Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Sep 30, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #8,686 of 9,635
I really hope sony takes a different direction for the successor to the full size MDR-Z1R, I would like a open back TOTL sony for the next gen, to face off the current open back flagships, akin to the Qualia 010.

Sep 30, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #8,688 of 9,635
Is it possible to see what version I have on the units screen? I dont have a PC so getting it hooked up to one is quite a bit of work.
1. Power Unit On.
2. While pressing the [INPUT] button, press the [ENTER] button 3 times.
The software version is displayed on the display window.
Each time the [V]/[v] buttons are pressed, the various component versions are displayed.

Sep 30, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #8,689 of 9,635
1. Power Unit On.
2. While pressing the [INPUT] button, press the [ENTER] button 3 times.
The software version is displayed on the display window.
Each time the [V]/[v] buttons are pressed, the various component versions are displayed.
Thanks! Should I update based on the following?

Main - 1.11
System - 1.14
USB - 1.03
DSP - .09
FPGA - .32

Sep 30, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #8,690 of 9,635
Thanks! Should I update based on the following?

Main - 1.11
System - 1.14
USB - 1.03
DSP - .09
FPGA - .32
No, you have the latest, 1.03

Sep 30, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #8,691 of 9,635
Im considering the wm1a and dock guys. Most of the stuff on eBay is from Japan. I see a few sellers saying the language can't be changed from Japanese on the walkman. Is this something I need to confirm with the seller before buying or can it be changed?

Sep 30, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #8,692 of 9,635
It can be changed with MrWalkan's firmware, or Rockbox aftermarket firmware.
Im considering the wm1a and dock guys. Most of the stuff on eBay is from Japan. I see a few sellers saying the language can't be changed from Japanese on the walkman. Is this something I need to confirm with the seller before buying or can it be changed?

Sep 30, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #8,693 of 9,635
I had the same dilemma when I got my WM1Z, imported from Japan on eBay that had Japanese firmware but the solution is quite easy, you only need NwDestTool here:

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

Sep 30, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #8,694 of 9,635
Sep 30, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #8,695 of 9,635
sweet. I think I read one of your posts mentioning some special firmware that made the sound on par with the wm1z. Was that right?

thanks!
Well that's a subject of debate, how close to the WM1Z you can get with a software modified WM1A. The most improvement (in my eyes) happened with what MrWalkman's firmware did to change to WM1A. There are various renditions of the firmware with resulting expressions of tone, yet most all of them, no matter which you chose go to improve the WM1A substantially. The burning question is if the WM1A is a direct parallel to the WM1Z afterwards........and that answer is no. There are structural components which affect the sound. The sound is a mixture of both hardware and software. There will always be that last remainder of 10% that escapes the WM1A from emulating the Walkman 1Z entirely. Primarily the 1A is more mid centric, where the 1Z has a more rounded and substantiated bass. The bass is just way more noticeable........with the 1Z. Also the treble is more spacious and tilted-up. Such frequency add does a dramatic change to bring things like cymbals into focus. Where the WM1A is more about midrange crunchy guitars......that and a faster more nimble bass response.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #8,696 of 9,635
Well that's a subject of debate, how close to the WM1Z you can get with a software modified WM1A. The most improvement (in my eyes) happened with what MrWalkman's firmware did to change to WM1A. There are various renditions of the firmware with resulting expressions of tone, yet most all of them, no matter which you chose go to improve the WM1A substantially. The burning question is if the WM1A is a direct parallel to the WM1Z afterwards........and that answer is no. There are structural components which affect the sound. The sound is a mixture of both hardware and software. There will always be that last remainder of 10% that escapes the WM1A from emulating the Walkman 1Z entirely. Primarily the 1A is more mid centric, where the 1Z has a more rounded and substantiated bass. The bass is just way more noticeable........with the 1Z. Also the treble is more spacious and tilted-up. Such frequency add does a dramatic change to bring things like cymbals into focus. Where the WM1A is more about midrange crunchy guitars......that and a faster more nimble bass response.
I appreciate the detailed write-up. I just grabbed the wm1a and dock but maybe I'll grab the wm1z as well to compare. I tried a newer version walkman on Android and did not like it at all, then again Im generally not a fan of android os. Im a huge bass head so Im guessing I will gravitate towards the 1z even though Im hoping the 1a is enough since it seems to be a little smaller.

Sep 30, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #8,697 of 9,635
I appreciate the detailed write-up. I just grabbed the wm1a and dock but maybe I'll grab the wm1z as well to compare. I tried a newer version walkman on Android and did not like it at all, then again Im generally not a fan of android os. Im a huge bass head so Im guessing I will gravitate towards the 1z even though Im hoping the 1a is enough since it seems to be a little smaller.
Well, in the grand scheme of things...........both come in handy.............with me anyway. As I have some IEMs that I'm learning about that need that midrange energy and wake-up to the WM1A, then there are other midrange forward IEMs that seem to gravitate to the WM1Z, so having both and appreciating each for their own intrinsic qualities seems to work.........for me anyway? So having both is not a waste....I think?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #8,698 of 9,635
The Z1R + TAZH1ES sounds great independently but i cant tell a big difference between that and plugging my Schiit Gungnir DAC into it line in using Kimber Kable Silver Streak. Maybe the $1000 schiit isn’t good enough to really improve the DAC built in to the TAZH1ES

Oct 1, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #8,699 of 9,635
The Z1R + TAZH1ES sounds great independently but i cant tell a big difference between that and plugging my Schiit Gungnir DAC into it line in using Kimber Kable Silver Streak. Maybe the $1000 schiit isn’t good enough to really improve the DAC built in to the TAZH1ES
Can tazh1es be used as pure amplifier only?

Oct 1, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #8,700 of 9,635
Can tazh1es be used as pure amplifier only?
hmm idk. i imagine the dac is always doing something. anybody know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back