Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Apr 21, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #4,111 of 5,804
There are threads having many times more pages than this thread, but it is highly uncommon for a specific product thread to be still fairly frequently discussed with new owners chiming in after 3 years of its release, and it is also not too common these days for a manufacturer to maintain a product's flagship status for that long. They must have done something right with the Z5. As days gone by I tend to think these are the very best hybrids out there even with the great many hybrids released after them from very reputable brands (finally got the chance to try out the Dorado the other day and as good as it is still dun think it can displace the Z5)
ditto, many have also said this for the XBA-A3, but I prefer the build of the z5 and I feel z5 ha e more bass control and lesser bass than the a3 as well bigger stage, yet z5 have a bit recessed highs but still capable of details very well without being sibilant

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #4,112 of 5,804
Still baffled at some companies that sell their headphones with airline adapter.

Last time I traveled to Germany, the A380 and A330 had headphone jack on the screen device, so I just plugged my z5 with ease

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #4,113 of 5,804
Lucked out and got the last pair of sub $500 new Z5 off Amazon prime. Damn. I didn't think the difference was that big when I was A/Bing between the A3 and Z5 in Tokyo 2 years ago but I only had my iPhone with me at the time. Guess this teach me to use a proper DAC/AMP when testing new cans. Don't even think about driving these with a phone.

Now, even brand new out of the box compared to my fully broken in A3 (if you believe that stuff). The difference is quite noticeable using the NW-A35 (will have to wait till Monday to try it on the HA-P50 at the office). Bigger sound stage, more controlled and tighter bass that reach lower. Some have said that the high-mids/low-highs are a bit recessed compared to the A3, This turns out to be a good thing as on the A3 they can be a bit sharp at times.

Does seems to take a bit more power to drive, up at 80/120 compared to 70/120 to the A3 (it also maybe that with less of those sharp mids of the A3, I can comfortably run them at a higher volume) . Going to let it play on a loop overnight over the weekend to get some hours in and see but so far, well worth the cost. (now my only concern is if my MUC-M2BT1 can drive it well).

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #4,114 of 5,804
Is the Z5 the best option if I have the Z7 and am very happy with them? I have an LG V10/v20, and the Z7 is fantastic. I also have custom UE TF10, but they just aren't cutting it for me after I got the Z7.

Thanks.

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #4,117 of 5,804
Still baffled at some companies that sell their headphones with airline adapter.

Last time I traveled to Germany, the A380 and A330 had headphone jack on the screen device, so I just plugged my z5 with ease

I did not enjoy taking my Z5s on plane trips at all. The isolation was terrible and barely reduced the plane noise

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #4,118 of 5,804
Is the Z5 the best option if I have the Z7 and am very happy with them? I have an LG V10/v20, and the Z7 is fantastic. I also have custom UE TF10, but they just aren't cutting it for me after I got the Z7.

Thanks.
yes I have both

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #4,119 of 5,804
Has anyone here driven their Z5 from a chord Mojo?
I tried side by side Mojo and Mini-m8 through optical and coaxial connected to Questyle QP1R.
Mojo was better in like 15% of cases, while Mini-m8 in 85%. Mojo's sound has very very narrow stage, while the build of Z5 is such that the side of dynamic driver is facing the ear canal. Mini-m8 provides the widest soundstage I have ever heard from 20+ top-notch devices I have heard. So when they Mini-m8 meets Z5 they create like 1m soundstage from the ear...fantastic result.

May 1, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #4,120 of 5,804
I tried side by side Mojo and Mini-m8 through optical and coaxial connected to Questyle QP1R.
Mojo was better in like 15% of cases, while Mini-m8 in 85%. Mojo's sound has very very narrow stage, while the build of Z5 is such that the side of dynamic driver is facing the ear canal. Mini-m8 provides the widest soundstage I have ever heard from 20+ top-notch devices I have heard. So when they Mini-m8 meets Z5 they create like 1m soundstage from the ear...fantastic result.

I see that the Mini M8 have a Balanced output. What kind of adapter do you need to run the Z5 in balanced mode?

May 1, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #4,121 of 5,804
Perhaps he needs one that has two female 3.5mm like this one
1493656836207-369358088.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back