Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
May 8, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #1,606 of 5,804
  Trance 
wink.gif

Heard lots of that at Ultra.

May 11, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #1,612 of 5,804
  Hey guys, can someone mention how Z5 sound with jazz music, such trumpets, sax, etc etc??? thanks a lot!!!!

Without an amp the Mids and Treble are good and detailed , as good as the 846 or Westone 4 but with an amp the Mids and treble are as good as the JH 13 or the Custom Art Harmony 8 Driver Pro.

May 11, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #1,614 of 5,804

Without an amp the Mids and Treble are good and detailed , as good as the 846 or Westone 4 but with an amp the Mids and treble are as good as the JH 13 or the Custom Art Harmony 8 Driver Pro.

High endorsement indeed. Glad to not be alone is recognizing how awesome the z5 is. Looking forward to getting my PONO and running it balanced ... 

May 11, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #1,615 of 5,804

thanks for the answer!

can i know what amp are you using? thanks!

I have used: Pico Power, Fiio E12A and my Favorite is the Headstage Arrow but the issue is waiting for Robert to make it for you. Usually there is a long wait for this amp. A friend has the VorzAMP pure II which is also from Germany and he loves it.

May 11, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #1,616 of 5,804
I have used: Pico Power, Fiio E12A and my Favorite is the Headstage Arrow but the issue is waiting for Robert to make it for you. Usually there is a long wait for this amp. A friend has the VorzAMP pure II which is also from Germany and he loves it.

I took the plunge on these Sony's giving my credit card another bruising thanks to head-fi. :xf_eek:, and I noticed you have the fiio E12A down there as one of the portable amps used with them. I'm currently running a pair of UE triple-fi's with custom wires and comply foams with the fiio e12a, no extended bass option from the fiio and pretty much a balanced sound coming out of my dap with no eq additions. To me, everything sounds pretty damn good, but the triple-fi's are getting long in the tooth in comparison to what's out there with the new hybrids. To think, from your input on these Sony's, sound can be taken to another level over what can be achieved from these triple-fi's is appealing, but the overall point is I don't want to be disappointed in any way with this purchase, so what I was wondering is, what is the best way I can keep my expectations in check so I don't compare them right off the bat with a very seasoned pair of UE's. For example If I've got no issues with using Comply's on the triple-fi's, do you think I should be starting with comply's on the Sony's. Also, the triple-fi 's have that frankenstein bolt size and weight to them, so I was used to the triple-fi fit issue right out of the starting blocks, hence the long term affair with having comply's keeping them stable and sealed.

Do you have any experience with the Ultimate Ear type sound and if you have, can you tell me what to expect in comparison to the Sony sound, as I've never owned a Sony IEM product before and won't get them to this friday, so I was looking for some input on how I should approach these Sony's with fit and burn in time when used with the fiio e12a amp before I even remotely make a sound comparison with the triple-fi's?

May 11, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #1,617 of 5,804
I took the plunge on these Sony's giving my credit card another bruising thanks to head-fi.
redface.gif
, and I noticed you have the fiio E12A down there as one of the portable amps used with them. I'm currently running a pair of UE triple-fi's with custom wires and comply foams with the fiio e12a, no extended bass option from the fiio and pretty much a balanced sound coming out of my dap with no eq additions. To me, everything sounds pretty damn good, but the triple-fi's are getting long in the tooth in comparison to what's out there with the new hybrids. To think, from your input on these Sony's, sound can be taken to another level over what can be achieved from these triple-fi's is appealing, but the overall point is I don't want to be disappointed in any way with this purchase, so what I was wondering is, what is the best way I can keep my expectations in check so I don't compare them right off the bat with a very seasoned pair of UE's. For example If I've got no issues with using Comply's on the triple-fi's, do you think I should be starting with comply's on the Sony's. Also, the triple-fi 's have that frankenstein bolt size and weight to them, so I was used to the triple-fi fit issue right out of the starting blocks, hence the long term affair with having comply's keeping them stable and sealed.

Do you have any experience with the Ultimate Ear type sound and if you have, can you tell me what to expect in comparison to the Sony sound, as I've never owned a Sony IEM product before and won't get them to this friday, so I was looking for some input on how I should approach these Sony's with fit and burn in time when used with the fiio e12a amp before I even remotely make a sound comparison with the triple-fi's?

