Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 4, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #9,301 of 9,637
So do I, but even more, I like that guy "Passion for Sound" from Australia.

Cheers!

OK...I like Steve Guttenberg too :)
Passion for sound and Darko Audio are good too :beerchug:

Dec 5, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #9,304 of 9,637
I now own the ZMF atrium and Verite, DCA expanse, and Sony Z1R. I can say without a doubt the most comfortable the are the Sonys. Its like pillows.

Dec 6, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #9,306 of 9,637
After 13 weeks, I got my adapters to use my Sony Z1R labri cables on my utopia.

image.jpg

Dec 6, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #9,308 of 9,637
Looks ugly.
You are straightforward :) But, yes...not the best look :)
I am not much into cables, and if they are very different from one another (I spend a certain amount on better cables, hmm, they also look better with a higher price)... I will eventually buy some Forza cables for Z1R...only for the good looks :)
If not, I like these, which I got with Z1R; I purchased a 4.4 mm to XLR extender, and my ears like it a lot. :)

Cheers!

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #9,309 of 9,637
You are straightforward :) But, yes...not the best look :)
I am not much into cables, and if they are very different from one another (I spend a certain amount on better cables, hmm, they also look better with a higher price)... I will eventually buy some Forza cables for Z1R...only for the good looks :)
If not, I like these, which I got with Z1R; I purchased a 4.4 mm to XLR extender, and my ears like it a lot. :)

Cheers!
What makes the DHC Ultrashort worth the money is that they are designed to be neutral and use the highest quality components, wire and solder. With cheaper adapters who knows what they use or how it's built.

Dec 8, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #9,311 of 9,637
I know... but as long it sounds transparent and lets me use my Z1R cable without having to order yet anither cable, i dont care how it looks
1702027180606.png
:L3000::L3000::L3000:

Dec 8, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #9,312 of 9,637
Everyone is talking about Dan Clark E3 closed back headphones. So hopefully someone will and can compare both.
Still trying to decide between the Z1R and D,9200 as they are ready to drive and E3 is not. They say.
I think its very hard to compare these as these sound completely different.

The E3 sound surprisingly... weird. While the Z1R sounds very wide and more like a live concert, the E3 sounds surprisingly similar to a typical chinese Headphone. A lot of songs will hurt your ears, especially with strong female vocals and the bass sounds very lackluster.

I can listen to the MDR-Z1R without EQ but imho this is not possible with the E3. It reminded me a bit (its still different though) of the Moondrop VENUS.

If you like the Blessing 3, Moondrop VENUS and similar Earphone/Headphone, you'll like the E3 but that is just completely different to the MDR-Z1R. They are basically a cheaper/worse version of the Stealth and the Stealth already sounds strange to begin with

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #9,313 of 9,637
How is the expanse vs Z1R?

I haven't done a direct comparison so this is all from memory but the biggest differences I'd say are the middle bass and mid range. The Sony are more V shaped with mid scoop out which makes certain sounds more distant. It does give things a cathedral like sense of space but it's not as accurate. The treble has more spikes on the Sony which makes certain things a touch sibilant but it's not painful.

The expanse are more power hungry but more portable which is a little funny to me. They can collapse down to a much more portable size but you'll need a portable amp to drive them.

Overall I would say the Expanse are better technical headphones but the Sony are half the price and by far more comfortable. Both are well made and feel premium though I think the Sony seem nicer subjectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back