Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
May 4, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #7,006 of 9,638
I have the lambskin pads as a backup to stock. The difference is minimal. I find the isolation to be slightly less because of the shape, which may lead to a very slight reduction in bass, but I would have to do a double blind test to really tell if it's not just in my head.

I think they're a worthy backup given the price of stock replacements.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #7,007 of 9,638
I use these at £34 for a set

https://www.ebay.com/itm/110mm-Angl...-/184390888982?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

F948FDBF-4C6C-4A45-993B-EDD677D050D0.jpeg

May 4, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #7,009 of 9,638
I am curious, how do you attach these to a z1r? Do you use an adhesive?
You remove the mounting ring from the stock pads and insert it in the new ones or you 3D print a new set of rings

May 4, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #7,012 of 9,638
I just found a second hand Z1R and I'm looking to some alternative pads, if someone here want to sell his Dekoni or no name chinese brand, I'm interested! I will make some measurement with my minidsp Ears to share on this topic asap!
how does the pads of your used pair looking when it came? I know the upper part of the pads are all leather but the underside aren't, is that the part yours worn most?

May 4, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #7,013 of 9,638
how does the pads of your used pair looking when it came? I know the upper part of the pads are all leather but the underside aren't, is that the part yours worn most?
Have you finally bought them? Like you, I love my Z7s, they are so relaxing... and I'm interested in your Z1R impressions and if you find both similar or different and what will you decide to do with the Z7s (keep or sell).

May 4, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #7,014 of 9,638
Have you finally bought them? Like you, I love my Z7s, they are so relaxing... and I'm interested in your Z1R impressions and if you find both similar or different and what will you decide to do with the Z7s (keep or sell).
I've not tried the Z7's, but those that have said the Z1R's are like their big brother IIRC

May 4, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #7,015 of 9,638
Yep, I had the Z7 (first version) and once I got the Z1R I sold my Z7. It retained the main things I loved about the Z7 (comfort, plentiful bass, build quality, laid-back nature) but added a greater degree of resolution and clarity. I also think the bass on the Z1R is notably cleaner. I had a brain lapse at one point and traded my Z1R, but I missed them very much so when a local deal came up recently that I couldn't pass up I rejoined the Z1R club and will never let them go! :)

May 4, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #7,016 of 9,638
I've not tried the Z7's, but those that have said the Z1R's are like their big brother IIRC
There are some people here that find them different and retain the Z7 for certain genres. Like, for example, @Redcarmoose

May 4, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #7,017 of 9,638
I’m definitely keeping my Z7s but trading in the Z1R. They just don’t sound the same on the Dave. It was fun for the last 2+ years. It’s a little odd though that the TA amp paired considerably better than an 11k amp/dac from Chord, which makes fantastic amps and other electronics. It would be awesome if Sony had an open back version of the Z1R. My main complaint is that they feel too claustrophobic on the Dave. Everything works fine but that ultra focused, closed in sound stage. It’s akin to being locked in a very small room with Kef Blades at high volume. You love the sound just not the venue in which it’s playing.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #7,018 of 9,638
I’m definitely keeping my Z7s but trading in the Z1R. They just don’t sound the same on the Dave. It was fun for the last 2+ years. It’s a little odd though that the TA amp paired considerably better than an 11k amp/dac from Chord, which makes fantastic amps and other electronics. It would be awesome if Sony had an open back version of the Z1R. My main complaint is that they feel too claustrophobic on the Dave. Everything works fine but that ultra focused, closed in sound stage. It’s akin to being locked in a very small room with Kef Blades at high volume. You love the sound just not the venue in which it’s playing.
Huh. That's interesting that the electronics impacts it so much. I've actually found the Z1R to have more soundstage than even a couple open-backs I've heard. It's not an HD800, but I've not felt claustrophobic. I will say, going from the Z1R immediately to the Verité Open does make it more apparent that they're closed backs, but... That's also what I love about them.

I guess if you're limited to only one pair of TOTL cans, the Z1R may not satiate most on being the most well-rounded, but you could do a lot worse IMO lol. I've cut my collection down to only about 4 or 5 headphones, the top two being VO and Z1R. Complementary to one another. Closed vs. Open, exciting vs laid back, but both still within the sonic realm of what my ears find satisfying.

May 4, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #7,019 of 9,638
Huh. That's interesting that the electronics impacts it so much. I've actually found the Z1R to have more soundstage than even a couple open-backs I've heard. It's not an HD800, but I've not felt claustrophobic. I will say, going from the Z1R immediately to the Verité Open does make it more apparent that they're closed backs, but... That's also what I love about them.

I guess if you're limited to only one pair of TOTL cans, the Z1R may not satiate most on being the most well-rounded, but you could do a lot worse IMO lol. I've cut my collection down to only about 4 or 5 headphones, the top two being VO and Z1R. Complementary to one another. Closed vs. Open, exciting vs laid back, but both still within the sonic realm of what my ears find satisfying.
The impact is quite profound in my experience. Z1R paired with the TA amp, a Naim Uniti Atom streamer and all Nordost Frey 2 power coming from an Ansuz Acoustics power distributor along with Nordost Tyr 2 rca interconnects made them sound almost as if they were open back. They certainly sounded better than Sonoma M1 that I still have. It was the weirdest thing. Granted the streamer and the choice of interconnects was wrong given that Sony TA digitizes its rca inputs but this setup worked quite well until I found something immensely better.

The thing is, I have no regrets with the switch to Chord Dave. It pairs extremely well with Meze Empyrean to the point that I’m thinking that this can be my main pair of headphones for quite a while without thinking of chasing after novelty. All I’m really thinking of adding is the M Scaler and that’s it. I already have a streamer that I’m satisfied with. End game might be within reach.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #7,020 of 9,638
There are some people here that find them different and retain the Z7 for certain genres. Like, for example, @Redcarmoose

I got both, first bought the Z7 (mid 2017), 5 months later the Z1R. IME as @Redcarmoose, they have enough different characters to use them according to genre. The Z7 suits more rock oriented genres, while the Z1R fits more bass oriented ones. The Z7 it's also more convenient for moving around the house and do work, while Z1R it's best to just sit, relax and listen.

The Z1R it's way more comfortable in the long run, as the pads have better cushioning and real letter (they're still holding as day 1), while the Z7's pads are starting to feel a little squashed. To me it was worth the upgrade and will continue to own them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back