?
I also have the J region but with dmp-FE classic fw. I did not try the new dawn & midnight fw yet as I am very happy with the FE and was too lazy to do the "upgrade" to the newer versions. But I may also try those one day. Do you think they are technically better or just tuned differently?

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #5,640 of 5,804
I also have the J region but with dmp-FE classic fw. I did not try the new dawn & midnight fw yet as I am very happy with the FE and was too lazy to do the "upgrade" to the newer versions. But I may also try those one day. Do you think they are technically better or just tuned differently?
Midnight Plus totally burns battery life? But other than that they seem like an improvement. But when you first try them (maybe) the contrast from what you were listening to makes them seem like a big deal? Then you settle down and it seems like daily life with which ever you use. If they sound like what you would want. If they sound off, that's a different story. Since awhile.....they have all sounded good to me. I guess you don't know if they matter unless you try them yourself? At times Midnight Plus sounded slightly dark, so you can revert (to regular "Midnight") by not having the on switch up. So with both of the new ones they play both versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back