Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Oct 31, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #316 of 5,804
Uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh.................... no.

Midrange is that flagon of wine, thank you very much :)

Much as it has endeared itself to exotic descriptions, the z5 are very much in my book of impressive IEMs.

I just wonder at the use of that super tight but super thick bass. It gave me the impression that it could not fully blow up its potential to greater heights.

Ah!
I think it's due to the poor source: my iPhone 6 plus.

So either an amp or/and burn-in should make short work of that super tight and thick bass.

Else, it does not bleed into the mids, and trebles are super loved by me.

Like i said, a complete package and no other headphone can do pop/dance music as well as it.

IMHO.

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #317 of 5,804
  Pregnant with phlegm is definitely top of the heap for what I'm lookin for in my phones. Anywho, the Z5 seems to be about universally reviled over at kakaku.com, but the sample size of 9 reviews is too small to arrive at anything conclusive, other than perhaps caution is order. The common link seems to be overly boosted bass and a thick sig though. Which... makes the aforementioned machine translated review all the more confusing - unless its original intent has been mangled (mayhaps), as the ex1000 and Z5 don't seem to be anything alike. The Ex1000 was very linear from the bottom up to about the treble range, where things start looking a bit rough. The Z5 on the other hand, doesn't seem to manage an iota of linearity if all this talk of coagulated super thick bass is any indication. In any case, I do look forward to hearing them, as, like the Lear 4.2, there's a plethora of interesting tech jammed in there. Whether any of that coheres into anything worthwhile is the real question. 

No one pays 700$ for this non linear iem with thick bass..............if at all this is true
eek.gif

Sony needs to leave its fetish of huge bass for more neutrality when the range increases,,,but we see complete opposite
biggrin.gif

Looks like they are targeting only bass loving folk nowadays,,,disappointing.Good for bass lovers though
beerchug.gif

But then xba-10,20,30,100 is tuned opposite to this,,,being bass light with metallic treble and sibilance
angry_face.gif

Why not make something balanced for the love of god??

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #318 of 5,804
  Uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh.................... no.

Midrange is that flagon of wine, thank you very much :)

Much as it has endeared itself to exotic descriptions, the z5 are very much in my book of impressive IEMs.

I just wonder at the use of that super tight but super thick bass. It gave me the impression that it could not fully blow up its potential to greater heights.

Ah!
I think it's due to the poor source: my iPhone 6 plus.

So either an amp or/and burn-in should make short work of that super tight and thick bass.

Else, it does not bleed into the mids, and trebles are super loved by me.

Like i said, a complete package and no other headphone can do pop/dance music as well as it.

IMHO.

Can u compare these with other stuff u own for reference??

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #319 of 5,804

No one pays 700$ for this non linear iem with thick bass..............if at all this is true
eek.gif

Sony needs to leave its fetish of huge bass for more neutrality when the range increases,,,but we see complete opposite
biggrin.gif

Looks like they are targeting only bass loving folk nowadays,,,disappointing.Good for bass lovers though
beerchug.gif

But then xba-10,20,30,100 is tuned opposite to this,,,being bass light with metallic treble and sibilance
angry_face.gif

Why not make something balanced for the love of god??

Well, if they wanna make more sales.... Boosted bass is a no-brainer

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #320 of 5,804
  Well, if they wanna make more sales.... Boosted bass is a no-brainer

I know but that why put huge bass in an earphone that costs 700+??
They already have A2 and A3 for that not to mention h3.

But i agree,h3 has sold remarkably well even at the cost of better all rounders like dn-1000,so the strategy seems to be working for them.

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #321 of 5,804

I know but that why put huge bass in an earphone that costs 700+??
They already have A2 and A3 for that not to mention h3.

But i agree,h3 has sold remarkably well even at the cost of better all rounders like dn-1000,so the strategy seems to be working for them.

Their tagline for the Z5 is "Feel the air". This is alluding to the Z5's prowess as a fart cannon obviously. 

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #322 of 5,804
  Their tagline for the Z5 is "Feel the air". This is alluding to the Z5's prowess as a fart cannon obviously. 

U mention ex 600 in ur inventory,,,are they even better than kc06/tenore??
Just asking

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #323 of 5,804
Well the z5 really feels more spacious than H3, A2 and A3.

That means instruments are well defined, allocating them very definite space between each other, not a mixed mess of sounds.
I used to think H3 is pretty good in presenting space but the z5 really showed the H3 what should be done.

Sometimes introducing space might make everything sound thin, but the z5 still have a lot of substance while doing that.

It's just all so coherent with the z5 and i am unable to call up adequate audiophile vocabulary to describe it.

Well, actually i JUST DID: COHERENT.

Gives me the impression of a luscious Russian woman draped with luxurious cloth, with complete ornaments in her elaborately set up beehive of a hair.
Very classy.
But might be too much for some, although still tastefully presented, imho.

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #324 of 5,804
  Well the z5 really feels more spacious than H3, A2 and A3.

That means instruments are well defined, allocating them very definite space between each other, not a mixed mess of sounds.
I used to think H3 is pretty good in presenting space but the z5 really showed the H3 what should be done.

Sometimes introducing space might make everything sound thin, but the z5 still have a lot of substance while doing that.

It's just all so coherent with the z5 and i am unable to call up adequate audiophile vocabulary to describe it.

Well, actually i JUST DID: COHERENT.

Gives me the impression of a luscious Russian woman draped with luxurious cloth, with complete ornaments in her elaborately set up beehive of a hair.
Very classy.
But might be too much for some, although still tastefully presented, imho.

well good for u,,looks like u are well set
beerchug.gif

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #325 of 5,804
It's been a very long time since I've heard the Ex-600. I'd have to sit down and compare them to be sure. Just from memory though, the Ex-600 is gonna eclipse both in terms of sheer space. The treble on the Tenore and KC06 will likely come across as more refined/smooth compared to the Ex-600. The Ex-600 is probably going to have more laidback mids compared to the Tenore and especially the KC06. The Ex-600 is probably going to have the least bass presence of the three, but is likely quicker, and is probably the most linear of the three (assuming the Tenore is a bass boosted one). Anything more specific than that, I'd have to sit down for. 

The way that the Z5 is described makes me wonder whether it'd sound something like the JH Roxanne. 

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #327 of 5,804

well good for u,,looks like u are well set
beerchug.gif

Actually no.

I'm itching for a pair of customs.

And the Fitear 333 is truly unique-sounding, one of those that made my eyes sparkle in surprise and delight!
Hard to choose, even if the Fitear is mor ethan twice the price o fthe z5.

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #328 of 5,804
  Actually no.

And the Fitear 333 is truly unique-sounding, one of those that made my eyes sparkle in surprise and delight!

I support u,,get fitear and donate z5 for earning extra karma points
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #329 of 5,804
  Actually no.

I'm curious, I know the 333 is a pretty bright leaning phone. How did you feel the Z5 stacked up to it in terms of treble?

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #330 of 5,804

I'm curious, I know the 333 is a pretty bright leaning phone. How did you feel the Z5 stacked up to it in terms of treble?

If my memory of 333 is still accurate, i'd say similar, but the 333 sounds cleaner and hence, treble sounds more apparent in 333 than in z5.
Z5 seems like a more competent overall performing pair of headphones, but 333 immediately grabs your attention with its mids, which in the z5 blends coherently with both bass and treble.

I can be wrong, since I couldn't even tell effectively apart the A2 and A3!

How horrid my aural discernment is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back