Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Feb 16, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #8,926 of 9,690
Feb 16, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #8,927 of 9,690
i had only the stock cable when i sold mine. when reading your experiences with cables, i want to buy again the z1r.

is this the right configuration for the taz / wm1z (m2) ?

do you all said "yes" to "locking plugs"?
because when choosing "yes", i must take "headphone plugs" = "gold" - and cannot choose "rhodium" anymore.
This is what my order looked like 1 year ago, there was no choice then for the headphone end plugs at that time all came with black locking plugs

89870D9D-9D46-405A-B182-17A530E4002C.jpeg

Feb 16, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #8,928 of 9,690
Anyone ever tried using 2 identical TRS aux cable and connect it to their Tazzy/ PHA3? it should work right? might be the cheapest way into good quality cable for Z1R that.

Feb 16, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #8,929 of 9,690
Has anyone tried this cable? They seem to get excellent feedback for their cable quality. The Lavricable's higher-end ones are almost double for me, so was wondering spec-wise how these might compare.

Feb 16, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #8,930 of 9,690
There are a few retailers that let you return, maybe look into those?
This ^
amazon has them with no questions asked returns.

Feb 16, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #8,931 of 9,690
My bad. I bought these for the IER-Z1R. I am getting the chat groups mixed up! My MDR-Z1R is incoming will will probably also get the Lavri since I am happy with how it synergises with the IER-Z1R.

Feb 16, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #8,932 of 9,690
My bad. I bought these for the IER-Z1R. I am getting the chat groups mixed up! My MDR-Z1R is incoming will will probably also get the Lavri since I am happy with how it synergises with the IER-Z1R.
Apologize for the confusion in my previous post for mentioning ier.

Sony 1ZM2 synergies amazingly with MDR Z1R too, Enjoy.

Recently, i give my 3 years old MDR Z1R stock pads a good cleaning. By removing it and wiping it with cotton cloth rinse with mix water and mild hand soap few times. It sounds brand new like the first time i hear it. :D

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #8,933 of 9,690
How is silver with z1r? I had lavricable grand silver for lcd4 and I remember it got a little brighter and cleaner sounding

Feb 17, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #8,934 of 9,690
If you sell the Z1R and think it will be an entirely different thing with a new cable, I think you should just look for another iem. I've bought 3 additional cables for mine, including silver Lavricables and a fresh stock cable, and they all sound great, but better than stock...i think it's pretty minimal. It's one of those few iem's that came with the right cable. Better off getting them a great source.

Feb 17, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #8,935 of 9,690
How is silver with z1r? I had lavricable grand silver for lcd4 and I remember it got a little brighter and cleaner sounding
To me it’s the best I’ve heard and it does not make them shrill or sharp

Feb 17, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #8,936 of 9,690
Just bought back a pair of the z1r today (3rd time i have these 😅) coming from the susvara it took some time to tune my head into the sound. Tried it with stock cable, Heimdall 2 and moon black dragon. (Susvara stock cable doesn’t work with it for some reason)

Stock cable isn’t bad. Heimdall 2 sounds the best as it’s have some heft and details at the same time. And black dragon is slightly darker and smoother sounding.

Feb 17, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #8,937 of 9,690
Just bought back a pair of the z1r today (3rd time i have these 😅) coming from the susvara it took some time to tune my head into the sound. Tried it with stock cable, Heimdall 2 and moon black dragon. (Susvara stock cable doesn’t work with it for some reason)

Stock cable isn’t bad. Heimdall 2 sounds the best as it’s have some heft and details at the same time. And black dragon is slightly darker and smoother sounding.
Has something to do with the polarity of the 2.5mm. Beyerdynamic T1 and Sony Z1R are the odd ducks for the connector type. They're compatible with each other, and nothing else.

Feb 21, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #8,938 of 9,690
i had only the stock cable when i sold mine. when reading your experiences with cables, i want to buy again the z1r.

is this the right configuration for the taz / wm1z (m2) ?

do you all said "yes" to "locking plugs"?
because when choosing "yes", i must take "headphone plugs" = "gold" - and cannot choose "rhodium" anymore.
I have the laveu from @nc8000 and i really like it over the Kimber axios copper or the stock xables

Feb 22, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #8,939 of 9,690
Hi
My first post here :wink:
I am the happy owner of the Z1R since yesterday. At last!
After a long way around of buying a lot of headphones, I came to the starting point. As a former owner of the Z7, I knew Sony had made outstanding headphones and I wanted the Z1R. Unfortunately, guided by the reviews, I went against the flow... Fortunately, I am already on the right path.

I have a model number over 13,400. It seems to me that they sound a bit different than the model I had chance to listen once. Has Sony made changes to the sound tuning over the years?

For example, it seems to me that there are no more peaks that many people mentioned. I still need to burn in them to be sure. They've only been playing for 10 hours. I'm using RME ADI-2 and also Feliks Audio Elise. I'm not sure if the magic RME can make the headphones sound more even, natural, without losing any of the strengths of the Z1R? I am very impressed. Listening pleasure at the highest level!

Feb 23, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #8,940 of 9,690
Hi
My first post here :wink:
I am the happy owner of the Z1R since yesterday. At last!
After a long way around of buying a lot of headphones, I came to the starting point. As a former owner of the Z7, I knew Sony had made outstanding headphones and I wanted the Z1R. Unfortunately, guided by the reviews, I went against the flow... Fortunately, I am already on the right path.

I have a model number over 13,400. It seems to me that they sound a bit different than the model I had chance to listen once. Has Sony made changes to the sound tuning over the years?

For example, it seems to me that there are no more peaks that many people mentioned. I still need to burn in them to be sure. They've only been playing for 10 hours. I'm using RME ADI-2 and also Feliks Audio Elise. I'm not sure if the magic RME can make the headphones sound more even, natural, without losing any of the strengths of the Z1R? I am very impressed. Listening pleasure at the highest level!
The famed 10k peak is horse$#@!. I've never heard it in any recording, any genre. no matter the source or the cable. My Z1R is in the 10100 serial number range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back