Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Apr 8, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #9,556 of 9,635
Yeah, I was practically jumping when I saw the discount; worked out to 30% off MSRP. Totally unexpected.

But the Sony guys told me I was the only one who bought the MDR-Z1R at the show; everyone seemed to be looking for the next new thing, or they had a pair already.
I think something new is in the works by Sony, hence discounts in most stores (not as much as you got). But I think the Z1R will stay a classic hard to get, loathed by many and loved by special few.

Apr 8, 2024 at 2:37 AM Post #9,557 of 9,635
I think something new is in the works by Sony, hence discounts in most stores (not as much as you got). But I think the Z1R will stay a classic hard to get, loathed by many and loved by special few.
I'd be keen to know what they have lined up. But I reckon the Z1R will be a keeper regardless.

Apr 8, 2024 at 3:23 AM Post #9,558 of 9,635
These are really nice looking cables. What are they?
They are lavricables Grand line.
The ground signature of the headphone is not change, but it is refined, I feel that of us has a little bit more resolution and texture, and on the high-treble the peak at 10kHz it simply eliminated i'm making the headphones more comfortable to listen to. I also feel the cable at more soundstage.

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:15 AM Post #9,559 of 9,635
I use this case too and it's been GREAT! Able to slip in the Oriolus BA300 in there to store together.
how do you make sure that the Oriolus BA300 stays in its place?

Apr 8, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #9,560 of 9,635
Got the mdr z1r today, paired ith with my qls qa361 using 3.5mm Kimber cable.

Sounded pretty damn bad, harsh highs, no mids, bloated lows.

Switch over to my expmv5 wm1a through 4.4mm?

Best audio experience I've had. The Sony x Sony synergy is off the charts, I get why some people dislike this pair and others love it, it's super source dependant.

I should get my cable modded mdr mv1 this week and will follow up with a comparison of the two :)

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #9,562 of 9,635
It can be jammed into the mesh pocket inside. But I have a padded VanNuys case to hold the amp and the amp sits between the cups.
could you show us a picture later :) - i am very interested

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #9,565 of 9,635
I can highly recommend the DHC Prion4 OCC Silver cable or if you are looking for something lower cost the Complement C. I haven't had a chance to hear it but the Complement C15 which uses 2 Complement C wires for each channel.

Why OCC? OCC (Ohno Continuous Casting) casting avoids contaminants and other alloys, using only pure metals (i.e. pure silver and pure copper), which allows for optimal conductivity.

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #9,566 of 9,635
Got the mdr z1r today, paired ith with my qls qa361 using 3.5mm Kimber cable.

Sounded pretty damn bad, harsh highs, no mids, bloated lows.

Switch over to my expmv5 wm1a through 4.4mm?

Best audio experience I've had. The Sony x Sony synergy is off the charts, I get why some people dislike this pair and others love it, it's super source dependant.

I should get my cable modded mdr mv1 this week and will follow up with a comparison of the two :)
You must burn it in for 250 hours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back