Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Aug 7, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #7,397 of 9,638
I bought all my Sony signature gear unheard over the internet as none of it has been available in any shop in Denmark but I have not one minute regretted any of the purchases and it has given me thousands of wonderfull hours of listening per year since I bought it and has left me with no desire to even try anything else
You're lucky that you've had no buyer's remorse with your Sony products. With that being said, Sony has a famous house sound, at least where the lower registers are concerned. Anyone blind-buying Sony, and is expecting a lean bass response, is simply looking for trouble. :wink:

Aug 7, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #7,398 of 9,638
You're lucky that you've had no buyer's remorse with your Sony products. With that being said, Sony has a famous house sound, at least where the lower registers are concerned. Anyone blind-buying Sony, and is expecting a lean bass response, is simply looking for trouble. :wink:
Indeed. Sony is musical euphonic, not at all neutral or “reference” and I love how it just draws me into the music and let me enjoy it rather than analyze it. And to me it is great no matter what genre I throw at it

Aug 7, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #7,399 of 9,638
I bought all my Sony signature gear unheard over the internet as none of it has been available in any shop in Denmark but I have not one minute regretted any of the purchases and it has given me thousands of wonderfull hours of listening per year since I bought it and has left me with no desire to even try anything else
Like you i bought my gear also unheard. Wm1A IER-Z1R and IER-M7 brand new. MDR-Z1R 2nd hand from @purk

Aug 7, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #7,400 of 9,638
Indeed. Sony is musical euphonic, not at all neutral or “reference” and I love how it just draws me into the music and let me enjoy it rather than analyze it. And to me it is great no matter what genre I throw at it
Nicely put.
I imagine there is something to be appreciated about a neutral reference sound, but like a photo, if the colours have been boosted a little bit and they pop out it can be visually more appealing than the original.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #7,401 of 9,638
I blind bought the Z1R and WM1A, but had already owned MDR-1000X noise cancelers, MDR-Z7, and used NW-A45 and ZX300 Walkmen. So yeah, I had a pretty good idea of the signature to expect.

Aug 7, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #7,402 of 9,638
Probably my biggest difference was understanding the 1Z? The MDR-Z1R I heard before purchase and it changed once I got home and it burned-in, whatever that is? But the Walkman 1Z kept changing more and more?

Aug 8, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #7,403 of 9,638
To this day i always think if @purk hasnt regretted having sold his Z1Rs
image.jpg

Aug 8, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #7,404 of 9,638
To this day i always think if @purk hasnt regretted having sold his Z1Rs
Not really. I really love my electrostatic setup and HD800. I also prefer the sound of my older Sony headphones that I recabled recently for balanced amplification. Our point of references and preference are not the same.

Aug 8, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #7,405 of 9,638
Not really. I really love my electrostatic setup and HD800. I also prefer the sound of my older Sony headphones that I recabled recently for balanced amplification. Our point of references and preference are not the same.
My Shure SRH1540 headphones are still my favorite, and I have several other flagships and HD650s.

Aug 8, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #7,406 of 9,638
hmmm so there I am looking for a WM1A lately, I so regret not buying a WM1A with a dignis case that went up for 550 usd about a year ago locally.
and now found another local listing for one priced at 625usd.
is that a good deal? or no?

Of course I'm gonna use it to drive a lot of my gear, had my XBA A3 recabled to 4.4, while for the Z1R and Z7 I'd need to finally bust out the Z1R's cable probably (had been using the dual 3.5 from Z7 to plug into my topping with an adapter to save the new cable from wear and tear) even my T1 is 4.4 also.

I know all the Sonys are gonna be driven fine with the 1A.
But what about my Beyer T1? Will the infamously Conservative sony DAP have enough power to drive it well?

Aug 9, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #7,407 of 9,638
hmmm so there I am looking for a WM1A lately, I so regret not buying a WM1A with a dignis case that went up for 550 usd about a year ago locally.
and now found another local listing for one priced at 625usd.
is that a good deal? or no?

Of course I'm gonna use it to drive a lot of my gear, had my XBA A3 recabled to 4.4, while for the Z1R and Z7 I'd need to finally bust out the Z1R's cable probably (had been using the dual 3.5 from Z7 to plug into my topping with an adapter to save the new cable from wear and tear) even my T1 is 4.4 also.

I know all the Sonys are gonna be driven fine with the 1A.
But what about my Beyer T1? Will the infamously Conservative sony DAP have enough power to drive it well?
I don't know what your import taxes/exchange rate are like but Addicted to Audio in Australia have a very low price for new if you can find a shipping agent:

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/coll...ts/sony-nw-wm1a-portable-digital-audio-player

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #7,409 of 9,638
Aug 9, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #7,410 of 9,638

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back