Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Apr 9, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #9,031 of 9,652
I just took the plunge after being on the fence for years. Two days until arrival. Previous headphones include Shure 1540, DCA Aeon Open, and Focal Clear. The Clears were great, but I ultimately am not an open back guy, I like being completely isolated. The Shures are good, but I have to at least try the Z1R. If I love them, I will sell the Shures rather quickly.

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #9,032 of 9,652
I just took the plunge after being on the fence for years. Two days until arrival. Previous headphones include Shure 1540, DCA Aeon Open, and Focal Clear. The Clears were great, but I ultimately am not an open back guy, I like being completely isolated. The Shures are good, but I have to at least try the Z1R. If I love them, I will sell the Shures rather quickly.
I have the Aron Closed X, and they are very good, but the Z1R is better in basically every way. I would be surprised if you disliked them. Congrats!

Apr 9, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #9,033 of 9,652

Curious to hear what you end up deciding! I liked the MDR more than the Clears and ended up letting the latter go!

Apr 9, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #9,034 of 9,652
Curious to hear what you end up deciding! I liked the MDR more than the Clears and ended up letting the latter go!
I liked the Clears, but they were not a relaxing listen, and being open meant I used them less. I sold them some time ago. The Aeons I found way too claustrophobic, and they tended to distort. This was the Aeon first gen though, they have improved drastically. The Shure's have a nice signature though.

Apr 9, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #9,035 of 9,652
I have a 134xx pair. Mine definitely had the peak when it was new 6 months ago, even after the initial 200h burn in. I used my Z1R sparingly after that as I have other headphones. But a few weeks ago I started to notice the so called zingy character seems to be gone for the most part. This is unlikely to be my brain burn in as I have several headphones in rotation and, in the earlier days, I always notice the zingy sound whenever I switched to the Z1R. Now I only notice it occasionally depending on recordings. I suspect the 10k peak issue is sample specific. If you look at crinacle's measurements, only one channel has that high 10k peak. So if yours never had it, you have better luck than me.
Do you recall which tracks you were listening to? I've never heard that either.

Apr 10, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #9,036 of 9,652
I sold my Verite Closed. Now my first to go is Z1R. Not because the Z1R's sound better, but because comfort. For many hours of listening the Z1R always won. They are lighter and not as hot. VC was boiling my ears, every time I had to take breaks after an hour. Z1R even if it gets bit warm, everything is still within the limits of a good comfort temperature.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #9,037 of 9,652
Do you recall which tracks you were listening to? I've never heard that either.
It was with most tracks (pop rock, jazz, etc. especially with female vocal), not just one or two. Less obvious with pure instrumental or classical. With today's iem tuning trends, some people may have been used to many iems with elevated 8k-10k region so are less sensitive to a 10k peak. I however had many years of speakers experiences before started on headphones/iems. Speakers are rarely tuned with that kind of peaks in treble.

Apr 11, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #9,038 of 9,652
IMG_2885.jpg

Love the synergy!

Apr 13, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #9,042 of 9,652
What date of production is safe for getting the last revision of them?
Well there is no official statement from Sony that confirms the existince of any revisions

Apr 13, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #9,045 of 9,652
I have an 13494 and it definitely have the 10k peak. I don’t believe for a second about this rumor. It’s just so not Sony.
I can't say what it is. Maybe individual copies are different from each other. Maybe it depends on the gear. I didn't make measurements. My unit sounds bit different than the one at my local dealer. But there was different gear and Sony seemed very sharp. It's not on my system. I am satisfied with RME ADI-2.
Z1R are not perfect, but they have their own character, let's call it "Sony's style" of playing. And I love it. I don't care about the rest.
I also think they sound great on tube amp. Magic is happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back