Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Aug 7, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #4,651 of 5,804
I agree, the jump to the A3 is where the quality starts to show. I am not sure why the z5 gets way more respect than the A3. I too have the atrio mg7 and they are very impressive. Aggressive lows while still retaining clarity. Super light as well, almost feels cheap.

I had the A3 first and I choose it over the Z5 while at the store with my iPhone 6 as I thought the bass on the Z5 was a bit muddy by comparison and the A3 seems to have a bit more sparkle on the high. Turns out that the A3 has a 4K spike and it can cause ear fatigue after long listening period on some genre. I found out later that the Z5 needs a bit more power to drive properly on this thread so I got a Teac HA-P90 and later a PHA-2A for balance. The bass got tighter and goes lower with those. The biggest difference between the A3 and Z5 is the soundstage. The Z5 soundstage is one of the biggest that I've heard on IEMs, it comes very close to the soundstage from a full size headphone. The highs are also smoother without the 4K spike which makes long listening period a lot more enjoyable.

Aug 7, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #4,652 of 5,804
I had the A3 first and I choose it over the Z5 while at the store with my iPhone 6 as I thought the bass on the Z5 was a bit muddy by comparison and the A3 seems to have a bit more sparkle on the high. Turns out that the A3 has a 4K spike and it can cause ear fatigue after long listening period on some genre. I found out later that the Z5 needs a bit more power to drive properly on this thread so I got a Teac HA-P90 and later a PHA-2A for balance. The bass got tighter and goes lower with those. The biggest difference between the A3 and Z5 is the soundstage. The Z5 soundstage is one of the biggest that I've heard on IEMs, it comes very close to the soundstage from a full size headphone. The highs are also smoother without the 4K spike which makes long listening period a lot more enjoyable.
I also had the A3 iem and I can attest this of the sparkle and fatigue. I got z5 because of the reviews here about the big Soundstage and the less sparkle. As you, I was using my z5 with a ZX100 Walkman and the low power 15mw per channel) made them sound bloated and muddy. Then I got my current player, the WM1A which has. More drive power and balanced output. Using the 4.4mm balanced makes the z5 bass controlled and tight, expands. Further the stage and add. More inner resolution to the high end

Aug 7, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #4,653 of 5,804
Regarding tips and fit of the z5 I have an itch reaction to the rubber used on the sony ear uds, my ears get itchy and red after a few hours of use, therefore I got some comply foamies and problem solved.

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #4,654 of 5,804
Regarding tips and fit of the z5 I have an itch reaction to the rubber used on the sony ear uds, my ears get itchy and red after a few hours of use, therefore I got some comply foamies and problem solved.

I'd use Comply foamies with my Z5, but I don't find those comfortable.
At one point of time (with my XBA-H3), I was able to use the Sony hybrids but my fussy ear canals now reject those tips. Much sad.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #4,655 of 5,804

Have you tried the Triple Comfort? I also get itchy with prolong use of Silicone tips but I can use the triple comfort for a fairly long period without problem.

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #4,656 of 5,804
Sony Walkman does not have accessibility features for the visually impaired. I am also visually impaired, however I can see with one eye, which was operated of a cataract and, before the YAG capsulotomy I had to use a magnifying glass to see my sony WM1A screen

That's unfortunate to hear that the ZX300 software isn't accessible... Glad that you were able to enjoy the product still though. :)

The Spin Fit have help a few people with odd shaped ear canal so give those a try. The XZ300 has physical buttons on the side for volume, pause/play and next/last track so at least you won't have to use the touch screen for those once you start playing. I'm old and my eyesight is not that great but I can see and operate the touch screen without glass so hope that will work for you.

Yup I've tried the SpinFits before, but I've found the same size of SpinFit doesn't work on all my earphones equally; for me, it heavily depends on the nozzle size. The Z5, having a slightly thicker nozzle, doesn't play well with the L-size I bought for my MEE Audio Sports. Bit of strange unrelated trivia, the SpinFit's silicon core seems to big for the Fender series of earphones, and it simply would not stay put on my FXA2 when I had that earphone. Very weird imo.
But yes, I'll give the S or M size another try when I have the time to pop by the store to demo.
Also, thanks for that tip about the physical buttons on the ZX300, I forgot some DAPs do that, especially the Sony.
Do the Sony Walkmans have any function to shuffle, like Apple's "shake to shuffle"?

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #4,657 of 5,804
That's unfortunate to hear that the ZX300 software isn't accessible... Glad that you were able to enjoy the product still though. :)

Yup I've tried the SpinFits before, but I've found the same size of SpinFit doesn't work on all my earphones equally; for me, it heavily depends on the nozzle size. The Z5, having a slightly thicker nozzle, doesn't play well with the L-size I bought for my MEE Audio Sports. Bit of strange unrelated trivia, the SpinFit's silicon core seems to big for the Fender series of earphones, and it simply would not stay put on my FXA2 when I had that earphone. Very weird imo.
But yes, I'll give the S or M size another try when I have the time to pop by the store to demo.
Also, thanks for that tip about the physical buttons on the ZX300, I forgot some DAPs do that, especially the Sony.
Do the Sony Walkmans have any function to shuffle, like Apple's "shake to shuffle"?

I have not tried them but as they were not available when I was trying the Spin Fit but maybe give their Double Fiange version a try?

I don't think the XZ300 have shake shuffle play but you can download a copy of the manual here so you can go through all their functions.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/digital-music-players-nw-nwz-zx-series/nw-zx300

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #4,658 of 5,804
Have you tried the Triple Comfort? I also get itchy with prolong use of Silicone tips but I can use the triple comfort for a fairly long period without problem.
I have no access to triple comfort tips, as I am from Mexico.

Aug 7, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #4,659 of 5,804
Right now I am fine with the use of my WM1A screen, visión was restored. Basically the YAG capsulotomy is a laser fired a bit far from an intraocular lens to cut a window from the capsular bag where the lens rests

Aug 7, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #4,664 of 5,804
Aug 7, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #4,665 of 5,804
Hope in the new IEMS they fix the wobbling issue I am lately getting on the right bud of my z5, this occurs at the base of the connector, and also hope the fit is like of the fiio IEMS or shure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back