Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Oct 16, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #9,256 of 9,634
How is everyone feeling about the MUC-B20SB1 cable these days? Also, what is everyone pairing their Z1R with? I am using an iFi iDSD Micro BL, but looking at the new iDSD 2 Neo as an upgrade.

I'm using a lavri Geand pure silver cable

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #9,257 of 9,634
Oct 16, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #9,258 of 9,634
I thought you said you weren't using it now after you had to get it fixed?
I meant i wwill not hsethw cable to clean the jacks, but i may change as royayong full 360 degrees to spread the Seoxit on the DMP can only be done with a sytaight plug, with L-shaped plygs because of the bumper/handles to grab the Z1 is impossible to do a full circle rotation

Nov 3, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #9,259 of 9,634
Does anyone here use a protection cover for the headband? I am just worried about how it might deteriorate with time, it looks so perfect right now.

I have the ZMF co-pilot pads (old and new) and they are both too small to fit the Z1R headband.

Nov 3, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #9,260 of 9,634
Does anyone here use a protection cover for the headband? I am just worried about how it might deteriorate with time, it looks so perfect right now.

I have the ZMF co-pilot pads (old and new) and they are both too small to fit the Z1R headband.
I've had mine for nearly 7 years now and the head band is still fine just with minimal visual cracking on the inside but no actual deterioration

Nov 4, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #9,261 of 9,634

Everytime you finish to use your headphones, use baby towels (or wet towels without alcohol) on the pads and headband padding, then eliminate the moisture with a soft tissue. I did that with Denon 9200s and Z7s when I had them... I think that the padding will deteriorate with sweat.

Nov 14, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #9,262 of 9,634
I stopped uainf curved headphone stands, and now i Use a hanging one

image.jpg

Nov 14, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #9,263 of 9,634
All the time - it's fantastic.
I've learn to appreciate the Z1R tuning after I daily a 2 channel system with a subwoofer hooked to it. I used to baby it a lot, leaving it inside its box whenever i could, but I just leave it perched on the headphone hook I put under the Tazzy 24/7 now.

Nov 14, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #9,264 of 9,634
Everytime you finish to use your headphones, use baby towels (or wet towels without alcohol) on the pads and headband padding, then eliminate the moisture with a soft tissue. I did that with Denon 9200s and Z7s when I had them... I think that the padding will deteriorate with sweat.
Yeah did that on mine religiously after use, the pads still flaked. I think the environment the gear is used also affect it, I live in a pretty humid country and everything seem to deteriorate faster than places thats more dry.

I do keep passive dehumidifier inside my headphone boxes now.

Nov 14, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #9,265 of 9,634
I finally, and unexpectedly, got the chance to demo the Z1R at CAF this past weekend. There were two of them at the Kimber Kable booth. They were driven by the Sony DMP-Z1, but I was also able to listen on my ZX707 that I brought with me due to the 4.4mm termination of the cables. This headphone has really nice bass thump! It doesn't have the same clarity, texture, and immediacy in the bass as an Audeze or the SR-X9000, but in terms of heft, it was distinctive. I would pick the Z1R's bass over either of the Meze Empyreans (1 or 2). The soundstage didn't feel closed-in, which is good for a closed-back, and show conditions aren't the best for evaluating soundstage anyways. I don't think it's as wide as the HD820.

I did run into peakiness in the treble. On the song "Titanium" by David Guetta feat. Sia, the hi-hats starting at 1:00 were pretty grating. That song is just very aggressively mastered, so some glare is inevitable, but I had to turn down the volume because it was too much for me. Oddly though, I thought that cable rolling actually helped here. The peakiness was most noticeable on the Kimber silver cables, and the other Z1R had the copper cables. Those hi-hats weren't as grating when I used the Z1R with the copper cables, even when I turned the volume back up. I listened to the two one after the other after about a minute and a half of listening to the silver cable, and I don't think brains acclimate to a sound that quickly. There was no stock cable at the table though, so I don't know how it sounds stock.

Back home, I listened to the same song on my sticker-modded Z7M2, and I kind of missed the Z1R's sound. Bass was not as impactful or physical. The treble peaks on the hi-hats were reduced, but also the sense of clarity that I heard on the Z1R regardless of the cable. The Z7M2 sounded a bit grainy in the treble in comparison. The Z1R is probably the only headphone I heard at CAF where I went home and wanted to upgrade.

