Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Mar 15, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #8,986 of 9,746
Sony Z1R is definitely more comfortable, owing to its plush (and large) earpads and adequately padded headband, whereas the D9200 has far smaller earpads in all dimensions and a much flatter headband.

For sound, Z1R also offers more bass quantity as well as a marked increase in soundstage width over D9200; these qualities make it imo better for movies and also games, where immersion is necessary; for modern music the bass is also very welcome. D9200 certainly has more resolution capability, owing to its overall brighter tonality, though Z1R does have some peaks in the treble frequencies which some may perceive as bright and even take offense to. D9200 just has an overall more balanced tonality; bass is not as strong as Z1R, but is still excellent with strong dynamics and adequate quantity. Mids are clearer than Z1R for sure, so vocals also have a more defined characteristic to them, though Z1R is no slouch in this regard. Treble is also more forward on D9200, so while details are more immediately noticeable than Z1R, it is less forgiving and also less ideal for laid-back listening sessions. I would say D9200 is better for general music listening, since all genres sound excellent on it, while Z1R is better for movies/games and also for a more relaxed listening experience, in both sound and comfort.
About "Z1R does have some peaks in the treble frequencies which some may perceive as bright and even take offense to" - this is no longer true with the latest revisions of these headphones. None of my recently purchased ones. Someone recently confirmed it too. Apparently Sony has made some changes in tuning.

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #8,988 of 9,746
Do you hook this up to your tv? would love to know how if so.
I would also be interested.

I think there is a Bluetooth receiver on the TV with aptx etc

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #8,989 of 9,746
While I do agree with you, that it is an overall excellent sounding headphone, it is undeniable that Z1R adds some coloration the sound. The elevated bass is certainly the main culprit -- its greatest strength is arguably also its greatest weakness -- and for certain genres, this quality is perhaps less than ideal. Its relaxed presentation does lend to its uncanny ability to make all music sound great, even poor recordings; D9200, on the other hand, will reveal more in the music, even some details that are maybe not so pleasing to the ear.

I will say, I never heard Z1R with the TA-ZH1ES, which Sony apparently intended to pair specifically with it. I have no doubt that this pairing would elevate the listening experience to another level, but the combined cost puts it well into summit-grade territory, where the competition is much less forgiving.
Oh it is totally true that the Z1R is a coloured headphone and is geared for musical immersion rather than accuracy but to me it is a super enjoyable sound sig with anything I’ve ever thrown at it and I listen to virtually anything though my main focus is classical including opera plus jazz

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #8,990 of 9,746
Do you hook this up to your tv? would love to know how if so.
I use an Nvidia Shield android box that outputs LDAC, when I'm sitting a bit closer I will just use USB.

@The1Signature my LG TV outputs aptX, my Shield being android based has LDAC and also allows USB audio output.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #8,991 of 9,746
While I do agree with you, that it is an overall excellent sounding headphone, it is undeniable that Z1R adds some coloration the sound. The elevated bass is certainly the main culprit -- its greatest strength is arguably also its greatest weakness -- and for certain genres, this quality is perhaps less than ideal. Its relaxed presentation does lend to its uncanny ability to make all music sound great, even poor recordings; D9200, on the other hand, will reveal more in the music, even some details that are maybe not so pleasing to the ear.

I will say, I never heard Z1R with the TA-ZH1ES, which Sony apparently intended to pair specifically with it. I have no doubt that this pairing would elevate the listening experience to another level, but the combined cost puts it well into summit-grade territory, where the competition is much less forgiving.
I had a chance to hear TA-ZH1ES. Matching is realy great. But it's not like there isn't another as good or even better. A lot of time has passed since the release of the TA-ZH1ES. And a lot of great equipment has come out since then. We live in a time when new equipment comes out almost every month. I can recommend good alternative pairing Z1R with Shangling H7. Very great match and also mobile one. Or RME ADI-2 is also very interesting. Cable replacement, e.g. FAW Noir Hybrid HPC. If you add to this high quality files from Roon and HQplayer, you have a completely different dimension of headphones. Sony opens up and shows what they can really do. Resolution, separation, dynamics, amazing scene. Headphones go to the next level.

Mar 15, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #8,992 of 9,746
Oh yes. I just had the VENUS for an Review for a few days. It was a brand new and sealed unit. The springs in the self adjusting headband made an constant... Well spring like noise.

