sony zx700 vs sony zx500
Aug 20, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 28

Quote:
does it have a difference 

Heya,

Yeap. ZX700 is 24ohm, and sensitive. The ZX500 is 70ohms (for some reason). Straight from Sony's website. ZX500 needs an amp. Also read that the 700's pads are higher quality than the 500's. I don't have them so I cannot say with authority.

Very best,

Aug 20, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 28
Hey,   MalVeaux  you are great. I have read around the forum and you are always giving satisfying answers !

So let me add another question to this thread .. how does xd700 respond to EQing ?

Aug 20, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 28
70ohms and 104dB/mw does not demand an amp.
In any event, ZX700 has the better drivers.

Aug 21, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:
So let me add another question to this thread .. how does xd700 respond to EQing ?

Heya,

I don't have a pair, but they're often compared to the M50. I imagine they EQ just fine. The thing about a relatively neutral headphone is that minor EQing can change it quite a bit. For example, I find the M50's benefit from a minor EQ bump in mids/highs to bring out details in the mids/highs that I want to hear, so that the bass and lower mids don't over power the sound. I imagine a similar headphone, like the ZX700 would also benefit from minor EQ changes depending on the kind of sound you're looking for. A few dB change can make rather striking differences to the overall sound. And a neutral headphone tends to have room to EQ a bit in any direction. Nice to be able to be neutral or colored on a whim.

Very best,

Aug 21, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 28
That ZX500 is specced 70 ohm doesn't necessarily have to make them harder to drive, at least when you look at XB series, the 40 ohm XB500 is actually noticably easier driven than 24 ohm XB700. There's very little info on zx500 so it's difficult to say.

Aug 21, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #9 of 28

Quote:
Some amps have a really hard time driving 16 Ohm headphones, according to that NwAvGuy.

Heya,

With those headphones, it's not the impedance. There's a lot more to it in general. Not projecting that towards you, just in general. It's always funny how a low impedance headphone that is sensitive requires different amplification, or none, than another headphone with near identical impedance and sensitivity. It's almost like it's a pointless spec....

Very best,

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #10 of 28
I think this review might help you:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sony-mdr-zx700

Plus, you can also check the pro version of the zx700, it is the mdr-7510 which comes with a longer cable, but its coiled, and it also comes with a carrying pouch.

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #12 of 28
I thought to drive a low impedance headphone, the amp will need more current. But its easier (is it?) to build an amp that outputs lots of voltage rather than current?

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #13 of 28
Can I use ZX700 with my portable MP3 player or my iPhone ? Can they still deliver high quality sound if I use them without any amp ? I generally use 320 kbps bitrate songs. Please advise. I'm definitely in need of a nice pair of headphones. Thanks, RYK

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #14 of 28
Yes you can!

After storming this forum which headphones should I buy, I ended up buying the ZX700. Never been disappointed from these kick-ass cans (I have them since 6 months).
To be honest, these are the most high-class headphones I have ever owned but they simply outclass (in my opinion) all the headphones I have ever ''tasted''.

I have used them with my mp3 player on some occasions and YES they give me the same HQ sound as if used on computer without the need of amplifier. My mp3 player is Samsung YP-T10 (but I highly doubt on other mp3 players a difference will occur) (I myself use 320kbps songs most often too)

However, just to mention, you must take in consideration that this headphones will exhaust ~2,3 * times faster the battery of you player compared to "small headphones"

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #15 of 28

Thanks for the reply... I've been using Zagg earbuds for a while... they are pretty good.. good bass, good mids and highs.... but I want to buy a nice pair of over-ear phones. How's its sound quality, lows, mid and highs ? I generally listen to Rock songs, David Guetta and some other dance music. Can I go for them ? I'm in India and they are worth Rs. 6000 (USD 112 something) here... I dont have any HiFi system. All I use is my iPhone and laptop to listen to music. I'm more concerned about listining music on my iPhone because I travel a lot.

Sony stores here wont let test them on my iPhone. So, I cant test their quality. All I'm replying is on the feedbacks and reviews of its users. Apart from this, can you suggest some more that I can go for and those who deliver good sound quality if I use then on my iPhone.

Thanks. RYK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back