Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Apr 7, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #9,542 of 9,635
this will be an an easy job for Steve but someone local should be able to assist as well. You probably pay more in shipping back and forth than the actual repair cost. May need to buy new 3.5 mm jacks as well. Eidolic or Furutech are great but expensive.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #9,543 of 9,635
I was really excited to find this setup at my local Sony store in Thailand.

37bac559438eaffaeb5b678bb0f0898e.jpg
64a6ba6199f4092b92e3b5b141e5aadc.jpg
cdff17f294bccc4ffaf61fa99ce65ead.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
That is where I first tried these! In Bangkok Mall. Great product

Apr 7, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #9,544 of 9,635
That is where I first tried these! In Bangkok Mall. Great product
They even have the DMP-Z1 at Siam Paragon Mall along with the new 1ZM2, 1AM2, and ZX707.

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #9,546 of 9,635
They have the DMP-Z1 new? It's been discontinued for a while...
Well, that was last year when I stopped by. I will check again this year and report back.

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #9,547 of 9,635
Had a pair of Z1R and sold it about a half a year ago. Absolutely regretted the decision. Been looking for another pair at a good deal and managed to pick up a pair at a great discount at Canjam Singapore. Paid SIN$1850 for a brand new set, direct from Sony. Woot!! Now for the burn in!

Also in the market for a good upgrade cable.

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #9,551 of 9,635
Had a pair of Z1R and sold it about a half a year ago. Absolutely regretted the decision. Been looking for another pair at a good deal and managed to pick up a pair at a great discount at Canjam Singapore. Paid SIN$1850 for a brand new set, direct from Sony. Woot!! Now for the burn in!

Also in the market for a good upgrade cable.
Dann, my wife just picked up one for me from Sin airport for much more. Lucky you!

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #9,552 of 9,635
I don't know if there are long term accumulative factors of things like sweat, shampoo or hair product chemicals that can eventually break down the leather. The climate in my country is quite humid, with a lot of damp in winter to deal with. I only use my Z1R for about 2 hours each night, then store in a protective style case with dessicant sacs. I believe the Z1R leather to be of a very high quality and if you think about leather jackets or vintage car seats etc I hope they can last for a long time. Lower tier headphones I've owned like the Denon D2000 and those Sony DJ ones with the coiled cable with their pleather pads would spontaneously crack and quickly degrade almost exactly at 7 years. It's the same time for the matte coating on electronics, it becomes gummy. I've seen headphones for sale in my country like the Z7 with the pad breakdown.

I personally hate pleather/PU/"vegan" leather pads and headbands. They ALL end up disintegrating just after a year in Singapore's heat and humidity. ALL that peeling of the PU surface is plain disgusting. Haven't found a good solution to prevent this, even with microfiber wipedown after use or with a spray-on vinyl protector. Leather is the way to go. Spoke to the guys from Meze during Canjam Singapore 2024 about the 109 Pro and they confirmed there's nothing you can do about the peeling so they offer pads and headbands as replacements for customers.

With the leather pads and headband, I do a damp microfiber wipedown every few days to prevent perspiration and salts from accumulating AND I use a leather conditioner every few months. Works well and I've never had cracking. But I expect the foam inside to disintegrate after a few years and eventually collapse. Then I'll have to source for third-party replacements or get them from Sony. I've found that the service centre at Sony can order the parts in from Japan and they keep a pretty good inventory of items.

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #9,553 of 9,635
Dann, my wife just picked up one for me from Sin airport for much more. Lucky you!
Yeah, I was practically jumping when I saw the discount; worked out to 30% off MSRP. Totally unexpected.

But the Sony guys told me I was the only one who bought the MDR-Z1R at the show; everyone seemed to be looking for the next new thing, or they had a pair already.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #9,554 of 9,635
I don't know if there are long term accumulative factors of things like sweat, shampoo or hair product chemicals that can eventually break down the leather. The climate in my country is quite humid, with a lot of damp in winter to deal with. I only use my Z1R for about 2 hours each night, then store in a protective style case with dessicant sacs. I believe the Z1R leather to be of a very high quality and if you think about leather jackets or vintage car seats etc I hope they can last for a long time. Lower tier headphones I've owned like the Denon D2000 and those Sony DJ ones with the coiled cable with their pleather pads would spontaneously crack and quickly degrade almost exactly at 7 years. It's the same time for the matte coating on electronics, it becomes gummy. I've seen headphones for sale in my country like the Z7 with the pad breakdown.
I hate it when the PVC in the cable insulation starts breaking down and gets sticky. The only solution has been to wipe down with isopropyl alcohol then sprinkle talcum powder on them. They look pretty ugly after but they're not sticky anymore. As for the brittleness and cracking, I haven't found any preventives but I use epoxy on the crack bits and they still function fine.

There's also paint-on vinyl but I haven't tried that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back