Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
May 7, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #1,591 of 5,804
Hey guys, would the Z5 sound ok with an iPhone 6 plus or do I really need an amp?

The Z5 sound good, better than ok, out of my iphone 6 (I think 6 and 6 plus have identical audio specs) but once you add an amp into the mix you can't go back to straight hp out from the iphone, it's night and day. If you're gonna drop the coin for z5 then it makes the most sense to really get your money's worth and use an amp. Without an amp there's less expensive options that will give you pretty similar results, like RHA t10. 

May 7, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #1,592 of 5,804
so the spinfits came in from japan and... damn... the hype is real. coming from the tx-200 theres a bigger sound stage plus improved bass slam and extension. I think my ears are just a millimeter too big for the mediums to seal perfectly but I am able to get them sealed with the right angle. If anyone here is concerned about losing bass with the spinfits, my guess is that's happened because of an ear to tip seal issue and not the tips themselves. 

my subjective tip preference for z5 is now: spinfits > comply tx200 > sony hybrids. (the sony hybrids seal well but I don't like the sound out of them very much, I think it's that the nozzle maybe isn't wide enough.)

May 7, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #1,594 of 5,804
I was wondering how is the comfort with these. They seem to have a rather.. particular shape... which might not fit every ear in this world?

I am asking if anyone ever had a problem, i have rather... big... large... ears, so i do not really have to worry, about size, but i was curious how it fits in the ear, what does the user feel?

May 7, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #1,595 of 5,804
I was wondering how is the comfort with these. They seem to have a rather.. particular shape... which might not fit every ear in this world?

I am asking if anyone ever had a problem, i have rather... big... large... ears, so i do not really have to worry, about size, but i was curious how it fits in the ear, what does the user feel?

The main body of the IEM sits quite comfortably in the ear and feels nice and secure. It's just the tips I'm having issues with - my old Shure's were small-bore and sat further away from the ear canal so I could use triple flange silicone tips or long Complys. None of those fit the wide-bore port of the ZX5 and with the body sitting right in the ear the tip itself needs to be fairly short.

Not going to lie - I'm struggling at the mo, but only with the tip / ear canal part. The actual body of the IEM is fine and feels way more comfy and stable than other, smaller units I've experienced.

May 7, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #1,596 of 5,804
The main body of the IEM sits quite comfortably in the ear and feels nice and secure. It's just the tips I'm having issues with - my old Shure's were small-bore and sat further away from the ear canal so I could use triple flange silicone tips or long Complys. None of those fit the wide-bore port of the ZX5 and with the body sitting right in the ear the tip itself needs to be fairly short.

Not going to lie - I'm struggling at the mo, but only with the tip / ear canal part. The actual body of the IEM is fine and feels way more comfy and stable than other, smaller units I've experienced.

So i guess that it is made for a shallow insertion, right?

May 7, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #1,597 of 5,804
So i guess that it is made for a shallow insertion, right?

It's the opposite I think. I'll try to describe! The body of the IEM is large in diameter but fairly flat, if you imagine a smallish stubby coin standing on it's rim, and seating the coin, in that orientation in your ear so that the rim of the coin seats neatly in the grove at the bottom of your ear, as the rim curves round it gets very close to your ear canal entry, this is where the large port points towards; almost directly opposite this on the 'coin' rim is uncovered by any part of the ear skin and is where the cable attaches from the top.

I'm trying to say that the body fits really comfortably in the folds of the ear, but the wide-bore port where the sound exits is really close to and aimed right at the ear canal entry point. It seems like the right tip would give a really deep insertion and a great seal, but my usual trick tips to get great insertion are all small bore ones.

I think I'm having issues at the moment as with the small stock tips, I get great insertion into the ear canal, but they're too small to seal in there and with the mediums I get great isolation, but not far enough into the ear canal so I'm getting pressure in a painful part of the ear cartilage.

I'm sure I'll get there. I have some spiral dots coming and I've contacted Dopaminer about some spinfits.

May 7, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #1,598 of 5,804
It's the opposite I think. I'll try to describe! The body of the IEM is large in diameter but fairly flat, if you imagine a smallish stubby coin standing on it's rim, and seating the coin, in that orientation in your ear so that the rim of the coin seats neatly in the grove at the bottom of your ear, as the rim curves round it gets very close to your ear canal entry, this is where the large port points towards; almost directly opposite this on the 'coin' rim is uncovered by any part of the ear skin and is where the cable attaches from the top.

I'm trying to say that the body fits really comfortably in the folds of the ear, but the wide-bore port where the sound exits is really close to and aimed right at the ear canal entry point. It seems like the right tip would give a really deep insertion and a great seal, but my usual trick tips to get great insertion are all small bore ones.

I think I'm having issues at the moment as with the small stock tips, I get great insertion into the ear canal, but they're too small to seal in there and with the mediums I get great isolation, but not far enough into the ear canal so I'm getting pressure in a painful part of the ear cartilage.

I'm sure I'll get there. I have some spiral dots coming and I've contacted Dopaminer about some spinfits.

Ah, i understood how it is.

Seems like an interesting IEM to do so much to make it fit. 

I will watch this thread for a while, to see if it is good for me. I have a weak sensation that i might want to study further the signature of them.

May 8, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #1,601 of 5,804
  This is a very good question!

I am also interested in the answer, if anyone has had the chance of comparing them side to side.

The JVC was nice to listen to it does nothing wrong. The Z5 does everything the JVC does but a lot more and a lot better. Both have a weird housing but the Z5 isolates a lot more.

May 8, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #1,604 of 5,804
Trance 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back