Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Jul 6, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #4,156 of 5,804
They are polar opposites in sound sig. Ex1000 leans more on the bright side.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #4,157 of 5,804
I'm actually getting the z5 at a really good price, almost close to the price of A3, after trying them in store I liked the z5 little bit more, maybe it's me... But the z5 felt lot more wider in soundstage (I'm a sucker for big soundstage). Guess I'll get it anyway and live with an amp.

About the bulk... How about those mini fiio amps? A1 or the K1?

Yeah, that seems to be the overwhelming consensus, that the z5's have an even wider Soundstage than the a3's or h3's. As a big fan of my a3's, I can't believe any IEM can have a larger soundstage. I look from time to time for a z5. Someday...

Jul 10, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #4,159 of 5,804
I removed the filters from my z5 as they accumulated dirt, I haven't noted any hint of harshness at all, but a bit more details come out.

Jul 10, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #4,160 of 5,804
I removed the filters from my z5 as they accumulated dirt, I haven't noted any hint of harshness at all, but a bit more details come out.

Are they essential? Perhaps you can keep them off and use some tips with a waxguard, like Comply TX400 or so.
I'm expecting my EX1000 next week.

Jul 10, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #4,161 of 5,804
Are they essential? Perhaps you can keep them off and use some tips with a waxguard, like Comply TX400 or so.
I'm expecting my EX1000 next week.
It is a mere sponge, nothing special, more treble details come without the sponges

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #4,162 of 5,804

How'd you do that?

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #4,165 of 5,804
Jul 13, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #4,166 of 5,804
It is a mere sponge, nothing special, more treble details come without the sponges

Not all sponges are equal :D

That reminded me of the Shure 846, which have a system of customizable filters to change the signature. One bass emphasized, one neutral, one bright/treble emphasized.

In practice the difference is just the type of foam inside a little plastic tube which is then inserted in the nozzle. The density of the foam is different for these three, changing the attenuation/balance.

Removing the foam completely to leave a fully open nozzle is not in the manual, but some people did it to add more treble energy at the cost of the low end. It's called "Going full afterburner" :D

If it is similar to the Shure, it should be possible to carefully remove it with tweezers and wash/reinstall. If they cannot be cleaned then there's no way around permanent removal. But using something like Comply TX or TSX tips with the WaxGuard mesh is always an option.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #4,169 of 5,804
Hello friends. Does anyone here know if there's an upcoming iem from Sony to complement the Signature line-up?
wouldn't that already be the Z5 technically? or are you saying there's likely to be an uber iem that surpasses the Z5? (if there is, I'd very much like to hear it.)

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #4,170 of 5,804
While the Z5 is great, it does need some power to drive properly. If you want ot save weight, maybe a Fiio A3 which weight 1/2 of the C5. Do not try to drive it from a phone. If you absolutely does not want an AMP, maybe the XBA-N3 would be a good alternate as it's much easier to drive.
I'm curious, but why do you say this? My iPhone alone drives the X5 very nicely, though it's nicer (but not louder) with the PHA-3, even outdoors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back