Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
May 25, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #9,662 of 9,747
I didn't had the impression the MV1 feels cheap, only the Moondrop Void. I hope there is no misunderstanding here^^ i think the MV1 is built pretty good
Ah yeah sorry misunderstood it a bit there.

May 25, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #9,663 of 9,747
Speaking of, I recently picked up a pair of MV1. These things are tuned incredibly well. Can definitely tell they share the same designer as the Z1R.

I was relieved to find out that their cup shell is a lightweight aluminum (not plastic.)

They are the single most comfortable pair of cans that I’ve ever worn. For fun, I added a ZMF Crescent Pad and I forgot they were on my head during my hours-long gaming session last night.

May 25, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #9,664 of 9,747
Speaking of, I recently picked up a pair of MV1. These things are tuned incredibly well. Can definitely tell they share the same designer as the Z1R.

I was relieved to find out that their cup shell is a lightweight aluminum (not plastic.)

They are the single most comfortable pair of cans that I’ve ever worn. For fun, I added a ZMF Crescent Pad and I forgot they were on my head during my hours-long gaming session last night.
Don't tell me that. I just sold my Z1R because I have up on over ear headphones^^ and comfort was one of the reasons

Now I feel tempted

May 25, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #9,665 of 9,747
I find the Z1R to be one of the most comfy closed-backs on the market. But. The MV1 is even lighter, open (less heat), and the suede pads are very cozy.

That said, the Z1R still cuts above it in terms of sound, and expects higher quality source gear. I love both, but the MV1 is very good value.

May 25, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #9,667 of 9,747
It's closer to the Z1R than both version of MDR Z7 is. All while being way smaller and more comfortable than Z1R and Z7 mk1&2s.

May 27, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #9,668 of 9,747
Whew!! Started reading this thread about two weeks ago, and am currently on page 511; not reading every post, mind you, but at least skimming it all; trying to ignore cable arguments that erupt about every 5 pages, LOL (and I'd bet much more than that was deleted by mods).

In any event, when I bought a brand new Sony WM1A in late March 2021 (thanks to a kind head-fi'er in Australia), I thought I was late to the party on a product. Welllllll......last Thursday I ordered a new MDR-Z1R from Audio46, so I've come in even later to the party, after the craziness has subsided and attendees are more chill. About, what?, 7.5 years late? hahahaha

May 27, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #9,669 of 9,747
Whew!! Started reading this thread about two weeks ago, and am currently on page 511; not reading every post, mind you, but at least skimming it all; trying to ignore cable arguments that erupt about every 5 pages, LOL (and I'd bet much more than that was deleted by mods).

In any event, when I bought a brand new Sony WM1A in late March 2021 (thanks to a kind head-fi'er in Australia), I thought I was late to the party on a product. Welllllll......last Thursday I ordered a new MDR-Z1R from Audio46, so I've come in even later to the party, after the craziness has subsided and attendees are more chill. About, what?, 7.5 years late? hahahaha
Photos or it didn't happened.😜

May 27, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #9,670 of 9,747

Better late than never! :wink:
Do yourself a favor and let them run in a bit (couple hundred hours; Sony themselves made this recommendation).
"While exact quotes from Sony engineers aren't available, a statement from an internal development discussion highlighted the importance of the burn-in process: The dynamic drivers used in the MDR-Z1R are designed to reach their optimal performance after a period of regular use. This natural settling of the materials helps in achieving the intended sound signature, ensuring the headphones deliver the best audio experience."

The other bit of advice I learned the hard way: form your own opinion on the Z1R's without external influence.
I succumbed to the opinions of others, sold my Z1Rs because "they're so many better options for the money," continued my search in the high-end, only to end up purchasing the Z1R again. :)

Also, I've heard so many people mention that their appreciation of the Z1R only continues to grow with time. I know this has been true for me.

May 27, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #9,671 of 9,747
Better late than never! :wink:
Do yourself a favor and let them run in a bit (couple hundred hours; Sony themselves made this recommendation).
"While exact quotes from Sony engineers aren't available, a statement from an internal development discussion highlighted the importance of the burn-in process: The dynamic drivers used in the MDR-Z1R are designed to reach their optimal performance after a period of regular use. This natural settling of the materials helps in achieving the intended sound signature, ensuring the headphones deliver the best audio experience."

The other bit of advice I learned the hard way: form your own opinion on the Z1R's without external influence.
I succumbed to the opinions of others, sold my Z1Rs because "they're so many better options for the money," continued my search in the high-end, only to end up purchasing the Z1R again. :)

Also, I've heard so many people mention that their appreciation of the Z1R only continues to grow with time. I know this has been true for me.
Yep, totally plan to have them on my (LOL) "burn-in rig" (an old iPod touch w/ a janky battery) while not actually using them for at least the first week. I am a bit of a Sony fanboy, but have to admit the MDR-Z1R were never on my radar because I've been "back" in the full-size headphone realm only the past 12+ months or so. I mean, I was aware of their existence, I just never paid any attention.

Expected delivery is day after tomorrow. I normally don't give a rat's *** about such things, but I am actually looking forward to unboxing a brand spanking new Sony product again.

Last edited:
May 28, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #9,672 of 9,747
After having sold my MDR-Z1R to my son as I hardly ever used them any longer (use the IER-Z1R 99% of the time) I have bought a set of MDR-MV1 just to have a full size set for those few time I need that and I totally agree that the MV1 is kind of a baby Z1R and they will fully satisfy me the few time I’ll be using full size phones

May 28, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #9,673 of 9,747
Nice surprise this morning from UPS...a text saying my MDR-Z1R would be delivered today, a day early. I literally opened the box about 15 minutes ago and snapped some pics, not something I tend to do.

For those curious:
--SN: 16,0xx
--Mnf Date: 12/2023 (see pic; thus, the constant rumors I've seen posted earlier in this thread about EOL and new model, etc. continue to seem out of line)
--I've seen a couple allusions to this, but SN etched inside the case matches the SN on the headphones
--from my pics you can also see that yes, my box was wrapped with that gauzy white fabric

Busy day for me, so hope I can get these on my head. Oh, as with countless others, I was *stunned* to feel how light these are, yet also so apparently robust at the same time. Typical awesome build by Sony...yada yada yada...I know...I am waaaaay late here in my praise, hahahaha.

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpeg
    IMG_0154.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0156.jpeg
    IMG_0156.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0157.jpeg
    IMG_0157.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0159.jpeg
    IMG_0159.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0160.jpeg
    IMG_0160.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 0
May 28, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #9,674 of 9,747
Enjoy! Best headphone for getting every bit of emotion out of your music.

(And it's flying massively under the radar these days because of its age and because the kids are only interested in the latest offerings.)

20240218_132702.JPG

May 28, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #9,675 of 9,747
Enjoy! Best headphone for getting every bit of emotion out of your music.

(And it's flying massively under the radar these days because of its age and because the kids are only interested in the latest offerings.)

20240218_132702.JPG
I'm curious...is that the Geekria headband cover I saw linked upthread, ohhh, many moons ago? hahahaha

I'm mindful of the more delicate synthetic material on the underside of the headband, so I plan to get something like that to try to protect it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back