Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Aug 14, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #4,951 of 5,804
Well, I will see if I can check them out in October. You going?

RMAF is in like 3 weeks. Weekend after labor day. Just didn't want you to miss it :D

Aug 14, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #4,952 of 5,804
I had not even looked at dates yet. Thanks, man. I'll get my tickets.

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #4,953 of 5,804
So, after a few more days, I sent the N3 back. It's a good backup pair, and not far behind the Z5, but I ultimately didn't need it, so I let it go. I would rank it above the Ex800, but below the Z5.

The Z5 is just a beast. I have owned UE 900, T04, Fearless s8F, RHA CL2, Aurisonics 2.5, KPE, DM6, EX800, Final E 5000, and the Z5 puts them all to shame. I don't know why people bother. The CL2 and S8F are especially overrated. S8F just have a treble spike for their incredible "detail" and cannot handle fast technical music well at wall. The CL2 are even worse, and maybe it's because I am not used to planar bass, but the bass hit on those sounded like a floppy speaker. No body at all. Aurisonics were the best runner up, but they didn't have the detail retrieval of the z5. My only beef with Z5 is isolation could be better and comfort could be better. Wondering what an actual upgrade could be to these that maintaints the same massive bass and super wide stage. Solaris maybe? At 3 times the price though, that doesn't strike as a great deal.

Aug 19, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #4,954 of 5,804
So, after a few more days, I sent the N3 back. It's a good backup pair, and not far behind the Z5, but I ultimately didn't need it, so I let it go. I would rank it above the Ex800, but below the Z5.

The Z5 is just a beast. I have owned UE 900, T04, Fearless s8F, RHA CL2, Aurisonics 2.5, KPE, DM6, EX800, Final E 5000, and the Z5 puts them all to shame. I don't know why people bother. The CL2 and S8F are especially overrated. S8F just have a treble spike for their incredible "detail" and cannot handle fast technical music well at wall. The CL2 are even worse, and maybe it's because I am not used to planar bass, but the bass hit on those sounded like a floppy speaker. No body at all. Aurisonics were the best runner up, but they didn't have the detail retrieval of the z5. My only beef with Z5 is isolation could be better and comfort could be better. Wondering what an actual upgrade could be to these that maintaints the same massive bass and super wide stage. Solaris maybe? At 3 times the price though, that doesn't strike as a great deal.

I agree. If you do not need something more portable, comfortable, and isolating than the Z5, the N3 is very nice, especially with EQ, but it does not have that large soundstage and powerful bass like the Z5. I find it to be a little more open and energetic than the Z5 and I like vocals better on the N3, but they have fairly similar signatures and it can be somewhat repetitive to own both.

From what I have seen, it seems the only true upgrade with a similar signature to the Z5 is the Z1R. I have recently been trying the Xelento, which is incredible with powerful but very clean bass and excellent resolution and detail, but the soundstage is only average, nowhere close the Z5. The imaging and separation are fantastic, but the stage, though it does not feel narrow, is more intimate. It is more of an upgrade of the N3 with better bass and technicalities. If you want big soundstage as well, the Z1R seems to be one of the only options.

I really want to try the A8. I have heard the staging is superior to even the Z5 with better technicalities as well. I am just concerned about that BA bass and how well it can keep up with the DDs I am used to.

Aug 19, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #4,955 of 5,804
I have the A8 and yes its soundstage is incredible. Beats the z5 to my ear. As far as the bass goes, Im going to throw out a number.. %93 of the Z5 bass.

Aug 19, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #4,956 of 5,804
Ugh. Fine. I'll try the A8

Aug 19, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #4,958 of 5,804
Thanks @crinacle for the comparison tool!
See what I mean by the bass being good? The A8 is a hair learner down there, but not much. A8 has more midrange which I appreciate. And that bump around 8k gives it more detail, as well as a bit more air in the upper freq.
graph (2).png

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #4,959 of 5,804
Nice tool. I am curious. Wonder if they will have a booth at RMAF.

Aug 20, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #4,961 of 5,804
I think so. The bass is very satisfying. Keep in mind I tend to eq some bass at 30hz, but they respond like crazy. To my ear it makes BAs have more of a DD slam.

Aug 20, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #4,962 of 5,804
Headphonia a8 review is not kind to its bass, but I'm curious. I have a date with the moondrop booth!

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #4,964 of 5,804
Went to RMAF yesterday, mostly to listen to Z1R. Wasnt impressed. I think the Z5 is nearly as good, if not just equal. The Dekoni Blue (modded t50rp) are dope though. Never owned an over ear planar. Its impressive, especially for the price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back