Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Mar 23, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #9,001 of 9,746
Wow, this cable is really something with the Z1R... tight and controlled bass, highs cleaned of excessive harshness... (purchased for the D8000)

7012a2b5-cb8a-453d-842a-426944f6345a.jpg
Is that a Clone Silver?

I have the Prion4 for the Z1R and love it. It was a huge upgrade over the AXIOS Cu.

Mar 23, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #9,002 of 9,746
Wow, this cable is really something with the Z1R... tight and controlled bass, highs cleaned of excessive harshness... (purchased for the D8000)

7012a2b5-cb8a-453d-842a-426944f6345a.jpg
Silver I assume ?
Silver is great with either Z1R

Mar 23, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #9,003 of 9,746
About "Z1R does have some peaks in the treble frequencies which some may perceive as bright and even take offense to" - this is no longer true with the latest revisions of these headphones. None of my recently purchased ones. Someone recently confirmed it too. Apparently Sony has made some changes in tuning.
I just compared one of the very first ever made Z1R (demo unit in a store, serial number 37) with the one I own (build a year ago) and they sound absolutely identical.

So not sure if Sony ever changed the Tuning or if the reviewers who tell about the treble peaks were just telling what they've seen in the fr graph.

Maybe it's because people listen at better recorded higher quality music now .

Mar 24, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #9,004 of 9,746
I just compared one of the very first ever made Z1R (demo unit in a store, serial number 37) with the one I own (build a year ago) and they sound absolutely identical.

So not sure if Sony ever changed the Tuning or if the reviewers who tell about the treble peaks were just telling what they've seen in the fr graph.

Maybe it's because people listen at better recorded higher quality music now .
Interesting. I listened to an old unit at a local dealer (I don't remember the number, but it was several years old) and there were high frequency peaks on some tracks. Mainly for this reason I held off buying for two years. Anyway I can't hear it on my Z1R. Maybe it also depends on the gear. Or the individual copies are different from each other?
I use an RME ADI-2 dac and even the HD800S seem to have well controlled treble. Nothing irritates me.
Or maybe my hearing becomes less sensitive with age... :)

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #9,005 of 9,746
Mar 24, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #9,007 of 9,746
What's different between these and pure silver Lavricable?
One is pure silver the other is silver plated copper. I personally prefer pure silver

Mar 24, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #9,008 of 9,746
Interesting. I listened to an old unit at a local dealer (I don't remember the number, but it was several years old) and there were high frequency peaks on some tracks. Mainly for this reason I held off buying for two years. Anyway I can't hear it on my Z1R. Maybe it also depends on the gear. Or the individual copies are different from each other?
I use an RME ADI-2 dac and even the HD800S seem to have well controlled treble. Nothing irritates me.
Or maybe my hearing becomes less sensitive with age... :)
Try "Let it die" from ReoNa^^

Mar 24, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #9,009 of 9,746
No, it's the Final Audio upgrade cable, silver plated, with a stunning build. This one:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/final-silver-ofc-headphone-cables.23648/
No comparison as the Final would be more similar to the stock cable which is also SPC.

The Z1R shines with either an OCC Copper or OCC Silver cable over any SPC, other plated or alloy cables.

I went from the stock balanced to the AXIOS Cu (Copper) balanced and now Prion4 (OCC Silver) balanced. Going from the AXIOS Cu to the Prion4 was a huge jump in sound. Deeper bass, wider soundstage and smooth clean details across the whole
frequency range.

Mar 24, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #9,010 of 9,746
There's usually unit variation but it shouldn't be that overwhelming

I still don't have the perfect cable the gucraftsman is much less microphonic than others but still not as good as stock. however it's much more usable due to the lack of memory wire

Mar 24, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #9,011 of 9,746
There's usually unit variation but it shouldn't be that overwhelming

I still don't have the perfect cable the gucraftsman is much less microphonic than others but still not as good as stock. however it's much more usable due to the lack of memory wire
What memory wire (this is the MDR thread) ?

Mar 24, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #9,012 of 9,746
What memory wire (this is the MDR thread) ?

the MDR stock cable tends to curl on itself for example if I get up rather than uncoiling it'll pull the whole dap

Mar 24, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #9,013 of 9,746
the MDR stock cable tends to curl on itself for example if I get up rather than uncoiling it'll pull the whole dap
What? Use the stock 4.4 cable, it's seriously great and not microphonic. I have used it for years and yes I have tried many other cables.

I know it's not a very popular opinion on this thread but I honestly belive that the stock cable is more than good enough!

Mar 24, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #9,014 of 9,746
What? Use the stock 4.4 cable, it's seriously great and not microphonic. I have used it for years and yes I have tried many other cables.

I know it's not a very popular opinion on this thread but I honestly belive that the stock cable is more than good enough!

That is not what I said.

The stock cable does not have significant microphonics. It is the quietest of all the cables I have for the MDR. However it tends to coil on itself and so is not idea for mobile use. The alternative cables do not coil but are microphonic.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #9,015 of 9,746
That is not what I said.

The stock cable does not have significant microphonics. It is the quietest of all the cables I have for the MDR. However it tends to coil on itself and so is not idea for mobile use. The alternative cables do not coil but are microphonic.
Yes sorry I didn't read it properly.

But I don't agree. It's doesn't coil on itself more than most other cables or maybe mine is just used a lot! Picture below is stock 4.4 and Forza Audioworks Noir HPC MK2. Both great cables but Sonys better for portable use.

IMG_20230324_182939_edit_97091311163829.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back