Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Nov 11, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #3,722 of 5,810
Thanks, guys for valuable. Went for the SE215m+ recently, sounds not bad at all with remarkable isolation and regconisable sound from Shure, warm and forward, the top end is very well controlled (better than many. The effective noise blocking from these somehow made me question the quality of z5 so I had to switch back to the z5 right away. Guess what? Oh Lord, totally forgot how the Shure sound lol, how much I love these sweet sounds and details (both tested straight out of my iphone 6s using lightning to 3.5mm adapter I got from my friend) realize how good our Z5s are, saving for PHA-3 and the upgrade balanced cable to see its full capacity, just can't wait!!!

And the cable from Shure with inline mic of this special edition works fine on z5 but make it sound a bit less premium: more forward, less details, a bit colored and narrow down the soundstage compared to the stock cable. Not much but of course noticeable for z5 fans.

Plus, my friend is coming back from Japan and I am considering getting him help with a pair of EX1000 or EX800ST/7550. I did read some comparisons between them and the Z5 somewhere this thread but seemed like it was too soon for a adequate impression of the Z5. Can anyone tell me how do those legends sound compare to the z5? Superior or inferior? Are the sound signatures different?

Thanks, Linh.

Nov 11, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #3,723 of 5,810
Thanks, guys for valuable. Went for the SE215m+ recently, sounds not bad at all with remarkable isolation and regconisable sound from Shure, warm and forward, the top end is very well controlled (better than many. The effective noise blocking from these somehow made me question the quality of z5 so I had to switch back to the z5 right away. Guess what? Oh Lord, totally forgot how the Shure sound lol, how much I love these sweet sounds and details (both tested straight out of my iphone 6s using lightning to 3.5mm adapter I got from my friend) realize how good our Z5s are, saving for PHA-3 and the upgrade balanced cable to see its full capacity, just can't wait!!!

And the cable from Shure with inline mic of this special edition works fine on z5 but make it sound a bit less premium: more forward, less details, a bit colored and narrow down the soundstage compared to the stock cable. Not much but of course noticeable for z5 fans.

Plus, my friend is coming back from Japan and I am considering getting him help with a pair of EX1000 or EX800ST/7550. I did read some comparisons between them and the Z5 somewhere this thread but seemed like it was too soon for a adequate impression of the Z5. Can anyone tell me how do those legends sound compare to the z5? Superior or inferior? Are the sound signatures different?

Thanks, Linh.

XBA-Z5 is a hybrid BA +DD and the EX1000 is pure dynamic so they are different, Z5 is warm and musical and ex1000 for what i have heard is more neutral analytical

Nov 11, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #3,724 of 5,810
EX1000 has deep lows and sparkling highs that many find too strident and sharp.

7550 is more midcentric with good lows and more damped treble.

Both are more neutral than the Z5 lacking it's darker signature.

I "upgraded" from the 7550 to the EX1000 and regretted that decision but have never repurchased the 7550 coming very close a few times.

The Z5 sits pretty much in between the EX1000 and 7550 in regards to treble.

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #3,725 of 5,810
Oversized foam tips help calm the treble of the EX1000, and also help to bring out the mids... Cannot believe it took me six years to work that out...

Granted, I've never heard the Z5, but the H3 sounds bloated and syrupy in comparison to the EX1000 :)

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #3,726 of 5,810
Oversized foam tips help calm the treble of the EX1000, and also help to bring out the mids... Cannot believe it took me six years to work that out...

Granted, I've never heard the Z5, but the H3 sounds bloated and syrupy in comparison to the EX1000
smily_headphones1.gif

Those XBA-H3: I hated them nothing could tam the BASS not even amping them so i ended selling themm Z5s are a vast improvement over the messy H3s, way better details and staging, deep controlled bass

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #3,727 of 5,810
I prefer both the ex800st (7550) and ex1000 over the Z5. I do tape the vents on the ex800st, which makes it into a bass monster. The ex1000 is just so damn clear, it's a very good iem. If you eq lots of bass in, the ex1000 hits very hard too. Both are great iems.

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #3,728 of 5,810
  XBA-Z5 is a hybrid BA +DD and the EX1000 is pure dynamic so they are different, Z5 is warm and musical and ex1000 for what i have heard is more neutral analytical

EX1000 has deep lows and sparkling highs that many find too strident and sharp.

7550 is more midcentric with good lows and more damped treble.

Both are more neutral than the Z5 lacking it's darker signature.

I "upgraded" from the 7550 to the EX1000 and regretted that decision but have never repurchased the 7550 coming very close a few times.

The Z5 sits pretty much in between the EX1000 and 7550 in regards to treble.

Looks like I really need one of those, I have always been looking for a neutral pair, as neutral as possible. With the statements regarding the treble of EX1000, it sounds that it may be too sharp for me too. The treble of the much loved MSR7 cans gives me headache every time. 

Granted, I've never heard the Z5, but the H3 sounds bloated and syrupy in comparison to the EX1000
smily_headphones1.gif

Those XBA-H3: I hated them nothing could tam the BASS not even amping them so i ended selling themm Z5s are a vast improvement over the messy H3s, way better details and staging, deep controlled bass

The H3 to my taste, was very good with that dark signature. Very detailed sound for the price. But my trial was just half an hour anyway.

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #3,731 of 5,810
the ex1000 7550m 600 have NON-STANDARD connectors thats why i pass on them, Z5 has standard MMCX connectors

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #3,733 of 5,810
I actually think the 7550 connector is wayyyyyyy better than the MMCX the issue is that Sony never bothered to make any optional cables. If I could have found a smartphone cable for the 7550 I would still be using them I suspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back