I too had the UE Tri, UE5 and UE 5EB. Well the Tri has BA Drivers which doesnt actually move air but reproduces sound. What I mean is the Tri Driver for bass compared to the Z5 Huge Dynamic Drivers which works like a home floor standing Woofer will push and pull. These drivers will push forwaards pushing air and vibrating like a real woofer. So at first you will be easily focused on the amount of low end power and you will not be used to this. The Dynamic Drivers will go through changes meaning the low end will be powerful until atleast 40 hours of break end then the low end will calm down a bit but if a track requires bass these drivers will pound hard and low. Now for the Mids and Treble the Z5 uses BA Drivers similar to the Tri. During the first 40 hours (with no amp) the mids and treble will sound clear but will sound a little recessed compared to the Bass. Most likely you will be tempted to raise the volume to get the Mids and treble to move forwards (an amp can easily help during this time). I really noticed that this IEM needs and demands power. Most of my IREs didnt except 2 other IEMs which were custom IEMs. During the break in the overal sound will go through changes and patience is needed but once it breaks in the Z5 becomes much closer to Neutral and with an amp will excell a lot. The Z5 really does excell a lot more with an amp compared to most of my other IEMs. I would see if the stock tips works for you I liked them. I also am using Comply Foam tips and it does well in sealing but I moticed they will last a few months then I sense the isolation getting worse and its time to replace. I did try a silicon tip which made the sound muddy maybe too much seal which created a vacume. Yes the earpiece design is not the best but it is better than the UE.

May 11, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #1,619 of 5,804
 For example If I've got no issues with using Comply's on the triple-fi's, do you think I should be starting with comply's on the Sony's. Also, the triple-fi 's have that frankenstein bolt size and weight to them, so I was used to the triple-fi fit issue right out of the starting blocks, hence the long term affair with having comply's keeping them stable and sealed.

start with the comply's. I've been a "comply guy" for years but recently have been using the spinfits on the z5. They don't seal as easily as the foamies but I find the low end hits harder and lower with the spinfits. But nothing seals and isolates like foam.

TL:DR - I've been through a lot of budget bass iem's and felt that comply's always helped those types of phones because they all suffered from sibilance issues. Similarly, budget bass iem's may have a lot of low end, but they don't have much detail, and in my recent switch from z5 to spinfits, I sort of felt that the foam tips were muddying the sound a bit. In the past this issue was masked by the fact that buget iem's already have somewhat muddy bass, but the z5 (when amped) is so close to immaculate (for me at least) that I really prefer the straight silicone tubes into my brain. The calmed highs and added boom from the foam tips aren't necessary. That being said, you still may prefer the comply's. I miss how easy the comply's insert and seal. I think the included tips are fine but change the sound in a weird way, like the 3d soundstage doesn't feel as big with them.

May 11, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #1,620 of 5,804

I too had the UE Tri, UE5 and UE 5EB. Well the Tri has BA Drivers which doesnt actually move air but reproduces sound. What I mean is the Tri Driver for bass compared to the Z5 Huge Dynamic Drivers which works like a home floor standing Woofer will push and pull. These drivers will push forwaards pushing air and vibrating like a real woofer. So at first you will be easily focused on the amount of low end power and you will not be used to this. The Dynamic Drivers will go through changes meaning the low end will be powerful until atleast 40 hours of break end then the low end will calm down a bit but if a track requires bass these drivers will pound hard and low. Now for the Mids and Treble the Z5 uses BA Drivers similar to the Tri. During the first 40 hours (with no amp) the mids and treble will sound clear but will sound a little recessed compared to the Bass. Most likely you will be tempted to raise the volume to get the Mids and treble to move forwards (an amp can easily help during this time). I really noticed that this IEM needs and demands power. Most of my IREs didnt except 2 other IEMs which were custom IEMs. During the break in the overal sound will go through changes and patience is needed but once it breaks in the Z5 becomes much closer to Neutral and with an amp will excell a lot. The Z5 really does excell a lot more with an amp compared to most of my other IEMs. I would see if the stock tips works for you I liked them. I also am using Comply Foam tips and it does well in sealing but I moticed they will last a few months then I sense the isolation getting worse and its time to replace. I did try a silicon tip which made the sound muddy maybe too much seal which created a vacume. Yes the earpiece design is not the best but it is better than the UE.

That was incredibly helpful....thank you. Now that I know what to expect, I can be prepared for how the sound adjusts itself over burn in time. Probably one of the reasons I've held on to the triple-fi's is that they became like a comfortable old shoe and the dizzying options of high end IEM's out there intimidated me from not moving on to something new. Added to that, I did own the UE900's, but they broke way too easily, and that gave me pause for thought about throwing more money away on some potentially shoddy built product.  UE has just tanked in quality after the logitech buyout. Fortunately, I've always trusted the Sony name, so I knew I could count on the build quality for one. Adjusting to the difference in sound is probably my biggest fear, but I'm willing to put in the quality time required to get the best out of Z5's.

Thanks again for your help and input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back