Edit to add: Another advantage to the Z1R is its improved comfort over the Z7M2. I need to use a headband cover on my Z7 since the inner sides of the headband will touch my head and be uncomfortable. No such discomfort existed on the Z1R.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #9,266 of 9,634
You know I kind of like to trip a little when it comes to hearing amazing sound, and I guess I really am getting buzzed off of these since I got them earlier today.

Though yeah I autoEQ’d them and all I really also have is a sony nwzx507 walkman. Plus a fairly basic FiiO Q5s DAC/Amp.

Anyways, I haven’t tried it with the FiiO yet. Though - the walkman is just so much fun with these.

I was using a pair if HD660S - and I put them back on and I was like yep, no going back for awhile, maybe forever.

I’m just happy that I get to hear audio so perfectly sometimes that it does kind of trick me into a happy state and it’s happening allot with these.

Though, my favourite part about these is just how anime ridiculously large they are :).

Nov 15, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #9,267 of 9,634
Anyways, I haven’t tried it with the FiiO yet. Though - the walkman is just so much fun with these.
And extremely easy to drive! I tried them yesterday with Zishan Z4 DAP and plenty of juice left on balanced. I could easily drive them on SE, too. I am waiting in a couple of days A&K KANN Alpha to come. I am curious how it will sound in combo with Z1R. With Z4 is great. And I ordered one portable tube amp from Aliexpress (DLHiFi)...also so curious how it will sound with Z1R. I have a few flagship headphones and, hm...I think Z1R might be my favourite headphones overall looking. Just love them wrapped around my head, even if there is no music playing :)

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #9,269 of 9,634
I finally, and unexpectedly, got the chance to demo the Z1R at CAF this past weekend. There were two of them at the Kimber Kable booth. They were driven by the Sony DMP-Z1, but I was also able to listen on my ZX707 that I brought with me due to the 4.4mm termination of the cables. This headphone has really nice bass thump! It doesn't have the same clarity, texture, and immediacy in the bass as an Audeze or the SR-X9000, but in terms of heft, it was distinctive. I would pick the Z1R's bass over either of the Meze Empyreans (1 or 2). The soundstage didn't feel closed-in, which is good for a closed-back, and show conditions aren't the best for evaluating soundstage anyways. I don't think it's as wide as the HD820.

I did run into peakiness in the treble. On the song "Titanium" by David Guetta feat. Sia, the hi-hats starting at 1:00 were pretty grating. That song is just very aggressively mastered, so some glare is inevitable, but I had to turn down the volume because it was too much for me. Oddly though, I thought that cable rolling actually helped here. The peakiness was most noticeable on the Kimber silver cables, and the other Z1R had the copper cables. Those hi-hats weren't as grating when I used the Z1R with the copper cables, even when I turned the volume back up. I listened to the two one after the other after about a minute and a half of listening to the silver cable, and I don't think brains acclimate to a sound that quickly. There was no stock cable at the table though, so I don't know how it sounds stock.

Back home, I listened to the same song on my sticker-modded Z7M2, and I kind of missed the Z1R's sound. Bass was not as impactful or physical. The treble peaks on the hi-hats were reduced, but also the sense of clarity that I heard on the Z1R regardless of the cable. The Z7M2 sounded a bit grainy in the treble in comparison. The Z1R is probably the only headphone I heard at CAF where I went home and wanted to upgrade.

Edit to add: Another advantage to the Z1R is its improved comfort over the Z7M2. I need to use a headband cover on my Z7 since the inner sides of the headband will touch my head and be uncomfortable. No such discomfort existed on the Z1R.
What cable was Kimber using?

I switched from the AXIOS Cu to the DHC Prion4 which has no harshness. The Prion4 also improves the clarity, texture, and immediacy in the bass which makes it similar to the bass on my LCD-X with the DHC Complement C. The Sony has more heft to the bass due to dynamic versus planar.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #9,270 of 9,634
What cable was Kimber using?

I switched from the AXIOS Cu to the DHC Prion4 which has no harshness. The Prion4 also improves the clarity, texture, and immediacy in the bass which makes it similar to the bass on my LCD-X with the DHC Complement C. The Sony has more heft to the bass due to dynamic versus planar.
They looked like the Axios Silver and Axios Copper cables. I'll keep the Prion4 in mind, but I'm not playing that game right now. Even the Axios is a hard sell for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back