You know this specific springy, squeaky noise like an old mattress? I had this with the slightest movement if my face/head muscle, let alone when moving
That's.... Interesting, is Moondrop still one of those companies that can have spotty QC sometimes still?

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #8,993 of 9,746
I use an Nvidia Shield android box that outputs LDAC, when I'm sitting a bit closer I will just use USB.

@The1Signature my LG TV outputs aptX, my Shield being android based has LDAC and also allows USB audio output.
interesting. I have a shield thats about 2 years old and and LG Oled thats last years model. Do you notice any lag using LDAC?

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #8,994 of 9,746
That's.... Interesting, is Moondrop still one of those companies that can have spotty QC sometimes still?
Hmmm i think their QC is average, the quality just is not. Its not like they have bad quality, but... no, its bad.

If you compare the Moondrop VOID and the MDR-1AM2, the MDR-1AM2 feels like a premium product that easily could cost 3-times the money. And they cost the same. One is made of cheap molded plastic, the other is made of metal. The MDR-1AM2 is biuld quality and sound wise better in everything than the VOID and costs the same.

I think people have the impression that ChiFi is cheap because they call 200$ In-Ear "Flagships". I've seen people comparing the Moondrop KATO to the Final A8000 which is insane, the A8000 is worlds apart in terms of sound and build quality. But because they look similar and both are Single DD Flagships, people fell for it.

Marketing is an mighty weapon, especially in a hobby where a lot of young people enter who have not much money or don't want to spend it

I would take the MDR-Z7M2 over the Moondrop VENUS every single time. Its significantly better build and has the better sound.

Moondrop says the only disadvantage of Planar Magnetics is the production cost and they are suprerior to dynamic driver in everything else. While this is not correct in general, selling their VENUS for 599 gives the impression that everyone else is ripping you off selling Dynamic Drivers for higher cost.

But after owning that Headphone for 5 days i can say it costs 599 because it is just not as good. Neither Build Quality nor sound wise is it comparable to most Headphones that are more expensive. There are more expensive Planars that are on the same level or worse, but there are a lot of dynamic drivers that are superior, including the Z7M2

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #8,995 of 9,746
interesting. I have a shield thats about 2 years old and and LG Oled thats last years model. Do you notice any lag using LDAC?
My Shield is the original one that I got about 4 years ago, and still receiving updates!
A majority of the time I don't notice any lag, other times it is so minor it doesn't bother me. Some of the video player apps have a sync option to remedy it, I don't know if developer options have anything?

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #8,996 of 9,746
My Shield is the original one that I got about 4 years ago, and still receiving updates!
A majority of the time I don't notice any lag, other times it is so minor it doesn't bother me. Some of the video player apps have a sync option to remedy it, I don't know if developer options have anything?
guess I need to give it a shot. Wish there was a way to hook up something directly to the oled so that I could listen while switching sources. Being able to watch movies is a good start though. Thanks!

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #8,997 of 9,746
guess I need to give it a shot. Wish there was a way to hook up something directly to the oled so that I could listen while switching sources. Being able to watch movies is a good start though. Thanks!
You're welcome.
I have tried the LG's aptX and it was fine, I prefer my Shield for other reasons but always like to feed high-end gear the best quality input (LDAC).
I don't know if this is in the right direction for you, but you could look at a Fiio D03K which is connected via optical out from your TV decoding up to 192/24, outputting via line-out or rca to an amp (portable). I use one to my Edifier speakers.

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #8,998 of 9,746
You're welcome.
I have tried the LG's aptX and it was fine, I prefer my Shield for other reasons but always like to feed high-end gear the best quality input (LDAC).
I don't know if this is in the right direction for you, but you could look at a Fiio D03K which is connected via optical out from your TV decoding up to 192/24, outputting via line-out or rca to an amp (portable). I use one to my Edifier speakers.
I'll check out that fiio for sure. Im almost positive my Sonos is hooked up via hdmi so I should have optical free. the d03k seems like it would work with a zen v2 pretty well.

Mar 16, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #8,999 of 9,746
Mar 23, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #9,000 of 9,746
Wow, this cable is really something with the Z1R... tight and controlled bass, highs cleaned of excessive harshness... (purchased for the D8000)

7012a2b5-cb8a-453d-842a-426944f6345a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back